Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I owned a bb for awhile in the past, but felt it was way over ... General Blackberry forum

Reesa23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    325FA8A8

Time to leave my Palm behind?

Advertisement

I owned a bb for awhile in the past, but felt it was way over my head so I sold it on ebay for the price I paid for it. I got a great kyocera phone and a few weeks ago (right before Christmas) dropped it in water and it completely died, so since my contract with US Cellular was over and I missed my PIN friends I only saw on yahoo messenger now I decided to go back to blackberry because they had the 7130e on sale for $40. (Some US Cellulars still have this model left for $10) But this time I'm on a mission to learn this phone and utilize it. I was showing it off to a coworker that asked me about it and was showing them jivetalk, berry411, and Google Maps. Then the coworker asked me wasn't I the palm pilot junky and why did I even still need that when now palm pilots are outdated. And I then questioned myself. Why do I still need both? My palm has a camera that my bb doesn't, but I don't really use the camera. Never really did. But I do have my life story stored in there in memos and through out the date book. I have no idea how to transfer it all or even if it's possible for a newbie like me. Do I just keep carrying them both or join 2008 and somehow ditch the palm?
    Last edited by Reesa23; 01-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    Carrier: US Cellular
    NEW PIN # 312D19A4

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Time to leave my Palm behind?

ditch the palm
    welcome to the world of BB
    You're in the right place to learn everything you need to know about the BB.
    Check out the forums and read up on what you need. What you can't figure out ....ask away!
    That's what we are here for.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

PIN/ID
    325FA8A8

As hard as it would be I'd be willing to ditch the palm. Anyone done this or know the best way to transfer over all my palm lists (data, etc.)?
    NEW PIN # 312D19A4

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

I guess I'd start off deciding if and how I plan to sync my BB in the future. If you want to sync the BB with Outlook, then the easiest way may be to use Palm's Hotsync to sync your data to Outlook. And then sync to the BB.

If you plan to sync the BB to Yahoo PIM, then you can use Yahoo's importer to import all your Palm data into Yahoo. Then proceed to sync with the BB.

PIN/ID
    325FA8A8

I'm not sure whats best to do and whats closest to the Palm platform. Anyone been in this situation and know what might be the best to do? Please PIN me if you want to help this dummy!
    Last edited by Reesa23; 01-17-2008 at 11:11 PM.
    NEW PIN # 312D19A4

Yahoo is probably closest in being a basic organizer - Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notepad. But your data is up on the internet; some people don't like this and would prefer the data to stay local. Outlook has more features, but then you'll have to buy it if you don't already have it, and it's not cheap. Same thing with the other software that the BB syncs with - Lotus Notes, etc. They're all relatively pricey software that offer a lot of features.

I wish RIM had included Palm Desktop sync capability. You can buy sync software that will sync the BB to Palm Desktop, but I'm not sure how well it works, and it's expensive.

total1030 no está en línea Stack level 1

Again it depends on how you sync'd your palm before. I was a palm user for years and just recently switched over to BB. I sync'd my palm with outlook for everything.
    Once gettin my BB it was as easy as syncing the palm for the last time and then syncing the BB for the first. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Eldeano no está en línea Stack level 3

May the Palm R.I.P.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

I was the same, had my palm sync with outlook so when I moved to the peral it was easy to sync and still have all my palm data, only thing I miss about the palm is the big screen and docs to go which should be out soon.
    Berries are the future, now

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

Oh its past time my friend. Hurry! Before the world of BB's leave you behind.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

If you open up desktop manager there is a option to import from palm desktop. Look in switch device and it can import from your palm. I'd say this would be the best way to import the info to your palm.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Good point. I forgot that even though the Desktop Manager cannot sync with Palm Desktop, it can import.

greenandgold52 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you could also try the switch device wizard in dm. I belive it will pull info from your palm to your bb

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Farewell to palms.

[it's better with women :-) lol

Why didn't RIM think of this? "Better than your palm!"

The mind boggles.

M1CHA3L no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm also a palm user trying to switch over and I'm trying to figure out how to replace Palm Desktop. Specifically where do you store/edit your memos on the PC? I'm uncomfortable putting them on Yahoo. I don't see a way to have them in outlook (or is there someway there)...
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast