Hi, I currently have the 8830 from Verizon, and I want a new one. I ... General Blackberry forum

Izzyontheeyes no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Storm or Curve?

Advertisement

Hi,
    I currently have the 8830 from Verizon, and I want a new one. I played around with the Storm a few times, and I'm not really loving it. I'm thinking of getting the curve, because I think it's an all around great phone, and I'm not really sure if we'll see a new phone from VZW any time soon. SO what do you guys think? Should I bite the bullet and get a curve?
    Also, is there an OS 4.5 for the CDMA curve out? Official or Beta release? I can't find it with the new site layout. Thanks guys, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have an 8330 and it's a great device. The Storm seems to be a love it or hate it device. I am seriously considering it myself. The latest OS for verizon 8330 is 4.5.0.77 i believe, can be downloaded here.
    The latest official release for the 8330 is the Alltel 4.5.0.89 but I have used both and saw no noticable difference between the two versions.

Also to get to the latest official os for all models go to the top of the page, hover the cursor on blogs, there will be a drop down, hover over jdelsalla and you will see his 3 most popular blogs, one being the latest OS
    Last edited by azstar; 01-01-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    Yes, there is the 4.5 os out for the curve. It should come preinstalled on your phone since the os been out for like a month. If you want to stay within your comfort zone then get the curve. You know what it has and can do and how reliable it is. If you have patience, go for the storm. I know that there are issues as far as responce time, but if I had the option to upgrade the curve, I'd give up my curve just because. The resolution and sound alone of the storm I played with convinced me that its a beast. Mind you, the storm Is still a BB so the usual features are the standard features, you just have to get accustomed to the touchscreen. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by Charlie Hustle; 01-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    I'd say read the reviews from BlackBerry owners...

Charlie does make some good points.

williamsj83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305845BF
    i used a curve 8330 and now i use the storm.... between the two devices you really cant go wrong, but if your like me just love the touchscreen then you know which phone to choose. but if you prefer the physical qwerty keyboard then you know which one to go with. functionality wise they are the same blackberry software has minor changes on the storm mostly for touchscreen functionality. now that i have the storm i love it and i have no plans to return to the curve which i just sold on Ebay.....

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have the 8330 and love it. I plan on getting the Storm after the Merger is complete. I am sure I will love it but I will not let go of my Curve because since day one it has been the most awesome device I have ever owned.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Bold! Hahaha.

~via BB Bold!(wap.pinstack.com)~

Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm leaning more towards the curve. I'll probably wait for the next gen Storm to come out to jump on that bandwagon.
    How easy it is to switch devices? I know my PIN will change, but will I still be able to keep the vzw.blackberry.net email that I have now? And will I have to rebuy my third party apps? Such as Empower, BBText2IM, PeekaWho, etc?
    ETA: and will I be able to use the same SD card?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    If you use the device switch wizard you will keep your same email, you will probably have to contact the 3rd party app maker and see if they will transfer it to your new device. I know when I ask the sales rep for doc to go if I got a new device what would happen I was told to email with details and they would take care of it.

Loony2nz no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a Curve 8330 and love it! Added an 8gb memory card and I have a much better iPhone

Anyway, if you're into the touch screen thingy, the Storm will fit the bill. However it still needs some polish on the OS. There are some things that totally irritate me with the phone. Like a serious lag in Camera funcationality..ugh...it's so bad it's practically unusable.

The Curve is a great device. full keyboard, great OS (i have 4.5.097), it's totally portable and it just makes me so productive and keeps me in touch with everyone/everything. Cons of the curve for me is the limited onboard memory and the slow CPU. But, those are things I can live with.

I wish the Curve 8900 was on a timeline somewhere to be upgraded to 3G. I'd be all over it like flies to well..you know. hahaha

If you want a device right now..go for the curve. If you can wait a bit, I'm sure the Storm's cons will be fixed with OS updates. So it's up to you. Do you have an instant gratification need? hehehe

So I just wanted to give a quick update:
    I got the pink Curve, and I love it so much! It really is the perfect phone. I love that it's smaller than the 8830, the keyboard is so much better, and it has double the memory. As soon as I got it, I upgraded to the latest OS from Alltell. Also, I see that the calendar now displays all day events, which is great. I removed VAD and language files, so now I have tons of space so I never have to worry about my applications. I was also able to re-register all my software to my new PIN. All in all, I'm very pleased, and I'm glad I didn't get the storm. I played around with it more and I hate it!

JK64 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31BEA254
    Totally with you on your opinion of the storm.. Had an 8703e, Pearl, Curve and tried the Storm .. That lasted three days .. Couldn't wait to get back to my Curve.. Will wait until Verizons next BB release which I'm hoping is the Curve 8900..Good luck with your pink Curve, you'll love it.. JK~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

toomuchgame441 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30457A4C
    Had my Curve 8330 for a while now and I love my cuvre. It has everything that I need in a phone. For me I'm a big multimedia and internet person. So the fact that both work very well on this device is just a plus to me. Plus applications that you can DL are just great. Very satisfied with it all and all and I'm not sure what will eventually replace it.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzyontheeyes View Post
    Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm leaning more towards the curve. I'll probably wait for the next gen Storm to come out to jump on that bandwagon.
    How easy it is to switch devices? I know my PIN will change, but will I still be able to keep the vzw.blackberry.net email that I have now? And will I have to rebuy my third party apps? Such as Empower, BBText2IM, PeekaWho, etc?
    ETA: and will I be able to use the same SD card?
    If you use the thrid party back up method, then you can save your third party apps and transfer them to your new device. Go here to see how to do it.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f73/how_to_back_up_3rd_party_apps-98799/