Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I went to Chicago via Amtrak weekend and my curve was my traveling partner ... General Blackberry forum

tiascurve66 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

Traveling with my curve

Advertisement

So I went to Chicago via Amtrak weekend and my curve was my traveling partner . Anyways everyone around me with different kinds of phones notice when we finally got out of Michigan and into Indiana their time changed on their phones. However my curve never changed times when we changed zones.

When I had my pocketpc it changed times whenever I left Michigan is this because the pocketpc was 3g and my curve isn't? I am on At&T I am sure that isn't the issue but I am just curious to know why it didn't change during the trip.

Also Chicago rocks I seen more Pearls and Curves than anything while walking downtown.

krikor222 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Double check Options > Date/Time to see if the Date/Time Source is not set to Blackberry, If you would like automatic time adjustment I believe that option must be set to Network, so that the network may automatically update your time based on the towers your on!
    Shawn K.

Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.56
    Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
    PIN: 3022BBE5

PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME
    Thanks krikor222 I wish I would have asked this before I left for my trip. I kept feeling like i was ahead of everyone else.

PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    With a blackberry, you usually are!!! :P
    Shawn K.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I don't believe the time zone changes automatically on RIM devices, regardless of the source from which you receive the time.

You would actually have to go in and do that manually when you change time zones, unfortunately.

PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    I wish there was a way to confirm that notion RoGro,
    simply because it wouldn't make sense for basic handsets on any network to be able to synchronize the date/time with nearby towers, and Blackberry devices not being able to.
    Shawn K.

Hi Shawn,

I'm hoping that this will be resolved in later OS releases, but as of right now, it is sad, but true. Here is one of many threads discussing the topic:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...time_zone.html

Regards,
    Roger

PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Perfect, thanks a lot Roger!

Very unfortunate though, but Im sure they have their technical reasons lol
    Shawn K.

Yes, as one poster stated, you would think a device with so many other cool features would also be able to do something as basic as adjusting its timezone automatically!

PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    My exact point in my post above, they really should get on this!
    Shawn K.

PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME
    Yes it is sad because in the same breath the people around me were checking out my curve when the time didn't change they kind of though something was wrong with my phone. Oh well I still have a bb and they don't.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Maybe it would have something to do with all the sync capabilities of the device, with work and email and all that, if you happen to walk over the timezone line, then go back and so on, it would sit there and be confused as heck, you would get repeated messages and so on perhaps? especially if you delete on handheld and not both, and so on.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by rashard View Post
    Maybe it would have something to do with all the sync capabilities of the device, with work and email and all that, if you happen to walk over the timezone line, then go back and so on, it would sit there and be confused as heck, you would get repeated messages and so on perhaps? especially if you delete on handheld and not both, and so on.
    Rashard is correct, if BBs automatically changed times, it would have to adjust every appointment on it's calendar. Then syncing the device would cause havoc to Outlook. You would have to imagine many business users have A LOT of appointments. So this is just not a good idea. Especially when they travel so much through so many time zones and such.

PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Makes sense, but programming wise, how hard can it be to change all times accordingly on the device to accommodate for the time change? or if that doesn't make sense for most business, why not have the option to just change the main time display?

Very confusing stuff, but I'm sure someone can figure it out lol
    Shawn K.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Well, you will have to ask RIM for the answer. I'm pretty sure it has to do with BES servers and snycing between them and the devices themselves. I don't think it's as easy as everyone thinks it is, or else this would be an option.

Yes, we have a device that can do about almost anything but it can't do this, but I'm sure they a good reason not to allow this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast