Hello Stackers, I own two Blackberry devices, a Curve and a Storm. The Curve is ... General Blackberry forum

BeamMeUp no está en línea Stack level 2

Two Desktop Manager versions on one PC

Advertisement

Hello Stackers,

I own two Blackberry devices, a Curve and a Storm. The Curve is my work phone and the Storm is my personal phone. The Curve is BES while the storm is BIS. I'm thinking of installing two versions of DM (version 4.6 for the Curve and 4.7 for the Storm) to keep the BES and BIS functionality completely seperate from each other.

Is it even possible to install two versions of DM to a single PC?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Curve 8330 & Storm 9530

Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.

-Ambrose Bierce

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Hmm you can try but you will need to run the correct one for each phone if it works...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Unless you have partitions on your PC, I don't think it's possible to have two copies of DM. If you attempt to install another version of DM it will simply overwrite the version you already have on the PC.

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Unless you have partitions on your PC, I don't think it's possible to have two copies of DM. If you attempt to install another version of DM it will simply overwrite the version you already have on the PC.
    agreed.
    every time I install a version of DM to a computer that already has it on there it does exactly what rogro described.

sorry man
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Thank you very much for the feedback. I was thinking that might be the case. RATS!!

I may give it a try on a separate partition, but there may be common files that get used by the PC that will use bits and pieces from both DM applications, that may lead to getting a call from my IT manager wondering what I'm doing to his communications network.

If anyone has any further opinions, fire away.
    Curve 8330 & Storm 9530

Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.

-Ambrose Bierce

jonesjj no está en línea Stack level 3
    Have you tried to create a new user for on your computer? Just for the work phone. It'll probably still have to be the same version of DM But it would be separate like you wanted. You might have to reinstall DM and uncheck use these settings for all users.
    Last edited by jonesjj; 02-07-2009 at 11:52 PM.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjj View Post
    Have you tried to create a new user for on your computer? Just for the work phone. It'll probably still have to be the same version of DM But it would be separate like you wanted. You might have to reinstall DM and uncheck use these settings for all users.
    This has worked for me in the past when I was first learning and trying to keep info updated on my wife's pearl and my curve. It works well to keep them separate but I am not sure if it will work since one is BES and the other is BIS. But this might be worth looking into.

That is a good idea jonesjj! And the fact Moderncowboy validates it works makes me think this could work in my situation.....given I've thrown in the BES/BIS hurdle. I won't be doing anything until tomorrow or the next day, but this is very good information and I appreciate it. Thanks for your feedback.
    Curve 8330 & Storm 9530

-Ambrose Bierce