^^^^ how do you do that?... General Blackberry forum

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: SPAM Protection help needed ASAP

Advertisement

^^^^ how do you do that?

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick
    there is a spam filter program availible, i saw it in the 3rd part apps section of this site. i was thinking of getting it until i saw the $50 price tag. i have not found a free one yet, or even a moderatley priced one, but i have been looking for something as well. if you come up with anything please let us know.
    yeah, that's the same program...

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

oh then i'm glad i didn't download it lol

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by shmengie
    well, you could try this. i have the same problem as you, so i tried this out. i, personally, think it's a p.o.s., but it might work for you. let us know.

(i suppose i should elaborate a bit...at the normal setting, about 90% of spam got through. and at the high setting, 50-75% of legitimate e-mail was stopped.)

edit: i should say, for full disclosure, that i only had this on my bb for a couple of hours. maybe (although i'm pretty sure not) there's a training period for the filters. and you should know, this app is global. i.e.: it 'protects' all pop3 accounts and there's no way to turn it on/off for specific accounts.
    I wouldn't recommend that software linked above. I downloaded it yesterday and have not been
    getting my emails pushed since loading it.
    Couldn't figure it out until I realized that it was that program install causing my lack of email being
    pushed to my BB. I promptly removed it from my BB and all is well.
    Other than this, I am not sure what to recommend to you for spam control as it is a big problem for me as well.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

for the consumer, GMail's antispam capabilities have to be on the short list to beat. For corporate messaging systems, there are a number of antispam subscription services or antispam appliances with sizes appropriate for small and large enterprises.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

ArgonNJ no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Gmail is the ticket. Have your admin set up an email forward for you.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

I usually try not to dredge up old threads, but I've been using Antair's Anti Spam filter for a week or so, and thought I'd comment. From the descriptions given above, it doesn't even sound like the same program I'm using (yet it is).

It works great, IMO. You can whitelist or blacklist entire domains, whitelist or blacklist individual email addresses, copy your addressbook to the address whitelist, blacklist or whitelist keywords; and it also uses internal logic to guess if inbound mail is spam or not. It works invisibly and moves mail out of your BB's inbox so that you don't even see it.

It can be set to keep copies of filtered mail, 30 maximum most-recent, which can be restored to your inbox if you wish. From this spambox, you can also whitelist or blacklist addresses, domains, keywords right from the menus, in addition to restoring mail.

So the program detected spam falsely? No problem -- whitelist the address or the domain... it won't do it again. Spam hit your inbox but didn't get detected? No problem, blacklist the address or domain, it won't happen again.

It pretty much does everything I want, spam-wise. While I can think of an improvement or two, such as wildcards for domains or addresses, and cut and paste support for pre-emptive filtering, these may be coming in an upcoming release.

While I agree that upstream filtering is the best, this is the next best thing. While I also agree it's pricey at $50, it works. If spam is REALLY a problem and you can't use upstream filters (either via BIS, gmail, whatever), then this is a viable alternative.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12