OK all. I am new to blackberrys and I love my Pearl 8100 after just ... General Blackberry forum

Denigris no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile Things I recently learned about my pearl

Advertisement

OK all. I am new to blackberrys and I love my Pearl 8100 after just a couple of months. I hardly use my desktop computer anymore. Here are a few useful things I learned which might be helpful to the newcomer, and obvious to the experienced. If I get any of this slightly muddled (I don't think I will) I look forward to further education.

Q: What's a PIN, how do I find out what it is, and why should I care?

A: Your Pin uniquely identifies your blackberry handheld to the blackberry network. No two are the same. You can find out what yours is by going to tools (probably a wrench symbol) -> Status. It's 8 characters in length that can also be found under the battery. Why does it matter? Well, lots of reasons, but you will probably be most interested in PIN messaging.

Q: OK, what is PIN messaging?

A: Pin Messaging is text messaging that is peer-to-peer, from one blackberry to another through the blackberry network. It is available only for messaging between blackberries. It's easy and free. With it, you won't have to pay for a text messaging plan through your carrier if you don't want to. Unless you need to send a message to a non blackberry device. RIM calls that kind of messaging SMS text messages, and your carrier handles that traffic (and usually charges for it).

Q: How safe is the information on my Blackberry? I have lots of confidential stuff there, and I don't want anyone seeing it. Can I protect it?

A: We all lose things. Lord knows I do. Lucky for us, (Disclaimer: My Pearl does this) Blackberrys have a feature called "content protection". This is not just a password like every phone has, it's encryption. If you enable content protection, your Blackberry will encrypt the information each time you lock it, and decrypt it when you unlock it. Unlocking is done by entering a password of your choosing, and you can set it to lock itself at a predetermined time-out if it isn't used. You can also decide if you want your Media card encrypted as well. The device stays encrypted and locked tight no matter what, battery out, whatever. The media card will stay encrypted and therefore unreadable outside the device even if removed. So don't lose your password, and make backups of your blackberry content using the PC tools!

Q: My blackberry doesn't have GPS. Without it, I can't use maps, right?

A: Wrong. I have two words for you to describe the worlds best Blackberry application: Google Maps. Let me say that again. Google Maps. If you don't have it, get it. It's free. It gives you detailed map information, traffic conditions, zooms from orbit to freeway level, visual driving directions with text , search and find on the map, and you can choose a satellite view of any area you want. I found it particularly fun to locate my friends house and zoom in on his truck in the driveway. Best of all, It will use a GPS if you have it, and if you don't, it estimates your location by your position between cells. Google has several very good, free apps. I like the RSS reader, and the calendar synch.

Well, Thats it for now, enjoy!

Buddyc2 no está en línea Stack level 1

Very interesting

I just read your post and enjoyed it. It sounds like you are really enjoying your Blackberry. I do not have one but am reading everything I can about them and considering purchasing one. I've had Verizon Wireless for many years and am well satisfied with their service. They do not have the Curve but they have the Pearl and I think I'd like the Curve better because of the qwerty keyboard.

I've considered switching to AT&T in order to get the Curve. I notice that AT&T is your wireless provider. Would you mind commenting about how you like them and their voice quality compared to other wireless services. Also any comments you'd like to make abut me choosing a BB would be greatly appreciated. If you'd rather not comment on the forum please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you could give me.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I have a Pearl on AT&T and am very happy with their service. In my area, Verizon just doesn't have as good of coverage, but are improving.

Also, I've received good customer service, but I am on a business account. Not sure if this matters or not.

Regardless, my BB has been the best phone I've used. Go for it!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thank you for replying, Mjwood0. I'm curious as to how you like the keyboard on your pearl or do you prefer a qwerty keyboard?

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc2 View Post
    Thank you for replying, Mjwood0. I'm curious as to how you like the keyboard on your pearl or do you prefer a qwerty keyboard?
    Having never used the full QWERTY keyboard enabled devices, I guess I really can't comment.

However, I can give my reasoning for going with the Pearl.

1. I prefer to have the device on my belt carried horizontally. I like it to be flush with my belt and the Curve was just too wide for this to really work well.
    2. I don't text message. In over a year of having the device, I've probably sent about 10.
    3. I do email, but usually somewhat short replies. If I have anything important to say, or need to include lots of text, I'll usually do so on my laptop or my home computer.
    Overall, I think that for heavy text / e-mail / typing usage, the qwerty would be better. In fact, I've often debated updating to the newest curve in six months or so when I'm due for an upgrade. But in all fairness, I type close to 180 WPM on a keyboard. Any device, QWERTY or not, just seems really slow to me. I find I get frustrated having to slow down my thought process / sentence structure due to input limitations.

The pearl is a great device for someone who wants the convenience of mobile e-mail / browser but who reads more e-mail than they send. Also, I think it fits much better with my lifestyle being a bit smaller.

As I said above, as I start to do more e-mailing, I'm finding I'm looking more toward a curve. For now, I probably receive about 200 emails a day and send about 10 short replies.

I feel a bit like I'm rambling, but I really just want to try to give you an accurate idea of my usage as I feel that it's really the best key to what may be the best option for a person. Individual needs vary and therefore, device choices vary.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    I have had the pearl and several other full qwerty keyboards. I would say that once I went to a full keyboard I never wanted to go back. It is worth the larger size for the ease of typing. I even recently bought an N95 which has no qwerty style keyboard, back to T9 was a killer.

If you have any other questions, I have owned about every blackberry and many of the other current smart phones, just let me know.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    BuddyC2- The rumours going around on this site and others is that a CDMA version of the Curve is coming. So if you are not in any hurry wait a few months and Verizon should have it. I've never used the full keyboard except in the stores to play with but for me the suretype has been no problem--unless you have very large hands!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc2 View Post
    I just read your post and enjoyed it. It sounds like you are really enjoying your Blackberry. I do not have one but am reading everything I can about them and considering purchasing one. I've had Verizon Wireless for many years and am well satisfied with their service. They do not have the Curve but they have the Pearl and I think I'd like the Curve better because of the qwerty keyboard.

I've considered switching to AT&T in order to get the Curve. I notice that AT&T is your wireless provider. Would you mind commenting about how you like them and their voice quality compared to other wireless services. Also any comments you'd like to make abut me choosing a BB would be greatly appreciated. If you'd rather not comment on the forum please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you could give me.
    Hi Buddy2

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an expert, and I can only tell you that I have had many mobile devices, including Palms, and have never used anything that comes even close to the quality and versatility of the Blackberry, not to mention the fun factor!

I bailed on AT&T back in the day and went to Cingular because the coverage and costomer service at AT&T was so horrible. When AT&T bought out Cingular, I thought "oh no, here we go again". Customer service is much better, but I can't really definitively comment on signal quality and coverage. That's because my wife's motorola, and my old Motorola have/had AWFUL performance, echos, dropped calls, no service, etc. I use the Pearl on the same carrier and I have no such problems. My calls are crisp and clear, and when they are dropped, it's usually on the other end.

I have looked longingly at the curve. I wish for a full keyboard because I email so much to my family from my blackberry, but I can't bring myself to give up my pearl whos only fault in my opinion is the keyboard.

Here's to RIM!

Denigris

PhxBlue no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    NO!
    Regarding quality of carrier signal/service. I'm guessing your region makes a difference. I had AT&T here in Phx,AZ and it was horrible. I left for T-Mobile and now I couldn't be happier. On the other hand i have a friend in Tennessee and he had the same problem as me only in reverse. Go figure...

salbo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31884ae9
    SureType is the stuff! I type way faster with my pearl than my friend can with his 8830 WE. The curve is still my first choice just because the pearl is.....too small for me. If your going to have a smartphone I say go for the gusto. The curve is just big enough to look more like a smartphone but still small enough to function as a normal phone. Still, SureType is my homie. Just be in for a ride if someone asks to use for phone to send a message or make a call. The normies don't understand the complexity of more than 12 buttons on a phone ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Lol! :d

Thank You!

Thanks to all of you for your courtesy to reply to my questions. I've used cell phones for many years but have never had a smart phone. I've had an LG from Verizon for three years and cannot complain about it----it's good for the purpose for which it was designed which is to make phone calls but it sure would be convenient to read my e-mail and reply to it with the phone.

I'm really impressed with the kindness of the people on this forum. It's like a big family and it seems when I purchase a bb that I'll have help with my questions if needed. It seems all of you really love your BB's and I've heard no one say they'd like to switch to an I-phone. Talk about customer loyalty-----WOW!

Thanks again to all of you and feel free to write me anytime with any info you feel I'd be interested in.