Is it possible that T-Mobile or Cingular locked my BB7100t when I was traveling to ... General Blackberry forum

jc.ve no está en línea Stack level 1

Question USA Carriers Locks roaming phones?

Advertisement

Is it possible that T-Mobile or Cingular locked my BB7100t when I was traveling to the US?
    My carrier in Venezuela is Digitel (900MHz band) and since I came back my phone doesn't connect to Digitel's network. "Emergency Services Only".
    I'd tried the following:
    - Put the SIM card in another phone: It works
    - Cold reboot: It doesn't
    - Restore from desktop manager back up: It didn't
    - Wipe Handheld: Didn't
    - Restore again: Didn't work
    ...and my carriers tech support but they don't sell BB and can't help me

diabloboi87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca

Re: USA Carriers Locks roaming phones?

JC

From your Home Screen go to Options|Network. What is your network and what is its selection mode?

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

I think some carriers will lock your sim if it used abroad without them being informed. But I don,t think they could lock your phone.

Gaz.

Quote Originally Posted by diabloboi87
    JC

From your Home Screen go to Options|Network. What is your network and what is its selection mode?
    Thanks diabloboi87.

Network: Emergency Services Only
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic

I'd tried Manual mode too, and only can get emergency services.

Is there a way to know if my phone is locked?
    When I type MEPPD in the Settings->Advance->SIM Card menu all that appears is Disabled excep for Network, that is Inactive. I also typed MEPP + Alt 2 (no spaces, just to see if it ask for a code) and got no answer. This means that my phone is unlocked?

Quote Originally Posted by gazar
    I think some carriers will lock your sim if it used abroad without them being informed. But I don,t think they could lock your phone.

Gaz.
    Thanks Gaz.

The first time I turned my phone on in USA I receive a short call from a really short number and I didn't answer that. I did not tried using my BB in that moment. When I landed in my final destination I turned the device on again and received another call from an unknown number. I picked this one but the calls ends 2 or 3 secs later. Nobody talks, and I couldn't see the number in the call log.
    ???

I used my phone normally since that. Sometimes I had to switch to Cingular because of the signal, but when turn back to T-Mobile, everything was fine.

I don't know what's happening with my phone but I'm trying to discard some options. (Sorry if this was confusing, my english is not that good).

My carrier doesn't have tech support for BB, so thank you very much guys for your help .

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by jc.ve
    Is there a way to know if my phone is locked?
    When I type MEPPD in the Settings->Advance->SIM Card menu all that appears is Disabled excep for Network, that is Inactive. I also typed MEPP + Alt 2 (no spaces, just to see if it ask for a code) and got no answer. This means that my phone is unlocked?
    If it was a locking issue you'd get a SIM error anyway. Sounds like a problem with the device itself...

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    If it was a locking issue you'd get a SIM error anyway. Sounds like a problem with the device itself...
    I'm agree with you, but I haven opened yet (and I'm sure that if there is something broken that is not obvious to me, I can't figure that there's something wrong ). I'll be buying a screwdriver set by this afternoon anyway, jejeje...

I don't remember if I drop my phone since last time I used it in USA and before I turned on in Venezuela. I think I didn't...

Thanks takeshi, I'll be telling you what I find when open it.

I contact tech support from T-Mobile and after a couple of fails triying to explain them that I wasn't interested on unlock codes, they told me this:
    "Using your phone in the United States would not lock it back to our network". If that's true, good news, but then, my phone has something else. I'll be telling you.

Thanks a lot.

IT'S ALIVE!
    This morning I turn my BB on and... surprise!, get connected.
    What happened? I don't know.
    The only thing I did different than other days is to ensure that any of the blank filled configurations (I mean, whit no characters on it), where in fact blank. I erase (nothing) in any suspicious configuration...
    But I think that my carrier looked for my device and found it. I really don't know.

Thank you all for your help !!!

I think I have some contribution to the forum, after all:
    1. BBs don't get locked back and, as COJO 24 says, it seems to be not possible (without coding).
    2. How to know it's locked?
    a. In (depending on your current theme) Options->Settings->SIM Card type MEPPD (for 7100t). If the option "Network" is "Inactive" and then you type MEPP2 or MEP2 or MEPPD2... () and nothing hapens, I think your phone is unlocked. Please, check this...
    b. Insert another carrier's SIM (that works in a band your BB can operate). If you get connection, then is unlocked.

It's good to be in the air again...