Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Bottomline: How do I get rid of the little red padlock icon next to firewall ... General Blackberry forum

  1. #1
    jzarowitz's Avatar
    jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Posts
    724

    This needs the best tech out there.

    Advertisement



    Bottomline: How do I get rid of the little red padlock icon next to firewall in security settings? Read-on before you say, "thats easy!"

    May seem like an easy question to answer, but I've had a hell of a time working on this. It all started when I tried that awful Unite software. Unite installed an IT Policy that locked my firewall settings to "enabled". Unfortunately, before I realized that it had installed an IT Policy, I ran a weekly backup of my databases, etc., and deleted my previous backup file.

    I began to accept that I was stuck with the little red padlock icon forever (which also limited my connectivity to many data services even though I am a tmo bis customer). Then my 8320 needed a warranty exchange, so a new one arrived... However, before I could figure out how to remove the database from the backup file for the IT Policy, I re-loaded my contents onto the replacement berry. So, I took a perfectly clean device, and maimed it with the IT Policy as well.

    When OS 4.5 was launched for 8320, I ran the upgrade and tried to use jl-cmdr to restore the 8320 to factory settings, but that darn red padlock icon wont go away. It wasnt really a problem anymore because I seemed to have full data functionality even with the red icon in OS 4.5. That is until today.

    Today, I tried to install a medical software called Pepid (http://www.pepid.com). Upon trying to connect to Pepid's network for OTA software programming, I received a BB generated error stating, "The application PepidBlackBerry has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy." This is another in a long list of connectivity problems I have encountered since installing BB Unite so many weeks, reloads, etc., ago! :-(

    What can I do to remove that darn icon? If I wipe the 8320 using jl_cmdr, the icon and firewall settings remain... If I reload the OS, there is no difference. My 8320 currently only has one IT policy showing, and its for Windows Live... so, then why is there still a restriction resulting in my inability to remove the firewall restrictions?

    I was thinking that if I removed the database associated with the firewall settings from the backup file, I may be able to solve this issue, but I dont want to mess around with it until I have some feedback from you fine folks... any takers?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111

  3. #3
    jzarowitz's Avatar
    jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post

    Yes... there is no Unite IT Policy remaining... just the red padlock icon.

  4. #4
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Another that might be of assistance:

    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=84

  5. #5
    jzarowitz's Avatar
    jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Another that might be of assistance:

    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=84

    Tried that already too... got rid of the IT policy as promised, but the red padlock icon and inability to change firewall settings remains.

  6. #6
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    What are your APN settings?

  7. #7
    jzarowitz's Avatar
    jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    What are your APN settings?
    wap.voicestream.com
    no username
    no pw

  8. #8
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111

  9. #9
    jzarowitz's Avatar
    jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post

    Havent actually tried in that sequence, but I did the upgrade/downgrade and used jl_cmder to resettofactory... that resolved most of my data issues (as it got rid of the Unite IT policy, but not the red padlock), but today, I came across that strange message posted in my first post about firewall issues.

  10. #10
    chenoda's Avatar
    chenoda no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    2431E077
    Posts
    48
    I'm definitely not a tech pro, heck I barely understood much of what you were saying in your original post so I am definitely out of my depth here, but it's best to try all things, right? No matter how simple.

    I don't know if you've tried this yet, but I know when I want to remove an icon from my BB that remains after I uninstall the software, I normally go into Options>Advanced Options>Service Book, and find what I want removed and delete it.

    Maybe that'll help get rid of the red padlock icon???

    Oh well, I hope you find a way to solve your problem.

  11. #11
    jzarowitz's Avatar
    jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by chenoda View Post
    I'm definitely not a tech pro, heck I barely understood much of what you were saying in your original post so I am definitely out of my depth here, but it's best to try all things, right? No matter how simple.

    I don't know if you've tried this yet, but I know when I want to remove an icon from my BB that remains after I uninstall the software, I normally go into Options>Advanced Options>Service Book, and find what I want removed and delete it.

    Maybe that'll help get rid of the red padlock icon???

    Oh well, I hope you find a way to solve your problem.
    Thanks for the thought. There actually isnt a single line item service book for this issue. The BB Unite program has been gone since 10 minutes after it was installed months ago, and the only remnants were the IT policy and red padlock icon. Now, the only remnant is the red padlock icon... :-(

  12. #12
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Well you might just need to run through the process in that last link I posted, unless anyone else is around to offer other suggestions. Might be tomorrow before somebody else responds, but hopefully we'll get this resolved for you!

    Roger

  13. #13
    jzarowitz's Avatar
    jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Well you might just need to run through the process in that last link I posted, unless anyone else is around to offer other suggestions. Might be tomorrow before somebody else responds, but hopefully we'll get this resolved for you!

    Roger

    Ok. I may have time to try tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the thoughts tonight, and I shall wait to see what comes from this tomorrow! :-) Thanks Roger. One thing to remember is that my backup file has this firewall setting in it, and I cannot afford the time it would take to manually enter in all my settings, addresses, calendar, etc., again... so how do I extract that setting without interrupting the rest of the backup file?

  14. #14
    reddog187's Avatar
    reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Posts
    8,907
    I would try to delete the database for the firewall via the DM and the Backup/Restore Advanced option.

  15. #15
    XLiMBS's Avatar
    XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    Posts
    767
    Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    Ok. I may have time to try tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the thoughts tonight, and I shall wait to see what comes from this tomorrow! :-) Thanks Roger. One thing to remember is that my backup file has this firewall setting in it, and I cannot afford the time it would take to manually enter in all my settings, addresses, calendar, etc., again... so how do I extract that setting without interrupting the rest of the backup file?
    Have you tried using jlcmdr to resettofactory and then doing an advanced restore to your BB, if you don't restore your firewall settings but restore everything else it should work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •