I have had a Sprint BB 8830 World Phone for over a year now, and ... General Blackberry forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Something totally weird just happened...

Advertisement

I have had a Sprint BB 8830 World Phone for over a year now, and something very odd just happened yesterday. One of my biggest complaints when I moved from GSM to CDMA was that you had no way of tracking text messages. For instance, when you send a text message via a GSM handset you can set it to display a small "d" when it has been delivered and a small "r" when the message is read. CDMA has no such capability, or so I thought. Yesterday, all of a sudden I noticed a text message I sent to my wife displayed the "d" after a few minutes. I chuckled to myself and just figured it was a software bug....until it happened again. The next four text messages I sent to her (and only her) displayed the "d" a short time later. I never received the "r", and the notifications stopped happening just as randomly as they started. Of note, she uses a GSM handset (a BB Pearl actually) however no other messages sent to anyone else gave me any notification. Now the notifications have stopped, and I am wondering exactly what happened. Can anyone explain this??

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    i know on my pearl handset from verizon, it does the D for delivery, but i never got a R for it being read, it might jsut be a carrier thing

maybe they are tinkering with the system to do that?

Yeah, Sprint must have been tinkering around yesterday as its never happened before (and has already stopped). However, the "d" is fairly useless as indications go , so if they do choose to implement it I hope they allow for the "r" which is all that really counts anyway.

KyleBB8100 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    Sure it wasn't a PIN message you sent her? I've seen PIN messages do that.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    I am thinking the same thing, about PIN messages.

No, she cant get PIN messages because she has no data capability on the phone (long story). I dont even have her PIN saved in my device for that very reason.

mithed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31b2be00
    I am on verizon and I checked my text folder after reading this and noticed that I have a "d" only when I send messages to another vzw user. When I send to a friend on sprint or ATT then I dont have any delivery indicatiors.

Whats strange is that I dont get them on Sprint to Sprint (CDMA), Sprint to Verizon (CDMA), or Sprint to Tmobile (GSM). Yet somehow, 4 messages to ATT (GSM) did respond with the "d". Its quite puzzling!

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    Hmmm. Sometime today I'm going to test this and see if we can figure out the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleBB8100 View Post
    Hmmm. Sometime today I'm going to test this and see if we can figure out the rules.
    I see that you have a GSM handset (according to your profile), so do you get the "r" and "d" with all your text messages, or is it just to other GSM phones?

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    Actually - looking at my SMS inbox right now - I have three text messages between my wife and I.

She is T-Mobile as well. But not using a Blackberry.

I've got no D or R indicators at all.

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    You're attached to BES on your Blackberry? Perhaps this has something to do with it?

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    I had my delivery reports turned off. I've turned them back on - we'll see what happens.

Yes I suspect with the reports turned on you will see the indicators, because I did/do receive them on all my GSM handsets. I am on a BES.

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    Blammo. I turned them on.

Now I am getting the D for delivered. No R, though I know she read it because she responded.

I am sending one to a CDMA user now to see if I get the same result.

** Edit: I got the D for a CDMA SMS message as well. Still no R though.
    Last edited by KyleBB8100; 09-26-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: UPDATE