I've had this thought for a long time and want to see what everyone thinks. ... General Blackberry forum

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

thinking about BB model numbers

Advertisement

I've had this thought for a long time and want to see what everyone thinks.

Do you think RIM kind of pushed them selves in a corner with their numbering scheme? The first BB's were 800 and 900 series numbers. Then they seemed to jump into the 5000 series I believe. We are getting closer to the 10000 mark with model numbers. I think at that point the numbers are getting too long. At this rate we'll soon have the 10200 model along with the 10220 and 10230 series BB's, and that sounds kind of silly to me. What happened to the 1000, 2000 and 4000's? Also could they make more then 3 models per series? Take for instance, the 8700's...we got the 8700, the 8703e and the 8707. Why not have made an 8710 or 8735 or even an 8780? See my point, they leave so many model numbers out of their numbering scheme.

They could make a lot more BB's within each series it they wanted to. Maybe that's why they are getting named the Curve, Bold, Pearl...

Anyway, just my thoughts, anyone want to chime in?

lobolink no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2431e2ec
    That is a possibility but also maybe they didn't have a much response in the past. For example, nowadays more and more regula joes are getting the use of their blackberrys and theyre selling more. back in the days you couldnt even get a blackbery if your ompany didnt have bes available to you. so that is why they are looking for more appealing names to the public rather than just a number.

P.s why did the 8800 get a cool name like the curve or bold or pearl you know?
    Last edited by lobolink; 09-19-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: need to add PS
    LoboLink Networks
    Theme Enthusiast
    Device: 8800
    Pin: 2431E2EC
    Email: lobolink@tmo.blackberry.net

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post

They could make a lot more BB's within each series it they wanted to. Maybe that's why they are getting named the Curve, Bold, Pearl...
    there was a study done by a university about cell phones and the models types (numbers compared to names), the study showed that the cell phones with a name are not only easier to remember but they are also more popular then cell phones with a numerical name.

so my guess is RIM is just going to begin giving the newer devices names and then they may have numbers within the name, such as the blackberry Curve they have the 8310,8320,8330....

i believe that is what will happen but you never know
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

PIN/ID
    312C4157
    I think the naming of a device is what they are going to continue doing. They were almost on track with the 8000 series BB's. 8100, 8200, 8300 are now being used, but then a jump to 9000. But I believe you all are correct.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    I think leaving the model numbers are is kinda silly. I never gave it much thought until I read what Cook said.
    I wonder how they come up with the number scheme.
    I would rather seen the number stay small so they can make more devices. But then again, What is there left to do after the touch screen? ..
    Someone needs to get hoppin.
    Besides the fact it seems like RIM is putting out more models then even Motorola anymore. and they are doing It with a quickness and a fire in thier eye.

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    I think the naming of a device is what they are going to continue doing. They were almost on track with the 8000 series BB's. 8100, 8200, 8300 are now being used, but then a jump to 9000. But I believe you all are correct.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Sounds right but didnt they just goof with making the thunder the 9500? ..
    If I'm right anyways?
    The smart thing they did was making the "Kickstart" The New Pearl v2 8220 .

PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by TorturedNacho View Post
    I wonder how they come up with the number scheme.
    There used to be a patern to it, like the 7100...something like 7 for color, 1 for suretype, and the rest represented other features. Or 7520, 7 for color, 5 for qwerty keyboard, and the other models would follow, Something like that. Maybe someone can dig that up.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Choosing product names or numbers for identification is always a challenging task for the manufacturers. There are so many things to take into consideration. Like has this name been used before? And on what?

An example of how crucial this is, is when the "then Second Largest Selling Japanese auto maker" decided out of the clear blue to change their name, it nearly put them out of business in the United States.

The change was so devastating and alienated the largest share of their customers, that they barely recovered. The original name of that automaker was Datsun, and was selling cars like crazy in the U.S. Once they changed their name to Nissan, business collapsed, and to date, they have not fully recovered. In fact it was one of the best things to ever happen to Toyota. As they were like brother and sister in the US, in terms of sales while it was still called Datsun. Within just 90 days after the name change to Nissan their sales had collapsed to a fraction of previous monthly results.

That said, I agree that current trends suggest that names sell better than number designations. Thus I believe that RIM is on the right path. Keep naming the devices, with numbers used as secondary methods of identification in regards to certain features unique to a particular carrier.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    There used to be a patern to it, like the 7100...something like 7 for color, 1 for suretype, and the rest represented other features. Or 7520, 7 for color, 5 for qwerty keyboard, and the other models would follow, Something like that. Maybe someone can dig that up.
    Well if that doesnt make sence i dont know what does! ..haha

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    You know, the numbering system is a little strange when you think about it.

Typically model numbers go in succession (7100>7290>8100>etc>), but RIM doesn't usually release devices in that order. We went from the 7290 to the 7100 to the 8700 to 8100 to 8800 then 8300?????

If a higher number denotes a newer model, then why does RIM flip flop with the numbers?

Even if the numbering system used to be code like DCookSta says, wouldn't that have an numerical order to it as well instead of back and forth?

PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Found it, actually posted by Hayden himself. The info is a bit old, so new models probably don't apply.

The four digits of a RIM BlackBerry device defines color, screen and frequency:
    • The First value (X) defines the display capabilities.
      • "6" defines monochrome screen.
      • "7" defines color screen.
      • "8" defines color screen.
    • The Second value (Y) defines the form factor respectively.
      • "1" defines large screen (240 x 260).
      • "2" defines small screen (240 x 160).
      • "7" defines larger screen (240 x 240).
    • The Third and Fourth value (Z & 0) defines the frequency the device will operate on.
      • "10" defines Dual-band (900/1900 MHz).
      • "20" defines Dual-band (900/1800 MHz).
      • "30" defines Tri-band (900/1800/1900 MHz).
      • "80" defines Tri-band (850/1800/1900 MHz).
      • "90" defines Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) and Bluetooth.
      • "00" defines Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) and Bluetooth (ex. 7100g).
    Example: 7280 would refer to a device that has a color display with a smaller form factor that will operate on 850/1800/1900 MHz networks.
    7 = Color display
    2 = Smaller form
    8 = 850/1800/1900 MHz
    0 = "zero"
    NOTE: NOTE: The network band relates to roaming functionality. However, actual performance of the roaming network depends on the specific carrier.

General overview of frequencies: 900 MHz and 1800 MHz frequencies run mainly in Europe and Asia-Pac. However, the exact frequency depends on the carriers themselves. The 1900 MHz frequencies run in North America. The 850 MHz is also sometimes used in North America and Latin America.

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfo...ead.php?t=5042

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Maybe the pushed to 9000 on purpose. They could easily squeeze 4-5 phones into this series. Then who knows what they will do. 10000 series phones if that scheme continues could be the likes of phones that are just plain beyond our comprehension at this point!