head to head. i was with a freind of mine. he has an 8703e i ... General Blackberry forum

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

SPEED TEST verizon vs cingular

Advertisement

head to head. i was with a freind of mine. he has an 8703e i have the 8800. both had full survice and i was bored so i did some speed tests.
    i sent an email simultaniously to both devices from a pc. result- the 8800 got the email in 4 minutes the verizon less then a minute. tried it 3 times same result each time.
    heres the interesting one. they say evdo faster then edge. i tried loading 3 diff web sites from each device simultaniously. cnet,nytimes,myspace. each time the 8800 uploaded it about 5-10 seconds faster. and on cnet. the 8703 device timed out.
    let me know what you think of this. and if you switched from verizon to cing. which was faster to you?

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: SPEED TEST verizon vs cingular

Speed on a handheld is a function of many variables. The primary one is the connection, next the processor and then memory. Email is a function the poll process, the network, the connection and the servers you route via and to.

Too many variables plus they are were not the same BB.

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

verizon is faster, I tested both in their stores before I bought the 8703 from vzw

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

All things being equal, the Verizon EVDO is significantly faster than Cingular's EDGE. Now, when Cingular completes their roll out of their 3G service, that will be a different story.

pthomas11 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d70f0b

Interesting test, but I think that it all has to do with where you are located.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

There is a site...I think www.pcpitstop.com that you can go to to test your devices true speed.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

likefre no está en línea Stack level 4

Connection speed comparison between EVDO and EDGE SHOULD be like comparing night and day!..

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

EV-DO advertised as up to 1.2 Mbps, average in the 700 kbps range. EDGE fastest speed is 235 Kbps with the average between 50-70 kbps.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX
    heres the interesting one. they say evdo faster then edge. i tried loading 3 diff web sites from each device simultaniously. cnet,nytimes,myspace. each time the 8800 uploaded it about 5-10 seconds faster. and on cnet. the 8703 device timed out.
    As I've said over and over and over to those griping about the lack of 3G on a BB -- it's a moot point. Page rendering is the current bottleneck so your network speed is pretty much irrelevant unless you're tethering and bypassing the processor on the BB.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

EVDO Rev A will bring speed to about 800kbps which is not a great difference but upload near 400kbps
    EVDO Rev B which Telus should release at the end of the year is suppose to be around 4mbps
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    As I've said over and over and over to those griping about the lack of 3G on a BB -- it's a moot point. Page rendering is the current bottleneck so your network speed is pretty much irrelevant unless you're tethering and bypassing the processor on the BB.

I agree wholeheartedly. No sense waiting for speed on any handheld in my opinion. It ain't gonna happen soon.