This is an old article, written in '02, but considering UH8ME's BB thumb post I ... General Blackberry forum

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

Type In Private - Part of an Article on BB'ng

Advertisement

This is an old article, written in '02, but considering UH8ME's BB thumb post I thought would just add a bit to the lighter side... and point out yet another reason why everyone in america should replace talking loudly on their cell phone's in public or at work (that's for Naibors co-worker to see) with PIN or Email messaging..

[FONT=arial,helvetica,univers]"TYPE IN PRIVATE." Anybody with thumbs, I've discovered. I now see legions of BlackBerry fans in meetings, around town, even in church. "There's something really nice about being able to type in private," says Yogen Dalal, a venture capitalist at Mayfield Fund who says he quickly got used to the tiny keys. And users are adopting a slew of quirky private and public behaviors. E-mailing in the bathroom, for example. Or obliviously entertaining onlookers in public by scowling, swearing, or even verbalizing their scrolling and typing into the tiny screens. "Dit-dit-dit-daaaa--Send!" they yelp. And I get lots of brief e-mails from BlackBerry users written in vowel-optional shorthand that Redwood City (Calif.) lab technician Evelyn Miller calls "Vanna-language"--(c u @ th mtng).

Jill W. Mullen is a chief technology officer at Merrill Lynch & Co. (MER ), a big BlackBerry customer. She says her investment bankers especially love the devices, but their impact is being felt all over the company. For example, Merrill meetings are now judged successes or failures based on how many people whip out BlackBerries instead of paying attention, she jokes. I'm told many users now call the increasingly familiar BlackBerry posture of head down, hands in the lap under the conference table, the "BlackBerry prayer."

Obviously, the device's biggest appeal is real-time info: Smythe European Motors ace Mercedes salesman Tony Spencer says his BlackBerry has won him sales from his demanding Silicon Valley clientele, such as when his sales manager e-mailed the salesforce that a silver version of a $90,000 car Spencer was test-driving with a client had become available. Spencer paged back "SOLD" on the spot. "I wouldn't take a call in that situation, and the car would have been gone by the time we got back," he says. Los Angeles attorney Nancy L. Abell even uses her BlackBerry at the bargaining table. During a difficult negotiation she zapped a change in strategy to one of her colleagues just a few chairs away. "He responded, and we were set," she says.

But can folks keep their BlackBerry use responsible, polite, and lawful? Already, some users defy airline rules about turning off devices by hiding them in their laps. Tony Spencer's wife, Chris, likes his love notes, but not the thought that he's in the car driving and typing at the same time. Oh, and one last caution to the Silicon Valley venture capitalist who "prays" often throughout the day: Your assistant does not recall BlackBerry-directed Starbuck's runs being in her job description, Bucko. [/FONT]
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Type In Private - Part of an Article on BB'ng

Thanks Jade, love the last sentence!

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

CAPONE no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    300C099E

Good article.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

~via SUPA BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Let us observe a moment of silence so that we can have a 'blackberry prayer'

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yes. This is the only kind of prayer I would participate in. Let's pray. Great article.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Great find. I guess I am praying all day LOL I type with my head down all day.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Good find Jade. Never knew I was so religious.