Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello Everyone: Let me start by saying that I absolutely love this site! I have ... General Blackberry forum

HSA
    HSA no está en línea Stack level 1

Treo vs. Blackberry

Advertisement

Hello Everyone:

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love this site! I have been a satisfied Blackberry user for some time now and currently use the 8700c. I have heard so much about the treo of late. At the same time I heard that nobody beats the Blackberry when it comes to email. I have never owned a Treo, but I am curious as to why the Blackberry is the preferred email device. In comparing the two devices, what do you guy/gals think.

Thanks...

HSA

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Quote Originally Posted by HSA
    At the same time I heard that nobody beats the Blackberry when it comes to email. I have never owned a Treo, but I am curious as to why the Blackberry is the preferred email device.
    Well, a few things to consider.

I am not sure how the new TREO's work, but rather than push email to the device, which is what BlackBerry does (As soon as an email is sent to you, it immediately gets pushed to the device, rather than pulled).

As far as Treo's, they USED to (not sure if they still do) actually "pull" the email. A better explination is this: You have to set the Treo to physically log in and check your account for new emails every so often (some devices allow this to be from every 1 minute, 5 minute, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc).

That will drain battery life quite quickly if it is logging in to "pull" every 5 minutes or so. So it's not bad if you don't mind getting your emails at set intervals rather than immediately.

Another thing to consider is the operating system. You will hear loyal BB users bash windows mobile, and loyal windows mobile users bash the RIM OS, so it's really user preference. However, what I will say, is that the RIM OS is very stable. It's amazing sometimes, how you can be doing 10 things at once and yet it doesn't freeze up and crash on you. Many times I will be flipping thru Instant Messages, Text Messages, Emails, The Web Browser, Pin Messaging and the notepad all at the same time, and the device (8700 atleast) performs like a champ.

There is also another thing to consider past that, which hardly ever gets mentioned. When using a device such as a treo, there is really no "screen protection". It seems the #1 physical problem that people have with treos are scratched/shattered screens. Unlike the treo where the screen is actually exposed to the outside world, the BlackBerrys have in essence 2 screens: The actual screen itself and a "screen" that is mounted on the outer housing on the device. Many times you will hear people say that their screen is scratched on here, when it's not actually the screen per say, but rather the "screen" that is part of the outer housing on the device.

Okay, I have to be moving on, but I hope those few points help you a little bit.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    I've never had a treo.. but I personally don't think that I will go anywhere else. I love my BB...

jwhite4304 no está en línea Stack level 2
    A great question would be how many of us switched from Treo to Blackberry and why? I did because the Treo is a poor phone, freezes often, and has pull email. I started with the first Treo models thru the 700P. The Treo does have more software, non business, but the reasons above had me switch to a Blackberry and I am not going Back!

Jimbo

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by HSA
    I have never owned a Treo, but I am curious as to why the Blackberry is the preferred email device.
    For me, the Blackberry has a significantly more reliable OS as well as more reliable hardware. Push email and better batttery life don't hurt either.

CranberyNate no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey Everybody, long time reader - first time poster !
    1st thanks to everyone that contributes their knowledge on this site,
    this is where I have learned to use my BB.
    2nd I had (have) a Treo 650 & think it is a good device, but, the push v. pull e-mail aspect is a big plus for the BB & the data connection with the EVDO is alot faster than the treo, also I agree w/ jwhite4304 - the treo does seem to freeze alot when running multiple apps.
    thanks, Nate

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6
    I have owned the 8125, Treo 650, Nokia E62 Pearl, and 8700. The 8700 is King. The rest crashed on a daily basis except the Pearl. The processor on the E62 is very slow. The others are glitchy when dealing with email pull.

dbytes no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E623CB
    I had a Treo 650 since the first day the GSM Unlocked version was available from Palm (Feb 'o4??).

With ChatterEmail, mail is still pulled, but acts more like push when connected to an Exchange 2003 server using IMAP. From my understanding, once ChatterEmail contacts the server there is a permanent connection created. Once Exchange sees a new message, it informs ChatterEmail of the new message; ChatterEmail will then pull the message. I've had mail pop up in ChatterEmail before Outlook on my desktop PC connected to a 1GB link.

