Why must data services be "on" when you want to surf the web, even if ... General Blackberry forum

Gigamaster89 no está en línea Stack level 3

Under Mobile Network Options...

Advertisement

Why must data services be "on" when you want to surf the web, even if only with wifi?

I don't have a data plan and I'm a tad paranoid about randomly getting out of wifi and eventually using EDGE, thus, getting charged.

Under connection preference, I have "Wifi Preferred", if I changed it to "Wifi Only", that would mean that if I'm not in wifi range, I would end up not connecting to anything, thus, not being able to make calls right? If not, correct me, I don't know if Mobile Network Options is only for data settings or what.
    Last edited by Gigamaster89; 06-26-2008 at 01:17 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Are you only using the data plan? If you have voice as well, you shouldn't be concerned about using EDGE.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Just re-read your initial post and it sounds like you have both voice and data. WiFi is for data only. Even if you're out of WiFi range, you are on the EDGE network which is voice and data. If you have unlimited data, you needn't be concerned at all.

chsguyi69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215B74E3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have the blackberry data plan that's $20 per month. I use it all the time without reguar use of wifi. There have been any extra charges from TMO for data use. Text and MMS are not under the data plan. Best reason for using the wifi is for me wifi calls from ny curve are not counted against my minutes. Contact me through pin if you like

Shawn
    243183D7

I think you're misunderstanding. I have voice, but no data. That's why I mentioned wifi because I'm on that all the time (as it is generally all around me.)

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigamaster89 View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding. I have voice, but no data. That's why I mentioned wifi because I'm on that all the time (as it is generally all around me.)
    What carrier do you have?

I have a data plan and I'm a tad paranoid about randomly getting out of wifi and eventually using EDGE, thus, getting charged.
    Hence the misunderstanding you.
    Last edited by Eddie_gauge; 06-26-2008 at 12:36 PM.

I'm with T-Mobile.

I missed the don't apparently, my bad

I'm with T-Mobile.

I missed the don't apparently, my bad
    With Tmobile if you do not have the data plan and it somehow switches off of wifi when set for wifi preferred it will

A) Give you an error message that you must be in network coverage

B) Surf over WAP (extremely slow, isn't guaranteed to work, but won't get you charges unless you are out of the country)

C) let you surf over EDGE/ BIS ( only if somehow you got set up incorrectly in the network and even if that is the case if you do not have the blackberry feature on the billing account you won't get charged. Network side gives the access, billing side charges you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge View Post
    With Tmobile if you do not have the data plan and it somehow switches off of wifi when set for wifi preferred it will

A) Give you an error message that you must be in network coverage

B) Surf over WAP (extremely slow, isn't guaranteed to work, but won't get you charges unless you are out of the country)

C) let you surf over EDGE/ BIS ( only if somehow you got set up incorrectly in the network and even if that is the case if you do not have the blackberry feature on the billing account you won't get charged. Network side gives the access, billing side charges you.)
    That's weird, but that might explain why I wasn't charged on my previous phone when I went on tzone by accident. Doesn't make much sense though if they don't charge you even if data is going through your phone.

Basically, without a data plan and lets say out of wifi range, even if I somehow managed to go on the web by accident, I won't rack up any additional charges?

That's weird, but that might explain why I wasn't charged on my previous phone when I went on tzone by accident. Doesn't make much sense though if they don't charge you even if data is going through your phone.

Basically, without a data plan and lets say out of wifi range, even if I somehow managed to go on the web by accident, I won't rack up any additional charges?
    You got it. T-mobile gives you basic basic internet for free (basic tzones access) so you are able to send and receive MMS and, depending on phone model, IM's. As long as you are not roaming outside of the USA or on a regional 3000 min plan (or some other ancient plan that is not nationwide) you will be fine. As far as possible full access to the internet/ BIS If the feature is not on the account you won't be charged for it, even if you manage to access it.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    i was thinking. you might not have DATA but you Might be paying 5.99 a month for TMOBILE web? ...