Hello, I was just issued an 8700c by my company (new job). It is set ... General Blackberry forum

IRollman no está en línea Stack level 1

Syncing to Dual PCs?

Advertisement

Hello,

I was just issued an 8700c by my company (new job). It is set up to sync wirelessly with the exchange server at work, and the syncing of email, contacts, notes and tasks seems to work fine. But... I have been using Outlook at home for forever (it seems), so I have, as you might guess, all my personal stuff is on my personal PST file.

What I want to do:

* Keep the work stuff as is - it does fine.
    * Sync my home contacts and notes to the 8700
    * Sync them "separately" - in other words, if I sync to my home PC, it won't automatically take my home contacts and put them on my work PC, and vice versa. For example, if I maintain a "shopping list" note on my home PC, it should appear on my 8700, but NOT on my work PC, and if I update it on the BB, it should update on my home PC. (Does that make sense?)

MY QUESTION: is this possible? If the answer is yes, I can futz around and get it working. If no, I'd rather know up front so I don't spend hours trying to do something I can't.

Thanks!

- Irv Rollman, Highlands Ranch, CO

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Syncing to Dual PCs?

Will check this one out tomorrow. Good questions...

IRollman no está en línea Stack level 1

Any results or thoughts yet?

mrfrank no está en línea Stack level 1

Dont know if this is the solution you're looking for but you can set the sync properties on your desktop manager to go one way from pc to blackberry instead of 2way (pc to bb and bb to pc) on your home pc therefore you wont bring your work home with you.

zerof no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by mrfrank
    Dont know if this is the solution you're looking for but you can set the sync properties on your desktop manager to go one way from pc to blackberry instead of 2way (pc to bb and bb to pc) on your home pc therefore you wont bring your work home with you.
    The above will prevent work stuff (calendar, contacts, etc) from adding to his outlook at home. But without doing the same one way sync procedure for the wireless sync, all his home stuff will get loaded to his work computer. I am not familiar with wireless sync. Is there such an option for the wireless sync?

By doing one way syncs only, the implication is that changes made to bb data will not be replicated on any of your desktops.

Alternative to mrfrank's suggestion will be to use sync filters on bb desktop manager. It is accessible at desktop manager -> synchronize -> configuration tab -> configure synch.. button -> configure drop down -> advanced settings. In your Outlook, add "Personal" (or whatever else you like) to a unused data field for all records. Set up a filter to only transfer records with "Personal" in that particular field. It should effective filters the transfer to your personal data only.

Again, I am not familiar with the wireless sync capabililty. But if you can set up similar filter, then syncing to dual PCs should be possible.

howitzer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DA6E34

Quote Originally Posted by zerof
    The above will prevent work stuff (calendar, contacts, etc) from adding to his outlook at home. But without doing the same one way sync procedure for the wireless sync, all his home stuff will get loaded to his work computer. I am not familiar with wireless sync. Is there such an option for the wireless sync?

By doing one way syncs only, the implication is that changes made to bb data will not be replicated on any of your desktops.

Alternative to mrfrank's suggestion will be to use sync filters on bb desktop manager. It is accessible at desktop manager -> synchronize -> configuration tab -> configure synch.. button -> configure drop down -> advanced settings. In your Outlook, add "Personal" (or whatever else you like) to a unused data field for all records. Set up a filter to only transfer records with "Personal" in that particular field. It should effective filters the transfer to your personal data only.

Again, I am not familiar with the wireless sync capabililty. But if you can set up similar filter, then syncing to dual PCs should be possible.
    What he said.

I wrestled with this for a year but there is not a 100% solution for some reason contacts always leak their way in to wrong place, the wrong data is deleted and everything else unless you meticulously check every single entry when syncing, every time.

I gave up. It was too time consuming.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's not a practical solution. If you need to keep personal data personal you need to keep it off the company BES-connected BB anyway.

dba7dba no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a blackberry that I've been using as a personal phone for awhile. I've been synching it with Outlook for contacts/schedule/task. And I use Gmail Mobile client to access my Gmail acct. The $100/month bill hurts but I find the features really useful so I am going to keep it.

Now work wants to give me a blackberry device and they have Blackberry Enterprise Server. As the original poster said, I don't want my personal contacts/calendar to end up on work Exchange/BES server. Nor do I want work stuff to end up on my home Outlook. So there is no practical solution to this? Can Blackberry support 'dual personality' blackberry device?

If I can't find a solution to this i may actually 'refuse' the blackberry work wants to give me... If RIM wants to reach out to more customers they should add this 'dual personality: work and home' feature in their software. Think of how many more users will buy their own blackberry device for personal use, and than ask their employer buy BES licenses to connect to work email. Businesses may end up buying more BES licenses because they need to provide BES license only. And this means more users getting hooked on the blackberry.

How can we get blackberry to put out this feature? Any one know how to start a petition to send to RIM?