I have a 8310 Curve with 4.2.2. I have BES so a device password is ... General Blackberry forum

minimo3 no está en línea Stack level 1

Takes ages to unlock the device keyboard

Advertisement

I have a 8310 Curve with 4.2.2. I have BES so a device password is required. Recently whenever I need to unlock the device I key in the password and it shows me the "Please Wait" dialog for between 20 secs to up to a minute. The whole device just locks up while its taking place. I have about 23MB File Free. I have tried battery pulls, changing themes, deleting apps, nothing seems to work. My BES IT policy requires a device password so I can't just remove it. Is there anything I can do about this? It was working fine just last week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minimo3 View Post
    I have a 8310 Curve with 4.2.2. I have BES so a device password is required. Recently whenever I need to unlock the device I key in the password and it shows me the "Please Wait" dialog for between 20 secs to up to a minute. The whole device just locks up while its taking place. I have about 23MB File Free. I have tried battery pulls, changing themes, deleting apps, nothing seems to work. My BES IT policy requires a device password so I can't just remove it. Is there anything I can do about this? It was working fine just last week.

Thanks
    What likely happened is your BES IT policy was updated to include Content Protection set to "on". Check to see if there's a little padlock icon on your screen whenever you lock your device.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    What likely happened is your BES IT policy was updated to include Content Protection set to "on". Check to see if there's a little padlock icon on your screen whenever you lock your device.
    Yes there is a yellow padlock icon on the bottom right of the screen.

I looked at Settings->Security->General Settings and it shows Content Protection as Disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by minimo3 View Post
    Yes there is a yellow padlock icon on the bottom right of the screen.

I looked at Settings->Security->General Settings and it shows Content Protection as Disabled?
    The yellow padlock just means your device is locked, and has nothing to do with content protection - it would have been a smaller icon up where the date/time is. Since you see "disabled" on your security settings, then my theory was incorrect. Re-reading your post, at least right now, I can't think of anything that wouldn't have been taken care of by the battery pull(s) you already did. I'm officially baffled for now. I'm going to post in our Expert's forum and get a few other knowledgeable folks to come over and have a look, see if they have any ideas - -

SamlvsBB no está en línea Stack level 3
    mine is doing that as well... it takes about 20 seconds to to unlock the keyboard after i've entered my password. I dont have BES, i have BIS. I have 4.5. and also one thing i've noticed is that the game brickbreaker is so slow that it just stops for like 1 second when it hits a brick... it has however crashed on me twice. any thoughts?

I think I have a partial solution. The longer I keep the device powered on, the shorter the time it takes to get pass the password dialog. I had set mine to Auto-off every night and in the mornings the logins would be terribly slow but would get better and better as the day went on. By evening the logins are down to a tolerable 6-10 secs. So I'm going to disable the auto-off and just leave it running 24hrs.

My crazy BES policy also mandates a strong password and its a real pain to have to type it in each time just to check email or look at my calendar. On the weekends I remove the SIM card and put it into the iPhone. Its just so much easier to unlock - just a slide of the finger.

Amigotech, a Stack device expert, suggests the following when I posted your question in the Expert forum:
    The other possibility is updates that are being sent via the BES that the phone is downloading during idle times in the background. I don't know much about BES but the description of the fine details he provided later in the post show that the unit is busy when he is unlocking it.

Zo

avolcoff no está en línea Stack level 1
    check the application "UnlockIt" on App World