I presently have a 2-week old Blackberry 8820 on AT&T but am giving serious consideration ... General Blackberry forum

budh no está en línea Stack level 2

Turn 8820 in for a Curve or Pearl? (tight fit in front pants pocket)

Advertisement

I presently have a 2-week old Blackberry 8820 on AT&T but am giving serious consideration into turning it in for a Curve 8310 or a Pearl.8100

Money is not that much of a consideration. What is a consideration is that I am a guy who often has the cellphone in a front pants pocket.

1. Is the 8820 worth being 0.2" wider and 0.3" longer just to have Wi-Fi? Is there any other benefit to the 8820 over the Curve?

2. I think I would have little trouble adjusting the Pearl keyboard if necessary. Is there any other downside to the Pearl over the Curve or 8820?

I like the 8820, but I also realize that having that thing in a front pants pocket is a bit tight!

Bud H

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Turn 8820 in for a Curve or Pearl? (tight fit in front pants pocket)

i like my curve...the size is perfect (have used 7100, 8100 and 8800) and i MOSTLY put mine in my front pocket

go in the store and test them out

can't comment on the wifi...but don't guys always want it faster idk...im satisfied with the load time and such with my curve

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

hey man I have a 8830 and i use a belt clip from seidio, and i think thats the way to go. keeps it out of the front pocket and the trackball away from the lint. just a personal preference. gotta find what works for you. like cherri said try them all out.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB

I gotta tell you, there's not much of a difference in my pocket between the pearl and the 8820.
    this leads me to the conclusion, ( especially after also having a palm and an 8825 ), that the biggest factor in pocket-carry is the thickness of the device.
    The 8820 is a little bit thinner than the Curve.
    Also, depends if you like a camera or not.
    As far as wifi, I like to surf around while sitting at home watching tv. Sometimes it goes faster if I connect to my computer through it's wifi router.

I am thinking if I had to do it over again, I'd take a closer look at the keyboard differences between curve and 8820, as I am in the difficult stage of typing on my 8820 right now. Hoping that the keyboard will break in a little, and I'll get more used to it. Everything else about the device is awesome. I don't know why, but I 'feel' that the 8800 has a better build quality than the curve.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I have all three:
    Pearl
    Curve
    And I too only carry mine I'm my front pocket. My favorite is the Curve. For example, It's only 6mm wider, 1mm thicker & 5mm taller than a RAZR.

My preference for the Curve is based on fact that it has the nice large screen of the 8820 while having the best keyboard.

I use a RexRegina Leather case to keep pocket lint & dust out of my BB. This is a very well made case that is thin & does not have a belt clip. Therefore it does not ad extra size or bulk. After using it for a year my BB looks like new. Not a single scratch or mark on it. The perfect solution.

~via Red BB Cuve (wap.pinstack.com)~

muck no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2054A42F

i have both 8820 and 8310.

i think youd be wishing u had the 8820 for its better battery life, over teh smaller form factor, in the long run.

anyway. u have to start bulking up for the 8xxx so u might as well get used to the bigger form factor now it will be easier in may

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    i think youd be wishing u had the 8820 for its better battery life, over teh smaller form factor, in the long run.
    The battery life I have experienced is the same for the 83xx and 88xx series. It simply varies depending on each individuals usage.

Mr D no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    The battery life I have experienced is the same for the 83xx and 88xx series. It simply varies depending on each individuals usage.
    I highly doubt that as the 8820 has a bigger battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D View Post
    I highly doubt that as the 8820 has a bigger battery.
    Your mileage my vary........(especially if yours is defective)

I'm simply comparing the two of mine side by side, and the 8820 returns the exact same run time as my 8310. I must admit it's a lot of fun to have several BlackBerrys to compare. Plus I'm in good shape if one is lost or damaged. My backups are all ready to go.

Cheers....

muck no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2054A42F

try using your 8800 battery in the curve. they are different sized batteries. 1200mah compared to 1000mah. its 20% bigger. my 8820 will easily go 1/2 day longer than my 8310, and thats with wifi on all day.
    Last edited by muck; 01-08-2008 at 02:36 AM.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

I love my curve but I have to admit. I do miss the size of the pearl. But to each it's own. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    I love my curve but I have to admit. I do miss the size of the pearl. But to each it's own. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I do understand as I too enjoy the size of my Pearl.

This is exactly one of many advantages provided for us by RIM, and that is there is a BB choice for everyone. Unlike a Palm, Moto-Q, and Blackjack where you only have one choice of form factor, size and the like. BlackBerrys offered in the three basic sizes and shapes offer flexibility and choice the other smart phone makers do not. This is why I have more than one BlackBerry, it's nice to be able to switch between the different models depending on the occasion and what I'm going to be doing. The Pearl is a great casual weekend phone, or for any time that one is only handling the odd email, and not doing a lot of texting. So small it nearly disappears in your pocket.

Then let's not forget as the first BB primarily aimed at the consumer, it really put BB on the map and made it highly visible to the public customers, who in many cases did not know what a BlackBerry was. Even today when I notice the stats regarding how many people on the forum are viewing the various areas, the Pearl threads remain populated by the highest number of users in many cases.