So, we all have a common dilema. That is, when you upgrade your BB (and ... General Blackberry forum

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Transfer PIN's...What do you think?

Advertisement

So, we all have a common dilema. That is, when you upgrade your BB (and we all know how often that is for us , you have to get a new PIN, and its a little bit of a hastle to get that out to everyone.

What if RIM didnt hardcode PIN's onto units, but, instead had a pool of free PIN numbers, and when you activate your unit, you got a random one, just like getting a phone number?

This way, if you got a new unit, your PIN just transfers to the new unit just like a phone number would to a new phone. RIM could authenticate this via a central server.

If you are on a BES, your BES would get a pin upon activation. If your on a BIS, likewise, the BIS would get and give a pin upon activation.

What do you guys think?? Good discussion I thought

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Transfer PIN's...What do you think?

Excellent idea, seeing I'm on my way to my 3rd BB the 8700 next month that would be great if RIM could work on this for the future.

PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

I thought so. I dont see why an authentication server, could see that you have a PIN already, and not take a new one from a pool, and just transfer it, upon activation with the network/BES/BIS.

It sounds very reasonable to me, but, of course this goes against RIM's idea of a PIN. I would think, that now that the PIN is used MUCH more (BB Messenger for ex), they have to be thinking of this.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~That is a great idea! How would one go about poseing this to RIM?

taeisme no está en línea Stack level 4

Excellent idea.. Good way to take the hassel out of upgrading or changing BB's.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Anything would be better than my hubby sending me messages about who sent me a PIN... lol
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

But...isn't the idea of the PIN to be tied to a specific piece of hardware for life? No way to spoof it, no way to change it. If the unit is stolen or compromised, the PIN will always stay the same, and the device cannot be activated on an enterprise network or perhaps any network at all without someone being able to track that PIN. I think it's a great security device in disguise.

Now, devil's advocate part said, I would like the idea of your own PIN for life. A person Blackberry ID just for you for the life of your BB upgrades. Like an email or a phone number, transferable would be nice.

Excellent topic for discussion, by the way.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~That is a great argument by Benmarvin. That's a point I had not thought about.

PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Good point ben, but just like a phone number, after the device gets the pin, it is then set. So even if the device is stolen, when someone else decides to activate that device on a BES/BIS, it will go to the authentication server, recognize the PIN already there, see that that PIN has been stolen from say a stolen database, and then not activate. Just like a BES has a kill command to nuke a BB remotely, I dont see why this wouldnt work just as well. The BB would then nuke, be useless, and the user would have to either get rid of it or hand it back.

What do you think? And yes, I thought this would be a great discussion!