I am a guy with a technique and would like to share that technique. It ... General Blackberry forum

chuckymafia no está en línea Stack level 2

Trackball in Depth cleaning Suggestion

Advertisement

I am a guy with a technique and would like to share that technique. It may not be the best or only way to clean a trackball. It may not even be someone favorite way to clean it. I will however state that it works for me and is a safer method then those that I have seen. Disclaimer for me as some people may post that it’s not the best or so on.

Well let us begin to what some people say is the way they remove the trackball. Some say a thin screw driver, a needle or even a knife. I hate sharp edges and am a bit of a "Do not make a phone look worse by using the wrong tool and not being careful" That is my saying as I have dissembled gaming consoles, cellular phones, Cameras, and mostly anything electronic. I like to take things apart for fun; yes I know I need a life.
    Anyways back to the Blackberry. I want to take it apart and not let anyone know I did that. I use my tool of preference, its 2 tools actually. 1. My Sim card 2. An unused Credit card. I would say that depending on what you have to use that. Sim card if you are on the go. Credit card if you have one that is thinner that a Sim card. Then we get to the point of cleaning a trackball. It makes it move like new again. Simple enough for me to say instead of typing a story. jaja.

Well now that we have the tools we begin to take the trackball off. I post here pictures of my 8820; the same applies to the Pearl and Curve respectively. Same trackball design however different placement of the clips that hold on the silver exterior. Well I found that the easiest way is to come from above. Place your sim card or credit card above the silver area and press down in an edged way to remove the clips from holding on. Easy enough and pictures provided.
    Secondly we remove the trackball and its assembly.

The trackball assembly comes off by just turning the phone upside down and we can begin to dissemble the trackball. This is a very crucial part and the Most care should be taken when removing this part. I suggest doing this in a very highly lighted and visible area to prevent loss of parts. These parts are tiny and very sensible and easy to get lost. The trackball comes off by pushing the pins outwards on the sides one by one.

I use an exacto blade since it fits in perfectly and removes the clips easily; once that is done then we need to remove the side rails. These are magnetized and can stick to your blade or tool you are using. I put them on a table and begin removal. As you can see with my bare eye I cannot see just how detailed the link is in there. Taking close ups shows us how dirty it was.

Well now take these parts off one by one and place them in a little bowl or cup. Removing them all we can go clean them. I think we can say that some people prefer soap or different cleaners. I made up my own cleaner by mixing Tough Stuff for car upholstery and laundry detergent (powder type). It works well for me and I placed all my parts on a cup and put a little bit of water and mixed. Just like a bartender as I cannot reach inside with micro fingers. jaja.

Well once I did that I rinsed them off with water ALWAYS being careful not to let the parts go down the drain by placing the stopper on and using the cup simultaneously to place the parts in once they were clean. I then finished that part and went on to the drying process. I use a napkin and shape the napkin with the parts inside. Then wait a couple of minutes for it to dry out. The middle section was left out and I used a cotton swab to clean the inside. As the pictures prove, it was dirty. Well now we re-assemble carefully and re insert the clips. You should be aware of how you took it apart and remember how it was done; otherwise the pictures show you how it is done. Then place the clips on the bottom plastic and place it back inside by placing the edges with the plastics that stick out to the sides. The silver piece goes on by the three clips on the bottom, left side and right side. Place it all back inside and you now have a cleaner trackball and better movement and response from your trackball.
    I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial and are careful with this as some people place alcohol or some chemical on the ball and move it around with a piece of napkin or a swab. This is a good method for some however remember that that is a liquid and it may cause corrosion if let dry out or may get to your precious phone. I am not saying it’s not ok, just not my preferred method. Well I hope this helps you guys out there who are having tackball response problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chuckymafia; 10-06-2008 at 12:40 AM.

dubie76 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    My 8330 is in my pants pocket, shirt pocket, etc constantly all day and every day. Not once have I had to take apart my trackball to clean it. Further I have never had any issues with performance. What do you all do with your phones that would require such an extensive cleaning??????
    Sprint Tour 9630
    OS 5.0.0.230 (Leaked)

Well I use them a lot and as you can see even the holster keeps it dirty. I just like my phone to sparkle and look good. I also like to give it maintenance. Thats just me, some people have not had issues with the trackball but some like to clean it. So I posted how to clean it, like the disclaimer says its me and some others who may have the need to clean it, Saw a post and no tutorial that covers it with a picture guide. So I decided to help. Help out other people who need to clean their trackball........

mikedoan no está en línea Stack level 3
    well... I only wish I'd seen this a week ago...

I just did this all on the weekend (by braile)... thanks for the inf though. Good to see I did it right.

Sorry but I just joined about a couple of days ago. I wish I had known this was needed and I would have made a PDF.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    We have another great tutorial with pictures here:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=38395
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    you guys are disgusting, my pearl never looked like that and it is a year old
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

Akim281 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216E72B9
    thanks for this, i was just gonna buy a new trackball, but i'll give this a try first. . .

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Hey VR my experience with mobile devices, being the VZW rep that I am, I have found that smokers have the nastiest devices. And when it comes to the new BB's with their trackball, it's even worse. They don't realize that the nicotine and tar from actually holding a burning stick transfers to the fingers...
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Well it is odd that you guys mention that. I do however use my phone non-stop. I don't store it in my pocket or smoke. I hardly even get it close enough to anything that will get it dirty. It stays most of the time in the holster. I do however use it a lot and change tasks like crazy sometimes and I do not know if this is why it gets dirty but honestly it got dirty without me noticing. I have had a pearl in the past and due to the fact that it was in my pocket meant that it was bound to get lint.

I also have seen the post about the tutorial and well they use a screw driver and I'm scared of sharp objects. Well I hope you guys stop posting about how cleaner you are than the rest as of course no one in here knows how clean I am. I take it very serious when it comes to helping others by showing them how to clean things. I didn't even notice my trackball was dirty. I would have to say.

Those who keep posting your quotes of others being so dirty, put a magnifying glass or get a super macro camera and take a picture. You can claim to be so clean but you will see that you may have the parts just as dirty as mine are shown.

NiceNati817 no está en línea Stack level 1
    That's pretty impressive chucky.