Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have read alot of posts regarding spam. I am on Cingular and apparently they ... General Blackberry forum

Kilted Gnome no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24134FF4

Question SPAM Protection help needed ASAP

Advertisement

I have read alot of posts regarding spam. I am on Cingular and apparently they are not willing to block spam for their clients.

I use BIS as I am an individual and don't have the benefit of a corporate exchange server to block the spam. Most posts say to create filters, but I cannot create a filter for every spam named drug or product out there.

Is there a software that works for Blackberry. I tried one last week, but it corrputed my service books, prevented me from getting 50% of my email the first day (no spam though) and 100% of my email the next day. It took an hour on the phone with Cingular support to get everything working again.

Please don't advise me to create filters. This is NOT an option. I am asking for knowledge of any software programs that will work. I have 5 email accounts (including the actual BB email account) that I need to protect. Thank you.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Re: SPAM Protection help needed ASAP

well for one thing, are your email(s) a pop3 ,like yahoo, or gmail. Or is it your carriers account. If it's your carriers account unfortuately you'll have to set up keywords. But if it's like a pop3 you can set filters there.

seabirdone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DE5001

I only use BB email address for phone and keep it clear of computer hotmail acc. Not everyone can do that I know.

PIN/ID
    24134FF4

3 emails are from Cox, 1 is BB and 1 is Hosted work email (pop3).

PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Which account is being spammed~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    24134FF4

My Cox emails have spam protection already enacted on their server (Delete incoming junk email automatically. This setting will remove junk email before it reaches your inbox) Nobody has my BB address, so I assume (hate to use that word) that ALL spam is coming to my work email account. Unfortunately, they only let you set up filters specifying words. This is why I am asking for a software program that will do this. I use SPAMfighter for Outlook and it seems to work pretty well. Hasn't anyone developed something like this for BB yet?

PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Sorry boss but I got nothinkg hopefully this bump might help out. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Your mail administrator (I'm assuming you are not the mail admin) should be doing his or her job and bloacking spam better. There are even appliances that can be placed on the edge of your network (Barracuda, McAfee Webshield, etc) that listen to all incoming messages and block spam. You then subscribe to the yearly service, which includes updates for the appliances to "learn."

Someone either needs to become an antispam expert, or you need to hire one, or subscribe to an appliance like the WebShield or Barracuda device above. I vote for the appliance. They are actually quite good!

(hint: You are trying to ice skate uphill here)
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You need upstream spam filtering. If you're getting spam through your work account then, as Aroc has already pointed out, your mail admin isn't doing his/her job. Contact the head of the IT department and get that issue resolved.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

well, you could try this. i have the same problem as you, so i tried this out. i, personally, think it's a p.o.s., but it might work for you. let us know.

(i suppose i should elaborate a bit...at the normal setting, about 90% of spam got through. and at the high setting, 50-75% of legitimate e-mail was stopped.)

edit: i should say, for full disclosure, that i only had this on my bb for a couple of hours. maybe (although i'm pretty sure not) there's a training period for the filters. and you should know, this app is global. i.e.: it 'protects' all pop3 accounts and there's no way to turn it on/off for specific accounts.
    Last edited by shmengie; 08-16-2007 at 11:28 AM.

PIN/ID
    24134FF4

My original post: I use BIS as I am an individual and don't have the benefit of a corporate exchange server to block the spam.

I have enacted a couple filters on my pop3 work email site, but it doesn't really work. FYI to others - The program that was recommended per the previous post "ANTAIR" was the software that screwed up my BB last week (see rest of original post), so I would recommend staying far away from it.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Gnome
    I have enacted a couple filters on my pop3 work email site, but it doesn't really work. FYI to others - The program that was recommended per the previous post "ANTAIR" was the software that screwed up my BB last week (see rest of original post), so I would recommend staying far away from it.
    sorry...didn't realize i was pointing you to the very culprit. it didn't hose my bb. but, like i said, it just doesn't work well at all. good luck, and let us know if you find something.

PIN/ID
    24134FF4

No worries. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I couldn't remember the name of the program until I went to your link.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

there is a spam filter program availible, i saw it in the 3rd part apps section of this site. i was thinking of getting it until i saw the $50 price tag. i have not found a free one yet, or even a moderatley priced one, but i have been looking for something as well. if you come up with anything please let us know.

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Hello Kilted Gnome! What I do is forward all my emails to one Gmail account. Gmail has a setting that can be set to get emails from different email accounts. Honestly I'm happy how Gmail filters the spam. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast