Ok, I am wondering this, and don't know why. Maybe because I am bored at ... General Blackberry forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Streaming Video on the new devices...What exactly will be possible?

Advertisement

Ok, I am wondering this, and don't know why. Maybe because I am bored at work and my brain isn't functioning, but anyways...

Ok, everyone is aware that the new devices apparently will have multimedia capabilities.

HOWEVER, what are the chances that these devices (the wifi equipped ones with multimedia) will actually be able to stream live video?

Here is my reasoning for asking:

On websites such as CNN, NY1, etc, the videos are in windows video or real player or quicktime format correct?

Now obviously a Q and other windows mobile devices will have the built in programming (Windows Media Player/etc) to stream videos.

However, will Blackberry be able to develop a program that can convert these media files to play on an RIM Operating System? Or will we be stuck with some company that is going to have to format the videos into some format that will allow the OS to recognize the video?

I am 1/2 awake and only had 1 cup of coffee, so lets hear thoughts on this.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Streaming Video on the new devices...What exactly will be possible?

Good points! I'm almost 100% certain that the all new QWERTY Blackberry coming soon will be able to Stream Video with audio at some point. The Blackberries are most efficient when it comes to data usage of any kind. Compared to the Q and Treo they are like owning a Hybrid vehicle compared to a Hummer. Thus, in future Carrier offers for streaming will most likely be lowest on Blackberry; as Blackberry will not abuse be able to impact thier bandwidth capacity. Mike Lazaridis mentioned this quite a bit about the all that you can eat data networks. He warned that carriers need to be very careful about unlimited wireless data plans: "Now matter how you slice it, bandwidth is not free." he said. We should be thankful the Carriers don't think that way

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

Wow, I hadn't thought about that! Streaming video from CNN is one of the things that has me drooling over the 8100. I'd be truly bummed if I pony up the money for it and streaming video isn't available right off the bat!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Exactly. What about the SureType devices? If I'm not going to be able to watch videos on the 8100, I'll stick with my 7105t.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

"Now obviously a Q and other windows mobile devices will have the built in programming (Windows Media Player/etc) to stream videos."

Is this really a foregone conclusion? Has anyone actually seen this type of service on a Q or Windows Mobile device? Does it work well? Even on my own home broadband connection streaming video is a bit hit-and-miss. Is this a type of service an EDGE or EV-DO network can deliver with acceptable quality of service?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    "Now obviously a Q and other windows mobile devices will have the built in programming (Windows Media Player/etc) to stream videos."

Is this really a foregone conclusion? Has anyone actually seen this type of service on a Q or Windows Mobile device? Does it work well?
    http://www.qusers.com/staticpages/in..._Slingbox_Tivo

Above link is the Q controlling a Tivo via Slingbox.

On my IPAQ as long as I am in a wifi area, if I log onto a website I can pull any video that is wmv based and stream it, however can't do it with real player or quick time videos.

As to how well it works, depends on many factors obviously.

And for evdo and edge being fast enough, don't think its fast enough to stream.

As far as I know, the only MOBILE telephone type that is fast enough as of this moment is the Q on the Verizon network.

Obviously IPAQ's and other handheld computers can, but only if you are in a wifi area.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

I missed the detail about this being on the Wi-Fi devices, not the mobile network ones. Yes, obviously Wi-Fi devices will have the bandwidth support streaming video.

On a more abstract level, what would be the value of the BlackBerry platform supporting this type of application? In one sense, this sounds like primarily a mobile entertainment application. Is this something one would use on a regular basis? Perhaps a regular business traveller would appreciate being able to watch news clips while seated in a hot-spot at an airport?

Admitedly, this would have a cool "wow" factor the first couple times you did it. But in terms of a business proposition, would it have enough functionality that it significantly increases the value of the device?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Yes...Or those who take the subways/trains to and from work. Or if someone is sitting somewhere and wants to kill time. Or some breaking news happens (IE. 9/11ish), you would be able to tune in live.

Also as it had been mentioned before, in Japan there are mobile devices with built in video cameras that support real time video confrencing. The possibilities are endless.

Rather than carry and XM radio and a blackberry and a camera, you can have it all in one convenient little device.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

And more and more business presentations are including either streaming video, included video or just streaming the presentations totally, with discussions following the presentations. It could be an advantage during a teleconference or a net conference, when you were suddenly caught stranded and had to participate from your BB.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

I really hope that Slingbox thing comes to blackberry. That would be amazing. I really would like to have streaming video on my blackberry and a slingbox type thing would be even better because I have a DVR at home and could watch whatever wherever I am.

COJO 24

ckgdrums no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    242668C7

It sounds like the slingbox, or similar device, could be made to work on a Blackberry. The question to me is, can the carriers beef up their networks to support that kind of bandwidth usage using a regular cell phone data connection as opposed to WiFi?
    Chuck