I still miss my Treo for some aspects, but have quickly found favor with my Pearl.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Let's face it, Windows Mobile 5 sucks! I have a MDA, and I've even flashed it to a newer ROM, and I still freezes up under the simplist tasks...

absolon3 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E8CDFD
    For a few years I had been carrying a separate Palm TX pda and a Sony Ericsson phone, and I finally wanted the ease of having them combined in one device. I figured that the Treo 680 would be perfect since I was used to the Palm OS.
    As my first smartphone it was a great find but my main necessity was portability, for I was used to pocketing my phone during my running workouts. I couldn't do this with the Treo because I found it to be too bulky.

I was introduced to the BB Pearl by a coworker and I was a bit leary of it at first because it seemed to be so different from the Palm OS. Eventually I switched to the Pearl and must say that this is the absolute best combination of a phone and pda that I have ever found! I am amazed with the simplicity of the trackball navigation compared to the stylus of the Palm Treo. So far I have only been using the phone and the organizer and have yet to get a data plan.

As a Mac owner I am also truly impressed with how painless it has been to work with the PocketMac software to sync my BB with my MacBook Pro, since I had been used to the out-of-the-box compatibility of the Palm OS.
    TRENT

MagicDev no está en línea Stack level 3
    You should wait for the new Treo 750..

MagicDev no está en línea Stack level 3
    Or maybe get the Dash :-)

ajizi no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23ca86f4
    in China there is no pushmail for bb,people use sms more than email very much.when i show my 7290 to my friends,they think that i was holdind a calculator instead of a phone

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    I switched to a Palm Treo 650 a week ago and i have to say i am more satisfied with it performance. I am saying this because i have had a BB 5810, 6710, 7280, 7290 and an 8700c and there was no real signifigant improvemants from the oldest being the 5810 to the newest 8700 other than a little more ram and a better screen. I decided i wanted something better and i really wanted more than what the pearl even offered. Keep in mind comparing the two is like apple's and oranges because one is a business deice and one is a home user device respectively.

On the good side of the BB is the e-mail push, the track wheel, and pin messaging. On the down side is the lack of copious quantities of free memory for storage, no SD or SDIO support unless you have a pearl but you have to remove the battery to get to it. No camera except for the pearl.

Treo, on the good side great camera with photo and video capabilites, more the 70% of it's ram for free for storage. It has an external card slot support SD/SDIO/MMC. Yhe SDIO is good becauce it gives the capability for more than just memory cards. for example you can put a WiFi , LAN, Modem, IFrA , bar code scanners etc etc. the cards are all available in SD format and all support the Palm. The touch screen is great and is very easy to work with and when you don't have a free 2nd hand the thumb controller is the bomb. The OS has the advantage of twice the amount of research and development time of the the BB OS. The phone are also network independant versus the Blackberry which will not work for network purposes unless the BIS or BES is accessible. EDGE has been available in Palm TREO's for the Last 4 years where as with BB not until the 8100, 8700 and a feww 7100 models which are all recent within the last 2 years or so.

on the down side of the treo, it has no single place to go to set preferences witin the phone. they are all over the place.

In a nutshell i like my palm far better because it fits what i use it for much better. I like the fact that I can get my e-mail anywhere GSM is available and i don't have to rely on a BIS or BES to push it to me. I can still get my e-mail and internet over seas. As far as battery use is concerned, my palm last twice as long as my 8700c did on a charge and i think that is largely because the Treo doesn't spend so much energy trying to maintain a network connection. My treo downloads my mail when i tell it to and it goes on the internet a required by the user, and not 100% of the time like the blackberry. It blows my mind that it took RIM 3 yrs to develop the pearl which has less than 75% of features that an older treo 600 had. Also keep in mind the 600 was on the market almost a full 2 years before the pearl was even available. I think the upcoming 8800 from RIM is going to be a flop because it is just a pearl with a full keyboard and no trackwheel. As far as RIM sales well they are no better than palms, they are actually about the same. The reason why RIMS' stock prices are higher is simply because they refuse to expand and open up more share to the market thusly keeping the share price high. All it would do is take RIM to decide to split and thier price would cut in half. Most of the folks in here have never tried a treo and will moan and groan about how the treo sux and until i got one i was the same way. You have to try it to see what your missing and decide than.
    Looking for new buddies. Add me pin# 3115EE05

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast