Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

does anyone have any comparisons or experience? I'm currently a cingular customer and looking to ... General Blackberry forum

xSteveO no está en línea Stack level 2

t-mobile or cingular? internet speeds

Advertisement

does anyone have any comparisons or experience? I'm currently a cingular customer and looking to move over to t-mobile due to prices of cingular.

I don't like having to pay $30 for data (no text) and then another $40 for voice (450 minutes) when I could get unlimited data, text, and 1000 minutes for $10 less

I'm just afraid of a slow down with browsing

LokiUCLA no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just ask

Re: t-mobile or cingular? internet speeds

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~just make sure tmo has good coverage in your are otherwise you are gonna wish you didn't switch. Tmo is kind of hot or miss with coverage. If you get good coverage everywhere you need to be then by all means save yourself the $10 but you might to try it out before you commit. With that said there are many satisfied tmo customers. As far as speed is concerned I have no direct comparison but ATT did just recently upgrade their network to make it faster. Tmo has yet to do so but they do offer the WIFI @home service so if you are around wifi a lot that could speed things up for you quite a bit with tmo.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Speed will be basically the same, although ATT/Cingular will most likely be slightly faster since many of their towers are modified. It really depends on your connection, device processor, available memory, distance to the tower, and tower congestion, plus a few other variables. Voice always has priority.

EDGE speeds tend to average 50-90 kbps, with the max at 236 kbps up to 300 kbps on modified towers. I do not believe TMO has the modified towers. EVDO (Verizon and Sprint) are considerably faster - average 400-800 kbps with a max up to 3.1 mbps with Rev A. You will see the speed differential mainly when you tether as opposed to surfing on your handheld however.

With all of this, you really need to base your choice of carriers to whomever provides the coverage when and where you need it - just as the previous poster mentioned.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Speed and price don't matter if you have no signal.

Just something to think about.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0
    Speed and price don't matter if you have no signal.

Just something to think about.

Exactly!

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Yah, $10 is not much extra to pay if you are satisfied right now. If you switch and coverage is poor, what did you really save?

xSteveO no está en línea Stack level 2

it's $10 less for more features is why I was considering it

cingulars plan with unlimited text is $50 ALONE! Add another $40 for a voice plan and I'm looking at $90 vs tmobile $60 and getting 550 minutes more out of it.

the upgrading of the towers didn't effect edge users from what I understand, I thought it was just for people with 3g capabilities, which is why I'm looking into the blackjack now

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by xSteveO
    the upgrading of the towers didn't effect edge users from what I understand, I thought it was just for people with 3g capabilities, which is why I'm looking into the blackjack now
    I don't believe this is correct. The upgrade of the towers was to help out with the increased data volume AT&T expected due to the release of the iPhone. And the iPhone isn't 3g. I thought it was for Edge...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0
    I don't believe this is correct. The upgrade of the towers was to help out with the increased data volume AT&T expected due to the release of the iPhone. And the iPhone isn't 3g. I thought it was for Edge...
    It was an ATT EDGE upgrade. Increased the max download speed from 236 kbps to about 300 kbps. Not a lot, but it was something. 3G rollouts are still occurring and are not in every market yet.

Battery life for a device on 3G is horrible, espeially if you are in a fringe area and it starts switching back and forth. I had a Blackjack and couldn't keep it away fromthe charger. Even the 2nd battery didn't help that much as it would only last a few hours. I gave up and went back to my BB.
    Last edited by Dubdub; 07-10-2007 at 08:38 AM.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by xSteveO
    does anyone have any comparisons or experience?
    Coverage is your biggest concern. Give it a shot. TMO has a trial period just like any other carrier. Just be sure to fully check out coverage during that period to make sure it meets your needs.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Coverage is your biggest concern. Give it a shot. TMO has a trial period just like any other carrier. Just be sure to fully check out coverage during that period to make sure it meets your needs.
    takeshi is right. $10 or $50, it doesn't matter if you don't have a signal. Give it a try and see while retaining your present account. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

The speed bump was for EDGE and it does seem to help for me. As others have said, 3G sounds great but for the amount of battery it sucks up, I'll stay where I am.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I really do think that 3G will be the new EDGE. It's just going to take a while. Give it a few years. See if it takes off. Until then, I'll stick with my Pearl using Edge. Plus, it's not going to his us rural users anytime soon so that's another minus for me.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

c1chrisc1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6B92F

Don't do it. I say stick with cingular.

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i would like to put my 2 cents here, I am a sprint guy and have bin for 10+yrs, and I love it, if you don't travel out of the us, then I think sprint has the fastes internet speeds out there.

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by joek71
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i would like to put my 2 cents here, I am a sprint guy and have bin for 10+yrs, and I love it, if you don't travel out of the us, then I think sprint has the fastes internet speeds out there.
    Sprint doesn't have the coverage of ATT however. And it all boils down tothe bottom line: WHo has the coverage when and where you need it. Speed does you no good if you don't have a connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast