I've just setup a new HTPC, everything is running perfectly but the one thing I'm ... General Blackberry forum

thBBgeek no está en línea Stack level 1

Use Blackberry as HTPC Remote Control

Advertisement

I've just setup a new HTPC, everything is running perfectly but the one thing I'm missing is a remote control. The one thing that I have with me at all times is my Blackberry (8530). Since it has wi-fi and bluetooth, it would make a perfect HTPC remote control but I can't find any software for this purpose. Does anyone know if such software exists? I would like to be able to control VLC player, adjust the HTPC volume and also control my DVD player. If my Blackberry could do all of that I would be very happy. Thanks.

malejko no está en línea Stack level 2
    http://www.bluctrl.com/ -- BluCtrl will control your bluetooth enabled PC, but not your DVD player unless you rig up an infrared output from your PC to control other things.

... after trying a Firefly remote, bluctrl, and other learning remotes though; I ended up getting a refurbished Logitech Harmony remote for like $60 and am glad that I did. Otherwise I was going to go high-end with some Control4 stuff.

jzee no está en línea Stack level 1
    Here is another option:
    Vectir - IR, WiFi and Bluetooth Remote Control

This program will let you control your HTPC (via Bluetooth or WiFi) as well as your DVD player but you will have to purchase a device called a USB-UIRT. Vectir uses the USB-UIRT to record IR commands from your DVD remote control and then resend them. You can map keys on your Blackberry to the IR commands.

I'm using Vectir for controlling my HTPC highly recommend it

$50 for a USB-UIRT + $20 for Vectir = $70
    $60 for refurb Logitech Harmony + $10 for USB PC remote on eBay which you just use the USB IR receiver for = $70.

I went for the latter so that when guests come over they can use the remote.

thBBgeek no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to go for Vectir + USB-UIRT since I really want to use my Blackberry as the HTPC remote control. Also, my coffee table is cluttered with remote controls and I don't want any more.

k.. your choice. I'm sure there's other options as well; these are the two biggest ones I know of.

The point of the Logitech is actually to get rid of _all_ of the remotes on your coffee table though... worked for me.