I finally got my phone/laptop to tether; now the question is, have any of you ... General Blackberry forum

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

Tethering - Do you pay when traveling Intl?

Advertisement

I finally got my phone/laptop to tether; now the question is, have any of you have done this when traveling internationally and if so were there service charges on your account? I do have an unlimited Intl. BB plan/Data plan!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by tessitori View Post
    I finally got my phone/laptop to tether; now the question is, have any of you have done this when traveling internationally and if so were there service charges on your account? I do have an unlimited Intl. BB plan/Data plan!
    Tessitori, I would think that with an unlimited international data plan you should be able to do it. However, you might check with your carrier just to get their "official position" on the situation.

Most US carriers charge for tethering even though you have an unlimited data plan. Some users don't pay the additional tethering fee and do it anyway - I don't know what the repercussions might be legally or otherwise if caught. It's best to check so you'll know "where you stand" with your carrier IMO. Then you can make your decision.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3
    Just wanted to give an update! I just finished about 3 months of traveling and used my Blackberry Bold as a tethered modem. Great coverage in Europe and super fast 3G networks and 4 to 5 bars most of the time. Downloads and uploads were quite fast the amount of data/file sizes I was pushing. Total charges for using phone as modem while traveling was a whopping $0.00! I do have an unlimited data plan and unlimited phone plan (domestic) with AT&T. While the data portion of the plan is great and allows me to tether, the only issue with my service is that I still have about an 8% drop call rate - down from 12% at the beginning of September!