I have an 8100 with Tmobile, running 4.5.0.124. This is an unusual problem, one unlike ... General Blackberry forum

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3

unknown problem with my tethered internet connection

Advertisement

I have an 8100 with Tmobile, running 4.5.0.124. This is an unusual problem, one unlike any other I've encountered while using my 8100 as a tethered modem.

In the past when I've had a problem with tethering my BB to my laptop, it was because it couldn't connect to the connection I had made. With this problem, I can connect to my dial up connection without issues. Even though my laptop says I am connected, Firefox won't work, my anti-virus will not update, nothing works! I have done a hard reset of my BB, restarted my laptop and even created a new dial up connection, changing no default settings. Again, it connects fine, but I'm apparently really not "connected".

I know the issue is not my laptop because I have two laptops, and it does the same thing on both. I'm thinking a wipe of my BB, but I don't know. I use Vista.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    do you have the extra initialization commands put in right? apn?

the problem is probably either in settings or at the carrier's end of the bargain...
    i see RED...

Yeah, the ini command is still in the modem settings. This is also weird: I tried the modem query in modem settings and it wouldn't query when its connected to the dial up connection; but when its not connected it queries fine. I'm not late on my bill, obviously lol.

I'm accessing pinstack from the device, so shouldn't it work as a modem too?

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569B255
    You don't have to wipe your device for that. It could be that you are missing some settings for Vista. Let me check. I'll get back to you. Try pinging if you can, in the meantime to see if it's your provider with some tricks up the sleeve.

Thanks. I'll try a ping. I'm looking at the modem log in "phone and modem options" in vista and it says

22:29 - Receive Connect but CD was low, waiting for signal to go high

22:29 - After waiting 20 ms CD is still low.

It repeats the second entry several times in the log. Also, in the Network and Sharing Center, I found a connection status box, it says my IPv6 Connectivity is "Limited"

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    "limited" means that its not actually connecting to the internet... im tethered with my laptop right now and im using vista, never had to change any settings to make it work on vista... but i have a different carrier...
    i see RED...

I just tried pinging. All 4 requests timed out. Also ipconfig is telling me IPv6 doesn't have an IP address.

Also: anybody with BB messenger, my pin: 247b5b21
    Last edited by green_light; 04-06-2009 at 12:50 AM.

PIN/ID
    2569B255
    Try iPV4

Under ipconfig IPv4 comes up with an IP address.

PIN/ID
    2569B255
    If it still doesn't work, it might be due to the provider. Some don't allow tethering. Mine works here

I just talked to Tmobile customer service. Apparently there is an outage spanning from the East coast to (at least) Milwaukee, WI (my area). Big outage. They are working on it but they didn't give me a time frame for completion.

Thanks for all your help!! Hopefully they get this outage fixed, a lot of people must be affected by it.