So last night my buddy and I were at a party and someone stole his ... General Blackberry forum

che17 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Stolen Phone!

Advertisement

So last night my buddy and I were at a party and someone stole his cell phone!! He had a black 8100 pearl and like me he loved that phone and used it for everything. We have been call it and txting it. Some chicks answered it at first then they took the SIM out and it just goes to VM. Is there anything that he can do with TMo to have them corrupt or something like that just so that they can't use it.
    I have read about phone recovery software and things like that but i just never paid that much attention to it, cause i am really good at keeping track of my stuff. But this has really got me worried. Could someone also tell me about the software that is out there to help with stolen phones?
    Thanks!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    about the only thing you can do is have it blacklisted where anyone using the IMEI # cannot activate it, sorry

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    about the only thing you can do is have it blacklisted where anyone using the IMEI # cannot activate it, sorry
    i agree

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Here's something to check out, Hayden posted this recently:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=77077

My dad dropped his pearl in a Home Depot parking lot 2 days ago....thankfully an honest person found it and turned it in and he was able to go pick it up as soon as he realized it was missing.......wish everyone was nice like that.....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    I agree 100% however if its activated on a BES (Which I'm assuming it isn't) however there are other possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Here's something to check out, Hayden posted this recently:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=77077

My dad dropped his pearl in a Home Depot parking lot 2 days ago....thankfully an honest person found it and turned it in and he was able to go pick it up as soon as he realized it was missing.......wish everyone was nice like that.....
    Great memory, I just wish that user knew about that previous to this event occuring.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post

Great memory, I just wish that user knew about that previous to this event occuring.
    Yeah, too bad, but the OP did ask for info about software to help get stolen phones back, that's why I gave the link

...........the story is just to remind us that there are still a few honest people left out there .......even if the party chicks were thieving, evil, mean, stupid people
    Last edited by azstar; 06-29-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

JasonHDD no está en línea Stack level 3
    hope I don't get in trouble for posting this here...but your friend needs/needed this>> http://crackberry.com/getitback-find...len-blackberry

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    If they took the SIM out then its not broadcasting. only thing to do is have tmo blacklist the IMEI , but as far as the nudes on your buddys phone. the theif has them now.

Smile

Thanks for all your help. He ended up having to just buy a new phone from TMo. He got a full discount so he didn't pay more then 200 but still that isn't cool. We had the phone blacklisted with TMo too, so i am just hoping that they try to use it and can't haha. But its really sad that there aren't more honest ppl today! With the way that we are going with technology, and society we are using are cell phone for more and more everyday. With me, had they taken mine it would have been game over because i have everything in it. Just like account numbers, check book, phone numbers, and my email syncs to it too. So if they were smart they could have even more info using email. That being said i bought Get It Back. I find it a small price to pay for my Blackberry!
    But thank you all for you help!

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    If the owner of the berry or any one for that matter used an app called FIND IT you could have sent a call me command and had the device dial 911 , this would place the devices gps position on the system and the law would have to respond to the call and possibly recover the unit. its only five dollars to buy and takes a few minutes to set up. then it reads the headers of incoming e mails to the primary account and will respond to key words and act accordingly.
    I found it here on pinstack some where I think.
    Its like the otter box I bought .It protects the device and the info on it with out bes .And there is a way to lock the sim card to a device so the card can not be changed with out the code to release it , this would effectively render the device useless to any one other than the owner or account admin.

Wow i didn't know that you could get something like FIND IT. That sounds like some pretty serious stuff to be able to do remotely. I am going to have to check it out.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Yea the FIND IT sounds awesome. But i have to wonder how the SIM card protection works? ..

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.
    Best way to handle this problem is by doing the following.

1. Move all your contacts(from sim) to the phone address book.
    2. Every time you add a new contact, sync it or backup your contacts with DM(once a week is good).
    3. Backup the entire phone weekly or when major changes are done.

4. Enable password protection, Enable Content Protection(use Strongest) and include the Address Book as part of the protection.

5. Type your password, your password should not be less than 12 characters.

If you do the above, I can guarantee you nobody in this planet will be able to break into it and get the data out. The best they can do is wipe the phone. For some owners thats better because the data is probably worth more than the phone.

Hope that helps.