Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I recently had issues with a one month old 8820, one month old ........... Because ... General Blackberry forum

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Stand Behind Your Product!

Advertisement

I recently had issues with a one month old 8820, one month old...........
    Because of ATT's 30 day return policy, I almost couldn't get another NEW phone, ATT wanted to give me a refurbished phone.

Why would I want a refurbished phone?

If I wanted a refurbished phone I would have bought a refurbished phone for half the price....

I know I am not the only one out there, I just replied to someone else's post on the same issue. On my personal issue I did try to escalate this a bit further, I called RIM, (they already had been working with me on the issue, they are the ones that declared my phone defective), so I explained the issue with ATT and to my surprise, they politely sent me back to talk to ATT because they couldnt do nothing for me...

I do not understand why a world class company that sells high tech communication devices around the globe leaves it's back naked by allowing other companies like ATT's and its cannibalizing warranty department to stand by their device.

As far as my personal experience is concerned, I was able to receive a new phone thanks to a great fellow stacker (harry3334 )and a nice ATT's Fullerton CA store manger named Ramiro, but I indeed was lucky, wasnt I ? , RIM ??

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Stand Behind Your Product!

RIM doesn't deal with AT&T's policy. Once sold to AT&T they take care of all that. It's all about who you bought it from not the original manufacturer. At least with cell phones. You really can't fault RIM for AT&T's policy. IF you don't like AT&T switch carriers. It's the power of being a consumer.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    RIM doesn't deal with AT&T's policy. Once sold to AT&T they take care of all that. It's all about who you bought it from not the original manufacturer. At least with cell phones. You really can't fault RIM for AT&T's policy. IF you don't like AT&T switch carriers. It's the power of being a consumer.
    I understand what you are saying red, however thats not necessarily what everyone does, I have bought products from other brands before and when they had issues, I have called the manufacturer and they have always offered to replace them, in my head I can recall motorola for an example, and this is exactly the point of my suggestion for RIM.

Why do they NOT take this matters that affect their products and its ultimately negatively affecting their brand into their control?
    I mean If I were RIM I would be definitely worried about how customers that are dissatisfied with my product are taken care of, and I wouldn't leave that up to any cell phone company.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by cabron View Post
    I understand what you are saying red, however thats not necessarily what everyone does, I have bought products from other brands before and when they had issues, I have called the manufacturer and they have always offered to replace them, in my head I can recall motorola for an example, and this is exactly the point of my suggestion for RIM.

Why do they NOT take this matters that affect their products and its ultimately negatively affecting their brand into their control?
    I mean If I were RIM I would be definitely worried about how customers that are dissatisfied with my product are taken care of, and I wouldn't leave that up to any cell phone company.
    I do understand where you are coming from though and I am in no way defending AT&Ts actions or RIMs. When working with larger corporations they have policies in place and certain guidelines to follow so they don't get the short end of the stick. False claims and just greedy consumers just make it that much harder for the honest average joe. There is a certain point they are willing to bend but once past that point its hard to budge from it. Just look at how many people returned their pearls because it was deleting messages. It was a simple fix but you have to wonder how much it costed them.

I do hear you though. They should back up their product but referbished doesn't always mean bad. I also agree I wouldn't let AT&T determine if my customers disatisfied with my product but then it just comes back to policy of AT&T. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of anyone getting a replacement from RIM themselves.

Just my thoughts.

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3

Actually I tried to buy a refurbished phone but they couldn't sell it to me over the phone, they said "we use those for people who have problems", I guess that was you..

jakesmobile no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the phone has a one year Manufacture warranty. RIM is responsable for the warranty, I do feel bad for the customer sometimes but its the same deal at bestbuy, if your gateway takes a crap after a month of owning it Bestbuy makes you send it to gateway, Bestbuy doesnt replace it. Two years ago I did get a replacement from RIM directly with their replacement option which was great but now when I call and ask them for that they think I'm crazy. Also a 30 day return policy is very nice the current company I work for has only 14days, Altell has a 15day policy I do believe.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmobile View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the phone has a one year Manufacture warranty. RIM is responsable for the warranty, I do feel bad for the customer sometimes but its the same deal at bestbuy, if your gateway takes a crap after a month of owning it Bestbuy makes you send it to gateway, Bestbuy doesnt replace it. Two years ago I did get a replacement from RIM directly with their replacement option which was great but now when I call and ask them for that they think I'm crazy. Also a 30 day return policy is very nice the current company I work for has only 14days, Altell has a 15day policy I do believe.
    Actually, RIM's policy now is that you can only go directly to RIM for a replacement if you bought your device directly from RIM, which obviously, no consumer can purchase a device directly from RIM (exception being I believe an 8705?).

So that's where you're screwed. You have to deal directly with the wireless carrier, and they in turn can deal directly with RIM.

It's never really bothered me any, other than the "policy" that Sprint has in effect that you HAVE to pay $35 or $55 for a replacement device that is STILL under warranty UNLESS you purchase the extra ESRP/ESP on that device.

To me, that is a bit misleading and a bit of a rip-off, but then again, it IS Sprint that I am talking about here.

I have never seen an issue with TMO. Call them, tell them your phone is jacked, they send you a new one and you send yours in after it arrives (Assuming you don't have water damage on it).

The times I have dealt with Verizon they seemed pretty quick to get you a new device as well for no charge.

Can't speak for AT&T though...I hate them and have not/will not deal with them at all.

jakesmobile no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Actually, RIM's policy now is that you can only go directly to RIM for a replacement if you bought your device directly from RIM, which obviously, no consumer can purchase a device directly from RIM (exception being I believe an 8705?).

So that's where you're screwed. You have to deal directly with the wireless carrier, and they in turn can deal directly with RIM.

It's never really bothered me any, other than the "policy" that Sprint has in effect that you HAVE to pay $35 or $55 for a replacement device that is STILL under warranty UNLESS you purchase the extra ESRP/ESP on that device.

To me, that is a bit misleading and a bit of a rip-off, but then again, it IS Sprint that I am talking about here.

I have never seen an issue with TMO. Call them, tell them your phone is jacked, they send you a new one and you send yours in after it arrives (Assuming you don't have water damage on it).

The times I have dealt with Verizon they seemed pretty quick to get you a new device as well for no charge.

Can't speak for AT&T though...I hate them and have not/will not deal with them at all.
    If you don't mind e asking Why do you not like at&t? Bad expierence with their reps? Poor custoer care?
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post

If you don't mind e asking Why do you not like at&t? Bad expierence with their reps? Poor customer care?
    Last edited by jakesmobile; 11-26-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Automerged.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

If you don't mind e asking Why do you not like at&t? Bad expierence with their reps? Poor custoer care?
    -------

If you don't mind e asking Why do you not like at&t? Bad expierence with their reps? Poor customer care?
    Please allow me to jump in and offer some thoughts and experiences with AT&T.

1) Understand that I am NOT sticking up for them, simply being honest and reporting my experiences over a period of years.

2) I also use T-Mobile as my secondary carrier as I have a few lines to share amongst my collection of phones.

3) I've tried them all and find AT&T the very best (for me) Period.

Best Customer Service
    Best Coverage, Signal Strength, and Clarity
    Great choice of phones
    Very friendly reps.
    Easy to get good pricing on phones even when NOT eligible for upgrades.
    Just this year I have purchased 3 BlackBerrys, and 7 other types of phones from them and not once did I pay the full upgrade price.
    If they make a mistake on my bill, they always offer a credit in airtime in addition to removing the charges that were posted by mistake.
    Finally they always thank me for my business, without fail.
    I remain a very happy AT&T customer.

I believe it's all in how you approach them. I am simply calm, pleasant, stated the issue I was calling about, or when in the store, inquiring about and they have taken care of me every time with courtesy, speed and efficiency

The only time I could not see AT&T working for someone is if the coverage in their area was better with another carrier.

Cheers!

I recently had issues with a one month old 8820, one month old...........
    Because of ATT's 30 day return policy, I almost couldn't get another NEW phone, ATT wanted to give me a refurbished phone.
    It was not AT&T that wanted to give you a refurbished phone, it was the person you were dealing with. Not every AT&T employee is perfect, the same as any other retail operation.
    As far as my personal experience is concerned, I was able to receive a new phone thanks to a great fellow stacker (harry3334 )and a nice ATT's Fullerton CA store manger named Ramiro, but I indeed was lucky, wasnt I ? , RIM ??
    You were not lucky, you simply got another person working for AT&T that cares, follows the policy AT&T has set out, and took care of you properly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for AT&T, simply reporting what I know about the company after years of dealing with them, and reading the "fine print" on their contracts, and on the web site.

They have always taken care of me and in quite a few situations, actually exceeded my expectations. What more could one want?

Cheers!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

-------

Not going to thread hijack.

Just know that I deal with EVERY wireless carrier in the US on a daily basis both personally and professionally, and AT&T and I have a very long relationship with both.

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

I purchased a refurbished 8100 about 6mths ago and 2mths later it completely froze up. I call customer service and they sent me out another without hesitation. They told me that I was covered under the 1yr warranty. Also anytime I have had a dispute with my bill, they have taken care of that with very little conflict.

I've only been with AT&T for a little over a year, however I do have 5 Berry's with them and I do know that the cost factor of "how much you are spending with them" plays a big part in any company's decision making process.

Because my experience is only positive, I just purchased 2 refurbished 8300 upgrades on my account. I just could not resist the $29.99 ea.

I must say that AT&T have been the best wireless experience thus far and I hope it continues. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeek View Post
    Actually I tried to buy a refurbished phone but they couldn't sell it to me over the phone, they said "we use those for people who have problems", I guess that was you..
    Once again, this was simply the person who picked up the phone call at the call center. I have several friends who have purchased refurbs over the phone. And in every case they looked and worked as new. An incredibly good way to purchase the latest phones at super low prices.

A technique I've been employing more and more as AT&T attempts to keep up with the demand for more call center employees, is as follows: In the rare event that I get someone who seems less than fully trained, experienced, knowledgeable or willing to do the right thing, I simply say thanks and hang up. I immediately call back and end up getting someone who is indeed interested in taking care of their customers. It's fast easy and you end up with what you want.

Also just in case I want to define what AT&T considers a refurb and just what you get when you receive one. Here is the link that explains the benefits: AT&T Refurbished Units

In addition they are very popular so one must watch daily to see what they have, as an example yesterday they were selling refurbished Curve 8300 models for just $49.99 what a deal!

MKhora no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241AAFB7

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Listen. I have experience with Sprint, AT&T, and RIM customer service. 1st of all Sprint WILL rip you off any chance they can get. They tack on a lot of prorated charges etc.
    They did this to me, then when I cancelled My service, they refunded part of My "Prorated" fee. AT&T tried something similar but anyway on to BlackBerry. I thought I had an issue with the cord that came with my blackberry device. They wouldn't replace it. Case in point. These days corporations do not honor their own warranties and policies. Its a new American trend. That's how it works nowadays.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Quote Originally Posted by MKhora View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Listen. I have experience with Sprint, AT&T, and RIM customer service. 1st of all Sprint WILL rip you off any chance they can get. They tack on a lot of prorated charges etc.
    They did this to me, then when I cancelled My service, they refunded part of My "Prorated" fee. AT&T tried something similar but anyway on to BlackBerry. I thought I had an issue with the cord that came with my blackberry device. They wouldn't replace it. Case in point. These days corporations do not honor their own warranties and policies. Its a new American trend. That's how it works nowadays.
    Hmmm I think you're overstating a wee bit. If you're a valued customer and are nice 99% of the time you will be treated fairly. If you're a leech and ask for more than deserved or if you're rude, you get zilch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast