I've been a Palm guy for 10 years, and am ready to toss it overboard ... General Blackberry forum

mattminahan no está en línea Stack level 1

Two Cool Palm Features

Advertisement

I've been a Palm guy for 10 years, and am ready to toss it overboard for a Bb 8830. BUT, there are two Palm features that the Bb appears not to have, and it doesn't make sense, so I thought I'd come to the experts here:

1) can it be true that Bb does not call up names from the address book when making calendar entries? It appears that I have to enter into the calendar the entire name of the contact . . . whereas the Palm has an autocomplete function that reads names from the contacts data base, and prefills them into the calendar entry. Any ideas or suggestion on this? and

2) can it be true that, in the weekly calendar view, there is no way to change the color of the entry? The Palm allows me to use different icons, and different colors for different types of meetings, in the weekly and daily views. Any suggestions or ideas on this, too?

Thanks, all!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Two Cool Palm Features

I don't think there is an auto-complete feature available. I'm not sure, most of the appointment of mine I use Outlook to input them.

Unfortunately you cannot change entries to different colors or icons. The BB Calendar is lagging behind on this front. I know that there are a few 3rd party developers working on a solution to this. I wish the same thing. Would love to be able to add Icons and color code things. Just not available yet.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

I am a recent long time Treo user... and now a convert - I have used both the features you describe extensively, and can honestly tell you that I don't miss them as much as I thought I was going to.

I added 3rd party apps on the Treo (Agendus or DateBook, etc) to get the ultimate use of icons and colors... still don't miss it.

The new PocketDay beta will be available soon for version 5... I'm guessing this functionality could be easily added if the developer is approached on this topic.

Make the switch... the rest of BB functionality is light years ahead of Palm or WM in my now recent experience... you won't be sorry

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by mattminahan
    1) can it be true that Bb does not call up names from the address book when making calendar entries? It appears that I have to enter into the calendar the entire name of the contact . . . whereas the Palm has an autocomplete function that reads names from the contacts data base, and prefills them into the calendar entry. Any ideas or suggestion on this? and
    Remember that a BlackBerry is really designed for Microsoft Exchange integration through a BES server. On my BES connected BlackBerry when I add an attendee to a meeting/appointment, it shows me my personal contacts where i can choose one just as I choose someone to call.

But if I want to add someone from my company that is not in my contacts, I can select [Use Once] to enter their name manually or "Lookup". Lookup is amazing, since it lets me lookup a contact on the company's Exchange server directory (we have 20,000+ people there) and when I find the contact I want, it will download their entire contact details and I have the option to add them to my personal contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by mattminahan
    2) can it be true that, in the weekly calendar view, there is no way to change the color of the entry? The Palm allows me to use different icons, and different colors for different types of meetings, in the weekly and daily views. Any suggestions or ideas on this, too?
    Nope. BlackBerry calendars use colors internally, but not configurable for entries. I would suspect that since Outlook 2007 finally added real color control, it is something they might add in the future. Again, remember that this calendar is different because it is designed to be synchronized from a BES server.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

There are some "colorful" things that Palm can do that BB can't but, as others have said, from there BB takes over. It will take some adjustment but you will be very happy you switched.