Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

To borrow from "cherrichiodo's" quote in her front page article: "Research In Motion ’s (Nasdaq: ... General Blackberry forum

  1. #1
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996

    True Difference: BlackBerry v. iPhone

    Advertisement



    To borrow from "cherrichiodo's" quote in her front page article:

    "Research In Motion ’s (Nasdaq: RIMM) BlackBerry is not wildly successful because it is a computer at its core. Its success lies in its efficient communications capabilities —

    _worlds beyond merely slapping a microphone and speaker onto a slick device_ "

    "Worlds beyond, sounds like a description of the iPhone 3G.

    To read more of my take on this simply click on the link "Archers Blog" here in my signature below.

    To read the rest of the quoted article go to the link on todays front page.

    Cheers
    Archer6

    Posted via: Red BB 8310


  2. #2
    ma077146's Avatar
    ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Posts
    945
    Another true difference is that many Blackberry users won't ever be interested in switching to an iPhone, no matter the features or eye candy that Apple adds to it.

    I'm not saying the iPhone isn't a good device; so no flaming responses please. I am saying that that I like Blackberry devices, have used them for years so I'm familiar with them, and I can't see any advantage to myself changing.

  3. #3
    crazy_cajun's Avatar
    crazy_cajun no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    PIN/ID
    31b6fa46
    Posts
    169
    simply stated before,
    iphone in all incarnations = playtoy maybe a phone for children
    blackberry = a real phone for people who actually like to use the phone for everyday use and who like control over their own hardware, apple controls the iphone hardware and software so you cannot install 3rd party apps....iphone = still sux
    Einstein's theory of relativity. Grab hold of a hot pan, a second can seem like an hour. Put your hands on a hot woman, an hour can seem like a second. It's all relative.

  4. #4
    Jbee's Avatar
    Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
    Another true difference is that many Blackberry users won't ever be interested in switching to an iPhone, no matter the features or eye candy that Apple adds to it.

    I'm not saying the iPhone isn't a good device; so no flaming responses please. I am saying that that I like Blackberry devices, have used them for years so I'm familiar with them, and I can't see any advantage to myself changing.
    I think that was a wise statement. iphone is for play(For people who have the $ to throw away...), and BB's are for people who have had other devices or are business-minded and need the power and support that BB's offer. There is a distinct difference of the two devices. The main this that I remember about iphone was the fact that a lot of people waited in line for this device, and most found heavy disappointment in it's function and feature, esp. w/their bill. I think this new device will give iphone upgraders a chance for a better experience from Apple, but not something a previous BB user would be comfortable w/.

  5. #5
    ma077146's Avatar
    ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Posts
    945
    Something I've never understood about Apple portable devices is that a user can't change the battery themselves (advantage, Blackberry).

  6. #6
    Jbee's Avatar
    Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
    Something I've never understood about Apple portable devices is that a user can't change the battery themselves (advantage, Blackberry).

    That would not be a problem for me, because of my knowledge of electronics....the shear madness of tearin' things apart, but for the novice or the tech-challenged, this would be crippling.

  7. #7
    tgeekb's Avatar
    tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Posts
    669
    Why do people find it necessary to compare devices that are designed for different audiences? The iPhone (still relatively new) is pretty nice as an entertainment device. A great browsing experience, music, movies. That being said, the Blackberry is mainly a business/email device. It is secure and reliable. There is nothing wrong with both existing in the same world though both have features that cross over a bit. Buy what you will be happy with.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

  8. #8
    Jbee's Avatar
    Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    Why do people find it necessary to compare devices that are designed for different audiences? The iPhone (still relatively new) is pretty nice as an entertainment device. A great browsing experience, music, movies. That being said, the Blackberry is mainly a business/email device. It is secure and reliable. There is nothing wrong with both existing in the same world though both have features that cross over a bit. Buy what you will be happy with.

    Remember, everyone has an opinion and PinStack values everyone...even if others do not agree. We are all here for the input and gadget-advice. A mix of opinions are welcome.

