So, my Blackberry 8700g finally kicked it ... the jog wheel got stuck in the ... General Blackberry forum

gfrazee no está en línea Stack level 1

Transferring data to a new Blackberry

Advertisement

So, my Blackberry 8700g finally kicked it ... the jog wheel got stuck in the down position so I can't turn it back on without it freaking out. Thankfully I had insurance and I'll be getting a new 8800 in a few days for free. I'm curious as to if there's any hiccups in transferring everything over? I know the 8700g and 8800 OS is slightly different so I'm not entirely sure as to the proper means of backing up my calendar, notes, address book, etc. in order to import it into the 8800.

Any pointers?

RB3tech® no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21E389A6

Why I coundn't transfer file through bluetooth in my desktop pc?

I badly need your help.
    My BB already found the pair device but it seems,
    it couldn't transfer files from PC - BB, both versa.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Transferring data to a new Blackberry

well there are two options. one is the transfer option in dm 4.3 or you can back everything up to outlook and go from there. that will of course only transfer contacts and calender info, but usually that's the most important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gfrazee View Post
    So, my Blackberry 8700g finally kicked it ... the jog wheel got stuck in the down position so I can't turn it back on without it freaking out. Thankfully I had insurance and I'll be getting a new 8800 in a few days for free. I'm curious as to if there's any hiccups in transferring everything over? I know the 8700g and 8800 OS is slightly different so I'm not entirely sure as to the proper means of backing up my calendar, notes, address book, etc. in order to import it into the 8800.

Any pointers?
    Desktop Manager has a Device Switching wizard that works very well --

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Desktop Manager has a Device Switching wizard that works very well --
    Can you foresee any problems with the fact that the Desktop software as well as the OS for the 8800 are different than that of the 8700g?

Quote Originally Posted by gfrazee View Post
    Can you foresee any problems with the fact that the Desktop software as well as the OS for the 8800 are different than that of the 8700g?
    Not at all. Desktop software is backwards and forwards compatible, and the switch device wizard is designed to move data from different OSs. Look at the list of BBs I've used in my sig -- I've used the switch device wizard to move my information around from device to device, with different operating systems, different size screens, everything, and have never had a problem. I've moved from older models to newer, and then back to older, too. The only difficulty I've had is moving data from a third party application (which is stored in "RMS Databases") from a newer model to an older model (specifically from the 8700g to a 6230), but that was my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Not at all. Desktop software is backwards and forwards compatible, and the switch device wizard is designed to move data from different OSs. Look at the list of BBs I've used in my sig -- I've used the switch device wizard to move my information around from device to device, with different operating systems, different size screens, everything, and have never had a problem. I've moved from older models to newer, and then back to older, too. The only difficulty I've had is moving data from a third party application (which is stored in "RMS Databases") from a newer model to an older model (specifically from the 8700g to a 6230), but that was my fault.
    Thankfully I don't have much stored in 3rd-party apps, I just need to update my info with the makers in order to run them on my new phone.

Would you recommend using the Desktop software currently installed (for the 8700g) to do the switch or to install the new Desktop software (for the 8800) and run it from there?