Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok. I think I've finally had it with my Treo phone. After years and years ... General Blackberry forum

successm no está en línea Stack level 1

Treo 650 User - I Think It May Be Time To Come over to the Dark Side

Advertisement

Ok. I think I've finally had it with my Treo phone. After years and years of being a loyal user and swearing but the extra features and software my 6th replacement phone died yesterday and I've had it with the continuous problems. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'm ready to come over to the dark side.

So, here's my question. I'm a heavy user of phone and email. I use a lot of third party applications too (PDF reader, Outlook sync, Word, call tracking etc etc. . But I'm not a techie. I need simple. But I also need a full Qwerty keyboard. I'm willing to pay for the best since I live on the phone day/night so if there's a new/better/faster more reliable model coming out soon I can wait.

What model should I get? Should I wait? I'm on T-Mobile and can't switch.

Your help and advice is appreciated. And may the force be with you!

Sincerely, successm
    Last edited by successm; 08-14-2008 at 09:06 PM.

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by successm View Post
    Ok. I think I've finally had it with my Treo phone. After years and years of being a loyal user and swearing but the extra features and software my 6th replacement phone died yesterday and I've had it with the continuous problems. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'm ready to come over to the dark side.

So, here's my question. I'm a heavy user of phone and email. I use a lot of third party applications too (PDF reader, Outlook sync, Word, call tracking etc etc. . But I'm not a techie. I need simple. But I also need a full Qwerty keyboard. I'm willing to pay for the best since I live on the phone day/night so if there's a new/better/faster more reliable model coming out soon I can wait.

What model should I get? Should I wait?

Sincerely, successm

I would recommend the curve. And upgrade to 4.5 (or have someone do it for you) so you can get DOCs To Go and have Word included. You may want to wait on the Bold. I love berries but I dont know what all the hype is over the bold, the curve is the best for what I need it to do.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Insert catchy phrase here..

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I have been selling wireless for two years now and i would consider the palm to be the worst selling product we have...my friend you are leaving the darkside and are finally becoming enlightened...welcome.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

What model should I get? Should I wait? I'm on T-Mobile and can't switch.

Sincerely, successm
    Welcome to PinStack, successm! You've come to the right place for both advice on which BlackBerry device to get and the premier site for support and knowledgeable individuals to help you along the way.

The ultimate device would of course the soon-to-be-release BOLD. If you want something now there are a few things to consider.

Is a camera important to you? If so, I'd recommend a Curve. The Curve from TMO has built-in WiFi and as another poster said, with an OS upgrade comes with some very nice features.

If you don't use a camera, the 8800 series may be a better choice for you.

Anyway, you'll get lots of opinions here, but the best advice I can give you is to go into a store and play with all the different option to see what feels best in your hands and has the features you want.

When you get one, come back here and read through the following thread to help your stay here at PinStack be a most enjoyable adventure!

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/firstvisit.php

Best regards,
    Roger
    Last edited by RogerG; 08-14-2008 at 10:57 PM.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Why not get an 83xx series that can do everything an 8800 can do PLUS has a camera AND video capabilities (with new 4.5 OS)? These cameras, while not essential, DO come in handy every once in a while.

duval_happiness no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2449b097
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Why not get an 83xx series that can do everything an 8800 can do PLUS has a camera AND video capabilities (with new 4.5 OS)? These cameras, while not essential, DO come in handy every once in a while.
    Why yes the cam isn't perfect but is a treat for the 8300 series. Be wise and make the right decision a blackberry is always going to be by your side(a real stacker know this) chose wisely my friend.

Thanks everyone. My head is spinning. A few questions.
    1. Is the Bold just a snazzier looking unit or are there real benefits over the curve and 8xxx series? How long until its on the market? I'd wait if there are real add'l features but if its just sizzle I have no interest.
    2. A camera is essential, although the quality is minimally important.
    3. Fast web is a big plus, I'm on T-mobile now but have no clue about WiFi
    4. If i went with the 83xx series as opposed to an 8800 i gain the camera but am I giving up anything?
    5. I will probably use a lot of third party software, does that effect my decision?
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone. My head is spinning. A few questions.
    1. Is the Bold just a snazzier looking unit or are there real benefits over the curve and 8xxx series? How long until its on the market? I'd wait if there are real add'l features but if its just sizzle I have no interest.
    2. A camera is essential, although the quality is minimally important.
    3. Fast web is a big plus, I'm on T-mobile now but have no clue about WiFi
    4. If i went with the 83xx series as opposed to an 8800 i gain the camera but am I giving up anything?
    5. I will probably use a lot of third party software, does that effect my decision?
    Thanks everyone!
    The Bold offers significant upgrades and features over current BlackBerry devices, not the least of which is 1gb on-board memory. I think the largest capacity at this point is that of the 8330 Curve which has 96mb. HUGE difference there. If you've been reading around the threads at all you have probably seen people who want to know how to free up memory because their 3rd party apps chew up a lot of memory and they are actually losing e-mails, texts, etc, so this is extremely significant.

