Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ok so this may sound like a really dumb question but after i was surprised ... General Blackberry forum

rghost no está en línea Stack level 1

Using my camera usb cable to charge the berry

Advertisement

ok so this may sound like a really dumb question but after i was surprised to learn there are actually quite a few differences between ethernet cables, i must ask this one:

Do you think i can use my camera's usb cable to charge the berry without damage? It has all the same connections, but because it is 1/3 the lenght, takes up less room and doenst tangle in my laptop case.

But its not the original to the device.

Camera Cable: usb 2.0 80 degrees 150v
    blackberry: usb 2.0 75 degrees no voltage listed
    but both have a lot of other numbers that make no sense to me.

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead
    Hard to tell unless the voltage is known. I wouldnt but thats just me.
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    I plugged my Fuji cable into my BB and nothing happened. I was hoping for a lightening bolt, but nothing at all came up.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

USB cables should be as such: "universal". But apparently that doesn't always seem to be the case with chargers. (Case example: the cross over of the Razr charger works with a BlackBerry but the BlackBerry charger does not work with a Razr.)

You won't damage anything by plugging it in; at worst, nothing will happen. At best, it will charge your BlackBerry, and there isn't much in between, and likely nothing at all.

The voltage ratings printed on the cable are for the cable itself, not for the devices plugged in at either end. Most likely, the manufacturer which molded the USB connectors to each end did not make the cable, and therefore bought it from a cable manufacturer. All stock cable from any reputable manufacturer will have its tolerances printed on the jacket, as that cable could be used for many applications, and not just for molding on USB connectors.

And that's the cable lesson for the day. (When you're an engineer and you've been to conferences and sat through white papers on cable manufacturing, you remember some things! )

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~my bb charger worked on 3 of my friends razrs. I also use my Bluetooth charger on my bb and it works just fine

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Stacey, I am corrected then.

There were a few threads from a month ago or so where quite a few stackers reported not being able to charge a razr with a BlackBerry charger.

I never checked mine, because it wasn't an issue for me.

But if yours works, then it works.

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    I would be careful when doing this and pay attentiont the voltage ratings of the out put. Being that you get a USB cable to sync and charge you blackberry from the PC. One can assume that since USB power out puts at 5.5 volts that the blackberry accepts the same. Somewhere inside the BB the voltage is reduced to 3.7 volts to charge the battery. If you take a look at your battery it is noted on there. It is safe to assume that the BB has some flexibility but i wouldn't bet on it being anymore than +/- 5 %. this is what most electronics are rated at. My 2 cents

hchai no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    I am using the USB cable from my Nikon D50. Works just fine

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i won't recommend it personally. I always use a blackberry brand.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    A USB cable with the proper connectors should be the same as any other. Otherwise it would be a USB Cable. USB is an international standard and to properly be called USB they must meet the standard. Chargers are a different story though.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    ~via BB~ Ever since changing to a salvaged 7250 from a 7750 I had no cable to charge or sync I
    Then unpluged my twelve dollar
    Didgital cam and used the cable to both charge and sync many berrys. being a longtime cheap skate or maby too lazy to get one I have used the universal
    Cable they are all the same
    If the dm is installed then so are the drivers but once in a wile it won't charge or sync with my notebook but its all in the CORRECT DRIVERS being installed and the conections being set properly (com 3 or usb ect,) so get the
    Five dollar cable not the thiry
    Dollar one as they are all universal thats the U in usb.
    And after all just because you pay more dosnt mean your getting more.that's the beauty of having
    Industry standards so you have the choice of where you can purchase you accessories instead
    Of being mandated too a propriatary conector or device
    Well time to get of this thing
    PL

mikearend no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Using my camera usb cable to charge the berry

Me too... I left my BB USB in the Philippines so I am using a camera USB from my Olympus...I figure my Nikon cable will work too

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Nikon D70 cable is used alot by me. Just to lesson the amount of cables I carry with the large amount of travel I do.

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Sony camera cable works just fine for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast