Hi all! I'm leaving from the US tomorrow for vacation in Scotland for about 10 ... General Blackberry forum

Bill Moriarty no está en línea Stack level 1

Question temporary Voice/Data plan in Scotland for vacation from US?

Advertisement

Hi all! I'm leaving from the US tomorrow for vacation in Scotland for about 10 days and I'd love to make local Scotland calls and use my google maps & google search over there to find my way around.

T-Mobile USA (my provider) is unlocking my 8100 so I can buy a SIM card over there to get much better rates.

Any advice who/what to use to make calls in Scotland and use google maps while I'm there? They, of course, recommend T-Mobile UK.

I just don't want to get something and find google maps doesn't work but have never done this so don't know the right way to do it.

I don't care to receive calls or email since my number will switch temporarily with a new SIM card.

Also, are my old emails/txt messages stored on the phone? Will I be able to read the old stored messages once I've put in a new SIM card.

thanks so much for any advice,
    Bill

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: temporary Voice/Data plan in Scotland for vacation from US?

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml - this may help

i don't have all the answers to your questions, but typically emails/txts are stored on the phone unless you have saved them to the SIM. same with your contacts. if you haven't saved each one to your sim it is saved on the phone. with that said, i don't know if you switch sim's if you can still read emails from when a different sim was in the phone.

far as google maps working in scotland, i'm in texas and i can zoom to scotland, you want ot be able to find local businesses? bc i can find those too while here in the states.

Bill Moriarty no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: temporary Voice/Data plan in Scotland for vacation from US?

thanks I'll look at gsmworld

As to scotland - I meant my current US plans won't work in Scotland so I want a temporary plan so I can use google search apps while in Scotland