Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi folks! I'm relatively new to the smartphone world. I've owned a Treo 700w for ... General Blackberry forum

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3

Switching From Treo To BB - What am I looking For?

Advertisement

Hi folks!

I'm relatively new to the smartphone world. I've owned a Treo 700w for over a year and I've been contemplating switching to a BB for a couple of (so far) superficial reasons - I hate using a stylus, and the QWERTY on the BB's are far more comfortable than the one on the Treo.

I am self-employed - a marketing consultant, so I use my phone for both work and personal reasons. I don't care about cameras or downloading the latest Beyonce song as a ringtone. My major priorities are as follows:

1. Phone quality (clarity)
    2. Contacts management
    3. Calendar
    4. Task management
    5. Email

As you can see, email ranks at the bottom of my priorities, so that's where my hesitation lies. Aren't BB's primarily email devices and smartphones second? I was looking at the 8703, but the 8800 intrigues me. Do BB's have in depth contacts and calendar managing abilities?

I want to get away from a Windows based OS, so any input from you folks will be greatly appreciated.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Switching From Treo To BB - What am I looking For?

Contacts and calendar functions are adequate. I am an IT business Development Exec and find it works for me. Email, phone and calendar are my priorities. I carry a Cingualr BB and a Verizon phone to make sure I have adequate coverage. Phone quality on my BB is good, and I use a BT headset which helps a lot.

The O/S is definitely more stable. I came from 3 Treo 600s and a 650 and now have the 8700c. The Treos tended to randomly reboot themselves for no apparant reason. I can remember the last time I had an unexplained reboot on my BB.

If you use 3rd party software, there are not as many applications for the bB as the for the Treo however.

8800 will be out on Cingular this week. Who know when it will be out on the other carriers. Shoudl be a bit smaller than the 87xx series, but since I haven't actually seen one, I can't say. Lots of stuff here in the forums about it though.

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

blackberrys are not mainly used for email...if you rather have a better internet browser treo or windows phones are better but you can dowload 3rd party apps. including opera mini which is a internet browser...the call clarity on my pearl is good...atleast i think so...it's easy to sync all my contacts and calender things to my outlook...its not difficult by any means and doesn't take more than maybe 5 minutes...if you have anymore questions feel free to ask me

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by trigga15
    blackberrys are not mainly used for email...if you rather have a better internet browser treo or windows phones are better but you can dowload 3rd party apps. including opera mini which is a internet browser...the call clarity on my pearl is good...atleast i think so...it's easy to sync all my contacts and calender things to my outlook...its not difficult by any means and doesn't take more than maybe 5 minutes...if you have anymore questions feel free to ask me
    I second Trigga's comment here...

My BB Pearl has been very stable, and it fits my needs perfectly. I use the IM (JiveTalk), Phone, Calendar, E-mail, and some light web browsing. It's easy to sync and transfer pics and audio files also.

I love my BB...I think you'd be making a good investment to change from Treo to BB
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

r1ch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Yup,

Best thing I've done so far this year is drop the Treo 650 for the BB.

BB's are ROCK solid. I myself can't remember the last time my BB has rebooted unexpectidly.

Things I've lost in the transition are: Camera and Infra red. Camera I hardly used anyway since I have no need to take pictures every day and infra red, well, that's outdated tcehnology now since eveything else is wifi and bluetooth compatible.

Thiings I need were: email, rock solid os that doesn't crash every 5mins and third party apss that just work!!

The BB fits the bill tremendously!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub
    Contacts and calendar functions are adequate..
    I'd agree but someone coming from a Treo probably wouldn't feel that way. You really need to look at a live device to make sure that the PIM fucntions meet your needs. They meet mine but my needs are very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch007
    BB's are ROCK solid.
    This is precisely why I switched from using Treos. All the features in the world are great but useless if you can't rely on a coverged device like this.

First, I'd like to thank you guys for your input so far.

Now, can someone who has used both speak to how "adequate" contacts and calendar are on the BB as opposed to the Treo? Can you dial contacts directly from your address book? As far as the calendar goes, all I really require is the ability to set appointments and reminders - that kind of thing.

By the way, I know lots of folks have complained about their Treo crashing and rebooting, but quite frankly in the year I've had it, I've only rebooted maybe a handful of times.

PIN/ID
    21655FFB

yeah you can dial directly out of your address book and its as easy as 123 to put an appointment in to your blackberry

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Quote Originally Posted by BBwannabe
    First, I'd like to thank you guys for your input so far.

Now, can someone who has used both speak to how "adequate" contacts and calendar are on the BB as opposed to the Treo? Can you dial contacts directly from your address book? As far as the calendar goes, all I really require is the ability to set appointments and reminders - that kind of thing.
    In your first post you inquired about (but not asked for) "in depth" management of calendar and contracts. What you have posted is very simplistic in terms of PIM management. Most basic cell phones have the ability to set appointments and reminders. This would be called "adequate." The BlackBerry can do that as well as dial from address book.

Some people are used to tighter integration with MS Office Outlook and Ms Exchnage Server 2003 with Windows Mobile 5. Also Mac support has been better with Palm O/S Treos.

Just be aware that any esoteric functions available to a full-fledged computer will probably not be available on the BB. This is what people are cautioning against. Too many people adopt these devices and become disenchanted upon learning that certain functions are not available, sometimes by design. BB != PC.

If you have any ideas that RIM can use to improve the BB experience, by all means let them know --> bbsuggestions@rim.com .

By the way, I know lots of folks have complained about their Treo crashing and rebooting, but quite frankly in the year I've had it, I've only rebooted maybe a handful of times.
    The original and older firmware revisions of the Treo 650 had problems. The was purported to have been fixed for well over a year now.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

A handful of reboots is too much for me. Bbs are the best pda devices out there right now. You will not regret switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc
    In your first post you inquired about (but not asked for) "in depth" management of calendar and contracts. What you have posted is very simplistic in terms of PIM management. Most basic cell phones have the ability to set appointments and reminders. This would be called "adequate." The BlackBerry can do that as well as dial from address book.

Some people are used to tighter integration with MS Office Outlook and Ms Exchnage Server 2003 with Windows Mobile 5. Also Mac support has been better with Palm O/S Treos.

Just be aware that any esoteric functions available to a full-fledged computer will probably not be available on the BB. This is what people are cautioning against. Too many people adopt these devices and become disenchanted upon learning that certain functions are not available, sometimes by design. BB != PC.
    I guess what I meant by "in depth" was that I use the calendar feature very heavily. Sorry about that.

See, what you're describing doesn't turn me off as I hate using Outlook and would love to get my contacts and calendar stuff as far away from MS as I can.

Hmmm...I guess that answers my questions, doesn't it?

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

What carrier are you with? Most will give you a 30 day trial. If you don't like it, switch back.............but you won't.

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

Have you grabbed it for yourself yet? Don't starve yourself any longer!

I was actually going to pick up the 8800 next week from Cingular...but then a friend who works for Sprint informed me that they'll have the phone in June. So it looks like a.) I'm Blackberry bound and b.) I'll have to wait a bit - no way I'd take Cingular over Sprint.

I was actually sniffing around the Motorola Q but I've heard so many bad things about it, while I've only ever heard good things about BB's I think I'll stick with my decision.

PIN/ID
    21655FFB

haha sprint wont get the 8800 in june...they dont even have the pearl and got the 8700 like a year after it came out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast