I crack doing everything, and had been eating cookies and milk while on PinStack and ... General Blackberry forum

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7

Trackball Problems? Check This Out!

Advertisement

I crack doing everything, and had been eating cookies and milk while on PinStack and got cookie crums into my trackball, causing it to fail to scroll down.
    Well, since I had to get to work, alcohol and a QTip were out. When I got to work I pulled the ring and rolled the thing around every which way blowing on it a few times. I'd press down harder in the direction it was stuck.
    Put it back in, and still no luck. Pulled it back out again, rolling the ball all around, then this time separating each roller from the housing with my fingernail a few times.
    This time I tried something new. When truckers can't get their trailer lights to light up, they spray Windex in the light cord recepticle to enhance contact and often times it works. This time I sprayed the entire trackball assembly with Windex, making sure that it got down into the assembly so it would come in contact with any debris on the rollers. Then I depressed the trackball so that any fluid could come out of the bottom, blew on the thing a few times, and set it aside to dry for half an hour.
    Reinstalled the assembly, and it works just like new.
    Go figure.

shaunslastname no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thats pretty nuts! But don't you think you just moistened the crumbs which made it easier for the trackball to slide against them? Im just curious as to what may happen when they dry out and possibly end up back under the trackball again. I have had lint cause the same problem so I used canned air but it seems to happen at least once a month. Have you attempted taking the trackball assembly out? I have seen videos and stacker REDDOG posted a guide on how to do it step by step with pictures. You might want to try that so that those crumbs dont interfere in the future.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ha! Yeh, John, the assembly was taken out during above procedures. Made sure all contacts, especially one on bottom, were dry prior to reassembly. Windex must've moistened crumb and it was expelled as I rolled ball around with Windex on it!
    Thing's been working like new out of the box for over 24 hours

Oops, meant Shaun

Thneeds no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yeah the windex flushed out the crumbs. The trackball assemblies respond well to being flushed and washed.....just have to do like you did and be sure they are totally dry before you put them back. I've soaked mine in various solutions mostly in an attempt to turn the trackball white again....that never works ...but the trackballs always work like new once put back in...even if they don't look new
    "I laughed at the Lorax, "You poor stupid guy! You never can tell what some people will buy.""

Well, there's something I hadn't heard. Soaking the assembly while attempting to whiten the trackball

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Heh...I think the general concensus is that by the time it's black, it's time to upgrade

Hopefully no-one tries the windex thing without removing the assembly first (as Berryadict pointed out, it's a really good conductor) - much like water

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~windex is great its funny its many uses and this tread showed me one more thanks