It would be nice that the device memory could be upgraded from 64 MB to ... General Blackberry forum

MannyC525 no está en línea Stack level 2

Upgrading Device Memory

Advertisement

It would be nice that the device memory could be upgraded from 64 MB to at least 128 MB. Today, flash memory is starting to get reduced in prices as we can see from our flash drives. Plus, each day we are in a need for bigger storage, especially those you use it for e-mail and texting limitlessly.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Re: Upgrading Device Memory

That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!! Maybe if enough ppl post in here Hayden can send it to RIM as a suggestion. . . what do you think hayden????
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

MKhora no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241AAFB7

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~A good
    Navy hacker could probably do it only problem would be compatability

semiar no está en línea Stack level 2

I dont think the BlackBerry was built to store emails its a communication device. I Sync everything to my outlook and back things up every 6 months from there. SMS you can email to youself also.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Still is a good idea. But I'm always trying to keep my phone's memory as clean as possible so my phone runs fast and smooth. I wonder if we'll need a better processor or improved os as well.

c1chrisc1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6B92F

64MB is good enough for me. But hey any improvment is better than no improvment.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I would just like to have room for some more 3rd party apps. I have to kinda limit myself.

dj flyy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244ac444

I was disappointed the 8320 (or any new release models) didn't have larger internal memory. As you said, the technology is there.

I find myself clearing browser logs, sms/mms in and outboxes, and call logs every morning to get through my day without too much lagging.

Oh well. Maybe next year? I'll ask santa in december...

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I'd love more memory, 512 would be great and I could not cost that much more. You're right, flash RAM is cheap.

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck

For me personally, it wouldn't be enough for ME to upgrade my phone immediately. My technique is to erase all of the emails from my device, not the server. I usually respond to important emails that need attention immediately, everything else can wait til I get to a PC. I will welcome extra memory with open arms when its time to upgrade.

psyko825 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

i wouldnt know what to do with myself if i didnt have to delete my messages, call logs, clear my event log and do a memory cleaning every morning so things run smooth all day. scary

Firefishe no está en línea Stack level 2

The BlackBerry platform isn't just for email anymore. It is an enterprise class device that has worked it's way into the consumer market with astounding acceptance.

This notwithstanding, the BlackBerry is still a phone and suffers from a viewpoint that says that all phones are limited, have limited resources, and, therefore, must be designed that way.

This old paradigm is sorely in need of being thrown out of the industry. The days of the early cell phone/pda with 16mb of RAM are dead. Considering 64mb has been a sort of minimum standard for ten years and that only recently have we been seeing handhelds with 512mb should be a red flag that innovation has been trailing on the tails of complacency for far too long now.

Memory is cheap. Engineering, licensing, and consulting costs are what are holding back innovative technologies from taking form. The smaller developers have a hard time when their 8 month coding project just hit a snag, merely because some company wants ten grand just so the developer can sign the application.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Projects like OpenMoko need our support more now than ever (www.openmoko.org [and .com] ). What is needed for we BB Owners is something like OpenMoko for BlackBerry, much like the open development platform of WindowsCE exists for the Pocket PC non-commercial crowd.

Enterprise applications of a large nature are the most likely to have deep-pocket cash support, but when an application only has a couple of writers behind it, with limited funds, there is no need for the programming language patent holders to get so greedy as to demand multiple thousands of dollars from those who can not afford it.

If an app is for non commercial use, then no fees for signing should be necessary, nor should there be signing fees for an application below a certain dollar, euro, or pound sterling range, say something like $100,000.00.

Anything larger than that could then be looked upon as commercial enterprise, and by the $100K mark, any application programmer should be well on their way to financial solvency, and can, therefore, afford a $10K signing token.

I still think $10K is a bit much, though, and encourage companies to make things more affordable for the beginning developer.

In summary, low memory, slow and inefficient processors, slow data busses, inefficient power management, and crippling inherent features (like Verizon Wireless did with the Bluetooth OBEX file transfer capability on some phones and GPS functionality of their offerings of the BlackBerry 8830 and 8130 push email Internet smart phones) will continue to stifle innovation in a market that is long overdue.

A new consumer market has emerged for the enterprise class BlackBerry. Consumers need GPS freely enabled and Bluetooth services unrestricted. How consumers connect and to what type of data is their business.

The only job a carrier has is to make sure the network is up and running, not the content or type of data on the network. Just so long as the network is capable of handling the data efficiently and quickly, with none or few errors.

Outside of that, carriers like Verizon Wireless need to get out of the content policing business and focusing on empowering their users--especially BlackBerry Users--with the freedom to use whatever application software they want, not what the company wants.

That old top-down paradigm is also dead. Consumer Choice and Freedom are the royalty of the new market! Verizon Wireless needs to figure this out before their investors ditch 'em for greener pastures and their subscribers sue them into oblivion for misleading advertising and anti-trust!

Be Well. --The Firefishe

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

you know what I was really thinking about starting a new thread in this forum about device memory on a blackberry, however i do see that a bunch of my fellow stackers feel the same way. I wake up every morning and check my memory, I'm usually betwen 10-15 mbs of memory left. I have all my media of course on my memory card, so my emails, address books, texts, mms, notes and memos, passowrds, call logs and applications take up a huge porion of my internal memory. If RIM wants to stay a leader in their industry they have to mkae a few adjustments just like the patents that I've seen for the tilt and slide, and touchscreen blackberr devices. Some of the windows devices have larger internal memory some of the other devices I've seen have more than 64mbs of built in memory. A larger amount of memory will definately, no questions ask improve the experience of the blackberry. Make it a more valuable experience. it will increase productivity and use of customers blackberry devices. They won't have to worry about power cycles to free up more memmory, or have to worry about losing call logs or messages that may be very important and have to waste time to try and find these messages or numbers again. More memory is what we need
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

dankstang no está en línea Stack level 1

New Sprint Curve...more memory?

Any words on memory size for the new Sprint Curve?
    I'm running from a PPC6800 with 64 of ram because it's not enough.

Does BB offer anything better?

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    i think everyone here should email RIM and ask them to do this.

suggestions@rim.com