Bold will run on the 3g network, screen resolution and loads of other upgrades as seen here:

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberry...es/#experience

Ok. I think I'm getting the hang of this.
    Basically it sounds like there is no perfect option - even at a high price.
    1. Bold probably won't be on TMO. Javelin won't be out until end of year and I need something now.
    2. Curve seems to fit my needs, but the low memory will be a challenge.
    Of course, the way things go in life, I'll buy the curve, buy a ton of 3rd party software for it, convert everything i do over from the Treo to the BB then realize after I spend the dollars that I need something better, then a new model will come out that has everything I wanted but none of the 3rd party software will work on the new phone, and I start all over. Yikes!

krikor222 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Ok. I think I'm getting the hang of this.
    Basically it sounds like there is no perfect option - even at a high price.
    1. Bold probably won't be on TMO. Javelin won't be out until end of year and I need something now.
    2. Curve seems to fit my needs, but the low memory will be a challenge.
    Of course, the way things go in life, I'll buy the curve, buy a ton of 3rd party software for it, convert everything i do over from the Treo to the BB then realize after I spend the dollars that I need something better, then a new model will come out that has everything I wanted but none of the 3rd party software will work on the new phone, and I start all over. Yikes!
    If you aren't in a rush, focus on the BOLD, it is easily considered the BEST Blackberry yet... if you can dish out the cash, and don't really care about switching networks then you're on your way. Past that, I too once used the treo, loved the infrared used it a lot when I was into real estate and of course heavily on emails. The blackberry just takes efficiency with mobile emails, and general functionality to the next level.

You wont regret it!
    Shawn K.

Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.56
    Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
    PIN: 3022BBE5

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    The Bold offers significant upgrades and features over current BlackBerry devices, not the least of which is 1gb on-board memory. I think the largest capacity at this point is that of the 8330 Curve which has 96mb. HUGE difference there.
    I believe that the Bold has 128 MB memory. The 1 GB referred to is for media (think of it as a "built-in media storage card"), and you can still add an external micro-SD card for additional storage on top of that.

So the 128 MB of the Bold is comparable to the 96 MB or 64 MB of most of the recent non-Curve models.

But I agree with you, even that is a big difference as far as BB's are concerned.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
    I believe that the Bold has 128 MB memory. The 1 GB referred to is for media (think of it as a "built-in media storage card"), and you can still add an external micro-SD card for additional storage on top of that.

So the 128 MB of the Bold is comparable to the 96 MB or 64 MB of most of the recent non-Curve models.

But I agree with you, even that is a big difference as far as BB's are concerned.
    Yes, you guys are correct. Thanks for the clarification.

element27 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30573FEE
    I also recently made the switch to a Blackberry. I have tried em all over the years, did the Treo for a while with a 600 and then a 650, did the Windows mobile thing for a while with a few different flavours of HTC and a Q for about a week (hated it and returned it...lol). I switched to the Blackberry Curve 8330 from an iPhone about 3 months ago and after a little adjustment I love it! Especially since I upgraded to 4.5 a few days ago! It’s easily the best smart phone around, I love how easy it is to install apps over the air, I love how it hasn’t crashed on me yet, not even once, no other smart phone has ever lasted on me this long without crashing! I wasn’t new to the Blackberry world, I supported them for quite a while at work but there are some differences with a personal one, BIS for example was a new acronym to me

So ya, all that to say that I love my Curve, wait for a Bold if you can, I wish I would have but if you need something now the Curve is a great phone!

My first official post on the site, let the fun begin…lol.

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~All good advice. I switched from Treo a couple years ago. BB is an email machine handling the use much easier than Treo. If you upgrade OS to 4.5 xx. You get documents to go free. You can also view pdf's.

It does seem like the Bold would be ideal, but after reading the posts on this message board it seems pretty certain that Tmobile will not be carrying it and I can't switch. The post from element27 is the reassurance i needed. No crashes? I can't imagine it since i'd say I crash on average once or twice a day every day on the Treo. Sounds like heaven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast