Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I work as a contractor for a BlackBerry competitor. (Well, I don't honestly consider their ... General Blackberry forum

silverdreams no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240BB776

Question Two phones, one number?

Advertisement

I work as a contractor for a BlackBerry competitor. (Well, I don't honestly consider their smartphones to be any competition compared to a BlackBerry, but my opinion on that matter doesn't really count.) The company has just issued us phones of their brand (not smartphones), but at the same time will no longer allow us to be seen using a competitor's phone on the premises (well, except in our cars). I'm not looking forward to going out to my car in the middle of winter to use my BB to make phone calls on my breaks, so I was wondering if there is any easy and free solution (I really don't want to have to pay for an additional line!) that will enable me to quickly and easily switch between phones so I can use the competitor's phone at work and my BB everywhere else? Is it at all possible to get an additional SIM card from my carrier (AT&T) that is programmed with the same phone number as the one in my BlackBerry? (I don't want to have to be constantly swapping my SIM card between phones, since I still need to [covertly] check my BB briefly at times to see my calendar or tasks.) If so, can I simply power down the BB while the other phone is on? Would it be possible to turn the BB back on briefly to check my calendar without turning the other phone off? Um, am I making any sense? I'm confusing myself. :P Does anyone have any good ideas that don't include getting an additional number? Help!

JustinHerrera no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Two phones, one number?

Dang. Good luck. That sounds like quite a pickle you are in.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I was going to suggest swapping SIM cards till I saw that you proactively ruled that option out.

Have you considered being a contractor for RIM. That way you'd be able to proudly check your blackberry anywhere.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

I say quit that job, you are going to live a long depressed life!

Disclaimer: Please dont quit your job, I will not pay your bills for you.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Don't think it's possible, like said above other than switching out your sim card each time.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

silverdreams no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240BB776

Thanks guys. *sigh* I figured I didn't really have a choice but to play the SIM card swapping game if I wanted to use both phones but not buy a second number. I'm being pressured to just give up the BB and switch to the phone they gave me, but I don't really like that option. My BB Curve is a darn good smartphone. I'm gonna have to think about this some more.

jumper3006 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301AA1C6

since the curve is small, you can check your messages covertly while in the mensroom stall and use a bluetooth headset to make calls using voice dial. Just make sure your company's branded phone is in plan sight like in a holster on your waist and no one will be the wiser.

pauldeibert no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24B2108D

Since it isn't a smartphone, could you just forward all phone calls to the new phone from the BB (Phone Log, Options, Call Forwarding), but all the data services will still be on the BB?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Also, you can still access your calender and to do lists on the curve without having to have the simcard installed. The emails will wait until you reconnect the bb with the system to download.

Zo

BBATT no está en línea Stack level 2

i saw you didn't ever say the name of the company you work for umm im kinda currious as to what one you work for (also i did notice you did do it for a reson which i guess is you dont want us to know....but i gotta)
    Last edited by BBATT; 09-18-2007 at 09:26 PM.

skunk22civic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2408989b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ well you just answered your own question...

Natox no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207E4A

I dont get it , why would a company not let you have your own phone, that to me is descrimamting.. it's like I cant take a cruise if i dont travel with RCCL ? they dont do that , they let me do whatever I want I dont think is right to say to someone that you cant use ceirtain kind of phones . Can a Coca Cola drink Pepsi instead ? at their Jobs ? I think that unless they can pay for me to cancel my service, and pay for the early cx fees they dont have the rights to tell me where or what phone to use.. JUST MY $0.02...

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

They aren't saying he can't use his phone, just not at work. I am more than sure that a pepsi sales rep isn't allowed to drink coca cola while making a sales call!

I think the idea of sticking your bb on vibe in your pocket while displaying the works phone is a good idea!! Lol

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

You may want to run this past an attorney but because you are a contractor and not an employee the company cannot prevent you from using your own equipment for not company business (break time).
    If you are issued a device as part of the contract are they paying the bill? If so you are not to use it for non company business. If you get the device as a perk for being a contractor do you get to keep it at the end of the contract?
    Unless your contract task is to represent the company to clients or the pubic you cannot as a contractor be prevented from having a pda as long as it dos not interfer with your job.
    Just my thoughts.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I dunno if this will help, but Grandcentral may be a solution. http://www.grandcentral.com/home/intro

You get a new number and you can add as many mobile or land lines you want to it. I know you said you didn't want to get a new number but this is a free and pretty easy solution.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast