Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

no way should verizon give up cdma, cdma > gsm in terms of data speed ... General Blackberry forum

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Advertisement

no way should verizon give up cdma, cdma > gsm in terms of data speed and voice quality

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Well hate to burst ur bubble but LTE is faster way faster......

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by guyheavensent View Post
    no way should verizon give up cdma, cdma > gsm in terms of data speed and voice quality
    buddy, its not going to be the same as the gsm you know like tmobile or at&t... its gonna be on another level.

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Got hostility Dubai? Verizon did announce that they will adopt LTE as our next 4G spec. CDMA and REV A EVDO have better security protocols. REV A is about 12 times faster than REV 0. National Access runs on REV 0. Broadband Connect is our REV A. And as implimented in North America, REV A is the fastest wireless data service available on widescale. I find RCRNEWS to be most reliable news in the wireless industry.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

mikemunoz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2451368F
    Who cares? All the systems work.....speed is relative........who cares?

The only things that matter = do you like your carrier, phone and service?

If you answer yes then everything else is jibberish being argued by people who have zero lives...........

BigVDawgy no está en línea Stack level 1
    Maybe I'm missing something, but CDMA is Code Division Multiple Access, isn't that for voice communication only? I thought Evolution-Data Optimized (EVDO) and Long Term Evolution (LTE) were for data (and some voice like push-to-talk) transmission only?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    EVDO is for data only but LTE is going to carry voice and data (according to the presentation at the CTIA). They may be moving to VOIP to use voice on LTE.

Zo

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    my curve is cdma so as long as it works I could care less. My 2nd love is iden and every claims thats going away but it aint went nowhere yet so we will see.. I'm not from Missouri but you still have to Show Me

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Very true Mike, that is what matters in the end.
    VZW's new ptt service uses VoIp when the user is in a EVDO coverage area and has access to our PRESENCE service. If the user is not in an EVDO coverage area then it switches 1X and the user has ptt but not over the data network, so the speeds decrease a bit and PRESENCE is no longer available until the user returns to an EVDO coverage area. (I had been in training this week about the new PTT service..)
    IDEN is on it's way out and it's going to be a mess. Sprint has lost over a million users this year..
    From what I have gleaned so far about LTE, it will be able to handle multiple data streams, meaning that the network will be able to carry voice AND data streams at the same time.
    Last edited by caustic; 07-25-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

04Taco no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by caustic View Post
    REV A is about 12 times faster than REV 0.

Actually, The difference in download speed between Rev 0 and Rev A is just a little. Rev 0 maximum burst rate is around 2.5Mbps. Rev A upped that to around 3.1Mbps. This is in almost perfect conditions with no other users on the site. I typically see around 1.1 to 1.2 Mbps in very strong signal. The main advantage Rev A has over Rev 0 is upload speed. It was designed more to support push to talk and VoIP. Rev 0 maximum was around 153 kbps. Rev A jumped that to 1.8Mbps. Again, real world is around 500 to 700 kbps.

PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Rev B

EV-DO Rev B is a multi-carrier evolution of the Rev A specification. It maintains the capabilities of EV-DO Rev A, and provides the following enhancements:
    • Higher rates per carrier (up to 4.9 Mbit/s on the downlink per carrier). Typical deployments are expected to include 2 or 3 carriers for a peak rate of 14.7 Mbit/s
    • Higher rates by bundling multiple channels together enhance the user experience and enables new services such as high definition video streaming.
    • Uses statistical multiplexing across channels to further reduce latency, enhancing the experience for latency-sensitive services such as gaming, video telephony, remote console sessions and web browsing.
    • Increased talk-time and standby time
    • Hybrid frequency re-use which reduces the interference from the adjacent sectors and improves the rates that can be offered, especially to users at the edge of the cell.
    • Efficient support for services that have asymmetric download and upload requirements (i.e. different data rates required in each direction) such as file transfers, web browsing, and broadband multimedia content delivery

PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    While 3GPP Release 8 has yet to be ratified as a standard, much of the standard will be oriented around upgrading UMTS to a so-called fourth generation mobile communications technology, essentially a wireless broadband Internet system with voice and other services built on top.
    The standard includes:
    • Peak download rates of 326.4 Mbit/s for 4x4 antennas, 172.8 Mbit/s for 2x2 antennas for every 20 MHz of spectrum. [1]
    • Peak upload rates of 86.4 Mbit/s for every 20 MHz of spectrum.[2]
    • At least 200 active users in every 5 MHz cell. (i.e., 200 active data clients)
    • Sub-5ms latency for small IP packets
    • Increased spectrum flexibility, with spectrum slices as small as 1.4 MHz (and as large as 20 MHz) supported (W-CDMA requires 5 MHz slices, leading to some problems with roll-outs of the technology in countries where 5 MHz is a commonly allocated amount of spectrum, and is frequently already in use with legacy standards such as 2G GSM and cdmaOne.) Limiting sizes to 5 MHz also limited the amount of bandwidth per handset
    • Optimal cell size of 5 km, 30 km sizes with reasonable performance, and up to 100 km cell sizes supported with acceptable performance
    • Co-existence with legacy standards (users can transparently start a call or transfer of data in an area using an LTE standard, and, should coverage be unavailable, continue the operation without any action on their part using GSM/GPRS or W-CDMA-based UMTS or even 3GPP2 networks such as CDMA or EV-DO)
    • Supports MBSFN (Multicast Broadcast Single Frequency Network). This feature can deliver services such as Mobile TV using the LTE infrastructure, and is a competitor for DVB-H-based TV broadcast.
    A large amount of the work is aimed at simplifying the architecture of the system, as it transits from the existing UMTS circuit + packet switching combined network, to an all-IP flat architecture system.
    Preliminary requirements have been released for LTE-Advanced, expected to be part of 3GPP Release 9. LTE-Advanced will be a software upgrade for LTE networks and enable peak download rates over 1Gbit/s. It also targets faster switching between power states and improved performance at the cell edge

04Taco no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetneo View Post
    Rev B

EV-DO Rev B is a multi-carrier evolution of the Rev A specification.
    If I remember correctly, because of the multi carrier requirements, Rev B was just a specification and was going to be bypassed and all carriers were going to move forward with Rev C. Rev C. is just a software and Data card upgrade and has greater speed improvements.

LanceInPants no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D427F
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    But why, more competition is better for the consumer. Dont you want better prices, better phones?
    Do you think that these huge corporate giant cellular companies really sit there at board meetings and ask the question "what can we do to make things better for the consumer?"? Of course they don't. They ask "how can we get our profits up next quarter??".

PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Taco View Post
    If I remember correctly, because of the multi carrier requirements, Rev B was just a specification and was going to be bypassed and all carriers were going to move forward with Rev C. Rev C. is just a software and Data card upgrade and has greater speed improvements.
    I know that's what i don't understand why they don't do that in the mean time...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast