Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

There were a few uses of the generator using 4.1 with parentheses in the application ... General Blackberry forum

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

There were a few uses of the generator using 4.1 with parentheses in the application version number. I don't know what devices those were for, but I've enabled non-parenthesized entries for 4.1 now.

Let me know how it works.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

NightFire no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Wheel
    Thanks! I'll definitely give it a whirl (and post my results).

This entire process is quite intriguing, but there isn't much information out there (that I can find so far). I appreciate your help.

Under the Escreen > OS Engineering Screens > Device Info, there is a part that says 'MEP - xxxxx-xxx'. Are those digits related to an unlock code? Do those numbers have to be used to generate a code, like those used for the Escreen? Just curious, I'd like to understand how this all works (assuming you, or anyone else, has the time or inclination).
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

NightFire no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Wheel
    By the way, Thyth, your tweaks worked perfectly. Thanks!

ryan7977 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thyth,
    first off, thanks so much for putting that site up to get into the escreens. such a easy way to go. so ok, for those of you who got uma working...maybe a little help?

i have an unlocked bold (ATT), which i am adding to my existing tmo plan next week. i added those 2 certs for uma on the bold, and they show up with yellow question marks next to them. i put in my tmo sim, but i still don't have the option to check the uma settings in the escreens. is it an issue where i will have to download the service books first to make it work?
    Last edited by ryan7977; 04-01-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: correction

The Bold doesn't support UMA.

As to NightFire: I think the device unlock happens as a native API call to the firmware (RimDeactivateMepLock). I'm not sure if there is authentication processed in the firmware or in the OS module. If the unlock code verification happens in firmware, I won't be able to figure out unlocking any time soon (as it's a native binary for the device CPU, which I think is some sort of ARM).

On the other hand, it could be entirely checked in the options screen module, in which case, it would just be a matter of me looking through the code to net_rim_bb_options.cod and net_rim_bb_options_app.cod, which I'll have time to do in a few weeks.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Lightbulb

Ok, I take back the few weeks statement. I took a look a quick look to see what MEP code entry looked like.

I found the function in net.rim.device.apps.internal.options.items.SIMCard OptionsItem within the net_rim_bb_options_app module. The relevant parts of the function are as follows:
    Code:
    private final void method_11072(int type)
    {
       SimplePasswordDialog simplepassworddialog = new SimplePasswordDialog();
       simplepassworddialog.setRevealPassword(true);
       String unlockCode = simplepassworddialog.getText();
       SIMCard.requestDeactivateMEP(type, unlockCode.getBytes());
    }
    Edit: I just did a search for the SIMCard class. I found it in package net.rim.device.api.system within the module net_rim_cldc. Here is the function that the above method calls:
    Code:
    public static final void requestDeactivateMEP(int type, byte[] code)
    {
       // invokenative requestDeactivateMEP(int type, byte[] code)
    }
    This confirms what I suspected prior to the edit. The actual unlock validation happens in firmware. I'll have to figure out how to reverse engineer the binary firmware to proceed any further.

Don't expect a Thyth-o-matic subsidy unlock code generator any time soon.
    Last edited by Thyth; 04-02-2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Learned more.
    maxrfon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    The Bold doesn't support UMA.
    can i ask you how you have this verified? also, than what would these instructions be good for then? http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/0...n-t-mobile-us/

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    Hey everyone I see we're figuring things out. Good. Keep it up Thyth

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan7977 View Post
    can i ask you how you have this verified? also, than what would these instructions be good for then? http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/0...n-t-mobile-us/
    You can try it and see if it works. I used the same directions on an unbranded 8220 and it worked. Keep in mind, if you ever wipe your device or set it back to factory, you'll have to do it again.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    ive been trying different things with the escreens... so far ive figured out how to change the led colors, how to check battery temperatures etc...

anyone else have any other information theyve figured out or useful?
    How do you change the led colors?

Quote Originally Posted by ganns1980 View Post
    You can try it and see if it works. I used the same directions on an unbranded 8220 and it worked. Keep in mind, if you ever wipe your device or set it back to factory, you'll have to do it again.
    i have an unlocked bold (ATT), which i am adding to my existing tmo plan next week. i added those 2 certs for uma on the bold, and they show up with yellow question marks next to them. i put in my tmo sim, but i still don't have the option to check the uma settings in the escreens. is it an issue where i will have to download the service books first to make it work?
    been there. i was looking for anything about my not being able to get that part done

Sorry, I have a new baby so a lot of things are slipping right past me! Have you tried sending the tmo service books yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ganns1980 View Post
    Sorry, I have a new baby so a lot of things are slipping right past me! Have you tried sending the tmo service books yet?
    totally understandable! no, not yet. i will be going back to my tmo service on the 14th, so i will be able to get more in depth with it then

Thanks!

OK, keep us updated, we'll see if we can get it done.

Emphasis on use any "UMA Enabled" BlackBerry.

If you have an unlocked 8120, 8220, 8320, 8820, or 8900 (which are all UMA enabled), you can follow those instructions (substituting my generator in for the non-working username/password to get the code) to enable UMA.

The 9000, despite having a WiFi radio is not UMA enabled. Neither Rogers nor Orange (the two carriers that have UMA service and the 9000) offer their UMA services on the Bold, despite having other BlackBerry devices that support UMA just fine.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast