I did a search here on Pinstack and did find several older threads about this ... General Blackberry forum

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

USB Device Not Recognized

Advertisement

I did a search here on Pinstack and did find several older threads about this issue, but wanted a "fresh look" at the problem. Since I'm an experienced user I expected to be able to run one search on here and VOILA problem solved.

So, two different computers, two different USB cables, both were working on Friday. Yesterday my laptop started with this message:

USB Device Not Recognized
    One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize is. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message. (Clicking does not do anything except open up the Troubleshooting app for MS, and that's ALWAYS so helpful!)

Then today I get in to work and find the same message popping up on my work machine! Kinda makes me a little cranky.

I just thought this morning that perhaps it was the USB connector on my BlackBerry, but oddly, I can charge the device with a wall charger USB.

8830 on Verizon running 4.2.2.196 (have been on this OS for a few months with no issues), no major software installs this weekend (did install Empowered, but have had this on several different times), she has been having trackball issues, so perhpas she's just tired.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hey Woodi,

Two possible scenarios:

1. Your computers need to be rebooted to reset the USB ports.
    2. You need to download and install the latest USB and modem drivers from here.

Hope this helps!
    Roger

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68
    Tried rebooting, no good.

Went to your link, but it doesn't show an english download only French, Italian, Spanish and German.

I assume reinstalling the DM would reload the USB drivers, so I did. Still nothing. When I plugged my BB in after reinstalling it said, "New Hardware Found: BlackBerry Smartphone" and then told me there was a problem installing the device and that it might not work properly.... and it didn't.

Strange part is that it's charging properly (even on the computer, not just wall).

celldepot no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi, I just saw your post. I think it is your USB port on your phone that is bad. Look inside and look at the 5 tiny pins that the USB connects to. Are they all uniformly visible. I think one of them is out of position or has disconnected from the inside. So the phone charges since the pins are connected for that part, but if does not connect to your pc since the pins used for that function are damaged.