  9. #9
    tgeekb's Avatar
    tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Posts
    669
    I enjoy when people are talking about features, favorite apps, etc. It's just the hatred towards certain businesses, especially Apple, that I don't understand. Calling the iPhone a toy is a stretch. It is, from what I have seen, a nice multimedia device. Not for me, but many love it. I prefer the real keyboard otherwise I may be tempted. Sorry if I sounded rude, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just wish we could avoid the name calling. To me, any advances in technology/features is a good thing for all of us as it creates competition and better devices for everyone.

    OK, off my soapbox.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

  10. #10
    keithwhitney's Avatar
    keithwhitney no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_cajun View Post
    simply stated before,
    iphone in all incarnations = playtoy maybe a phone for children
    blackberry = a real phone for people who actually like to use the phone for everyday use and who like control over their own hardware, apple controls the iphone hardware and software so you cannot install 3rd party apps....iphone = still sux
    Have you used an iPhone? Just curious. Personally, I think both BlackBerry and iPhone are great products.

  11. #11
    Jbee's Avatar
    Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I enjoy when people are talking about features, favorite apps, etc. It's just the hatred towards certain businesses, especially Apple, that I don't understand. Calling the iPhone a toy is a stretch. It is, from what I have seen, a nice multimedia device. Not for me, but many love it. I prefer the real keyboard otherwise I may be tempted. Sorry if I sounded rude, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just wish we could avoid the name calling. To me, any advances in technology/features is a good thing for all of us as it creates competition and better devices for everyone.

    OK, off my soapbox.
    Maybe what is a toy to others is a nice device to some. It's where people take it personal, that the trouble starts. I love my 20 month-olds Pixster, but to me it does not do what I need it to do for my daily needs...it's fun, but still a toy to me. -Sorry, that's a very liberal description, but it explains what I think the basics are. What I value are what people from all walks think. Whether it's a crutch to them or an asset. all I care about is honesty. All the reviews combined will weigh my personal decision. P.S.-No harm done.

  12. #12
    vince1's Avatar
    vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Posts
    3,676
    Iphone = Great Marketing but Crap phone
    Blackberry = Great Phone but Crap Marketing

  13. #13
    Jbee's Avatar
    Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    Iphone = Great Marketing but Crap phone
    Blackberry = Great Phone but Crap Marketing

    That's an almost true statement...cudos! I have never thought of it in that light before, it is strangely true. I never knew of BB's until I stumbled on the Pearl by mistake. I was looking for a small device that offered broadband connect for my Axim 51V. My Ax was my powerhouse till I started playing w/the Pearl. I never knew...sorry Stackers! My true confession prior to the Pearl was that BB's ran on a Palm OS...you can throw your stones now if you wish............

  14. #14
    tgeekb's Avatar
    tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbee View Post
    Maybe what is a toy to others is a nice device to some. It's where people take it personal, that the trouble starts. I love my 20 month-olds Pixster, but to me it does not do what I need it to do for my daily needs...it's fun, but still a toy to me. -Sorry, that's a very liberal description, but it explains what I think the basics are. What I value are what people from all walks think. Whether it's a crutch to them or an asset. all I care about is honesty. All the reviews combined will weigh my personal decision. P.S.-No harm done.
    Very true. Honest reviews and people's experiences are determining factors when I'm looking for a device (I ignore the too positive or too negative). A year and a half ago, when I was trying to decide between a WM device, Palm, or Blackberry, I visited all the different forums to gauge opinions. I looked for the pluses and minuses of each and which would meet my specific needs. I'm so glad I took a chance with Blackberry. Now, 3 devices later (because of my addiction, not problems), I am a happy Blackberry camper!
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

  15. #15
    tgeekb's Avatar
    tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbee View Post
    That's an almost true statement...cudos! I have never thought of it in that light before, it is strangely true. I never knew of BB's until I stumbled on the Pearl by mistake. I was looking for a small device that offered broadband connect for my Axim 51V. My Ax was my powerhouse till I started playing w/the Pearl. I never knew...sorry Stackers! My true confession prior to the Pearl was that BB's ran on a Palm OS...you can throw your stones now if you wish............
    Haha! Blackberrys may have well been made on another planet for all I knew. I forced myself, after reading up on them here on Pinstack, to go check out the Pearl. I immediately fell in love and the rest is history. (Yes, there will be a movie coming out in November)
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •