I am going to be going to London for 10 days in the near future. ... General Blackberry forum

adamjay79 no está en línea Stack level 3

Traveling outside of the US

Advertisement

I am going to be going to London for 10 days in the near future. ATT (Cingular) is out of their mind for their international data, requring I sign a contract on the PLAN for a year. My Curve is unlocked so I can use it overseas, however I do not know the first thing of how to do so as far as finding a carrier and ensuring my email comes through. Any help is appreciated.

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

Re: Traveling outside of the US

adamjay, I dunno about e mail. However, I live in Grenada and have been to Europe, all of these countries have lots of easy to use Pay As You Go Plans. I suggest you just go into the first store you see and pick up one. All you have to do is slip the SIM into your Curve and you have a local #. International calling on them isn't the cheapest (actually for me calling the states from Grenada on my Pay As You Go plan is cheaper than for my family to call me from the states on their Vzw plans w/ Int calling) but it is super easy. Its gonna cost ya....no way around it.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

check it out, i know vodafone and t-mobile are big in thise areas, they'll be able to set you up there

I am actually more concerned with my email and data than I am with voice. I want to be able to use my phone for voice if there is an emergency. ATT has a intl data plan for $64.99 p/ month which I do not mind paying for the month that I am there, but they are saying I have to sign a one year contract on the PLAN ITSELF. That is insane. Maybe I will call customer service and get a nice rep that will work with me. ATT's intl call rates are not bad if I have an emergency. If I do not add the plan and take my phone with me and have it turned on, I pay $.02 per kb and that will add up to a lot with all of the emails I get.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Good luck. If you want BB Int'l Data you'll need to pay to it and agree to the term or pay the ETF when you remove it. You're very unlikely to find a carrier that offers BB data on prepaid. I'd say weigh the roaming data charges versus the increased service fee/ETF and pick the lesser evil.

Thanks takeshi - a fellow stacker says they work for ATT and would be able to provision it on my account when I go and remove it without the ETF. However, I am hesitant to do that since I do not know the person. I have a call into a Sr. Mgr at ATT that i know.