Rather than get into all the back and forth about the deal to take Blackberry ... General Blackberry forum

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3

So...what does this mean for Blackberry

Advertisement

Rather than get into all the back and forth about the deal to take Blackberry private...I guess my question is more about...what does the current landscape of the industry mean for Blackberry going forward? Are they going to survive and be an ongoing company, producing devices, etc.? Rumors of their demise have been going on for years, and seemed to be drastically exaggerated. I am not tech knowledgeable -- hence my handle, LOL -- but between the "drama" and efforts to raise eyebrows, shock people, etc., I think the death notice type of things are very often exaggerated. Regardless, what's the deal here?

Will Blackberry end up like the Betamax? I get they are being destroyed so to speak by others/competition. Everyone I know is using an iPhone and they are picking up traction in the corporate marketplace. I don't know if Motorola/Android or whatever their top of the like smartphone is today is still a major player. I don't know the marketplace very well, but I am interested, and very interested what this means to Blackberry and us loyal users.

Thank you in advance for any insight, opinions, perspectives, etc.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    As has been said countless times, BlackBerry is why PinStack exists, what brought us all together, and eventually what tore us all apart. Hayden had the foresight to change to an all-platform-inclusive site years ago, which unfortunately drove many people away. I think it's about the same time he got his first iPhone that he saw the writing on the wall for BlackBerry and chose the direction he did for the PinStack community. There's no doubt in my mind that the majority of the people who got pissed off and left because of that change are no longer even on the BlackBerry platform and have since found sites like XDA, or iPhone-related forums to frequent, not realizing we still had a lot of that expertise here.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think we can all agree that the devices BlackBerry has out now are 3-5 years behind the curve (no pun intended). Had they developed those devices back then, they'd still be in the thick of the smartphone battle with Apple and the Android kings. They cannot and will not be able to compete in today's market with those devices, despite the plethora of BlackBerry faithful, whose numbers I believe continue to dwindle.

Taking the company private again will in one respect enable them to hide from the microscopic scrutiny they've found themselves under and focus on continuing to try and turn things around. They failed miserably by going all in on the Z10, Q10 and now the Z30 devices, all of which are inferior in so many ways to the current lineup of high end devices available out there, and yet they feel can command the premium prices.

Nobody wants to see them go under, especially those of us whose first smartphone was a BlackBerry device, but they definitely have their work cut out for them. Yes, we've written them off before, and this latest chain of events is even more cause for concern, but maybe.....just maybe this one last gasp of breath for them will prove to be the one that rights the ship.

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    As has been said countless times, BlackBerry is why PinStack exists, what brought us all together, and eventually what tore us all apart. Hayden had the foresight to change to an all-platform-inclusive site years ago, which unfortunately drove many people away. I think it's about the same time he got his first iPhone that he saw the writing on the wall for BlackBerry and chose the direction he did for the PinStack community. There's no doubt in my mind that the majority of the people who got pissed off and left because of that change are no longer even on the BlackBerry platform and have since found sites like XDA, or iPhone-related forums to frequent, not realizing we still had a lot of that expertise here.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think we can all agree that the devicesBlackBerry has out now are 3-5 years behind the curve (no pun intended). Had they developed those devices back then, they'd still be in the thick of the smartphone battle with Apple and the Android kings. They cannot and will not be able to compete in today's market with those devices, despite the plethora of BlackBerry faithful, whose numbers I believe continue to dwindle.

Taking the company private again will in one respect enable them to hide from the microscopic scrutiny they've found themselves under and focus on continuing to try and turn things around. The failed miserably by going all in on the Z10, Q10 and now the Z30 devices, all of which are inferior in so many ways to the current lineup of high end devices available out there, and yet they feel they can command premium prices for them.

Nobody wants to see them go under, especially those of us whose first smartphone was a BlackBerry device, but they definitely have their work cut out for them. Yes, we've written them off before, and this latest chain of events is even more cause for concern, but maybe.....just maybe this one last gasp of breath for them will prove to be the one that rights the ship.
    Thank you for the reply Roger. I joined here in 2005 but as you can well see from my posts I was virtually non-existent. I read a great deal and learned a lot from the resident experts, but for a tech idiot like me it's hard to contribute. I don't know the history or the players so I don't know about your reference to "what tore us all apart" and Hayden changing to an all-platform-inclusive site. Regardless, I am familiar with the dynamics of a forum.

In speaking to my tech people, I have heard as you said that BB is behind the curve and playing catch up so to speak. I think the biggest problem, strategically and from a corporate perspective is when you lose market share -- users -- and those #'s are dwindling, it is very difficult to "create" devices that are part of the solution. Meaning, you can come out with a device to halt the dwindling, but it is next to impossible to create a device to "get people back" or recapture users. At least not to the extent that a corporate balance sheet would see an impact. Sure, there are exceptions, but that's the norm I think. Yes, you can do that over time, but the bleeding that takes place while you are trying to improve, recapture, etc. -- it's like you are putting your fingers in cracks in the dam, and as we know, once you seem to be able to take a breath, another crack appears.

Yes, taking the company private can help -- corporately, and strategically -- in many ways. I didn't know that the Z and the Q being failures, and I am sorry to hear that. I don't know if the "taking the company private" involves major or massive changes, perhaps management changes, shake up, etc., or what -- and I certainly wouldn't even dream of saying I know what I am talking about in this type of discussion, but it appears that the company needs some major, across the board overhaul and changes in many areas -- products/devices, pricing, management, etc. Commanding "premium" prices for inferior devices, with dwindling users, and so on doesn't make for improving situations.

I always thought they had "an edge" so to speak in the corporate marketplace. I don't know if that exists any longer or if it ever did. I am sure there is plenty of brilliance out there that can re-frame, re-tool, and overhaul the company. We've seen it before -- coincidentally -- with Apple! No reason we can't see it here...I hope. Thank you again Roger.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    In the grand scheme of things, sales of their new devices have indeed failed to live up to expectations. While I'm sure the talk of a buyout, privatizing, etc have gone on long before the sales numbers were announced, I'm also sure the relatively poor sales expedited the process.

You are absolutely correct in that BlackBerry will probably never be able to create a device and/or operating system to win back that lost market share. I think they came along way with the current device line-up and BB10, but once again, it was too little, too late. Can they somehow build on what they've already come up with and turn things around? Who knows.....

We saw Apple start to head down the same path. They've since completely revamped their OS and their new device sales seem to be pretty good. But I believe they'll lose market share if they don't come up with something to compete with the Galaxy S4s and HTC Ones of the world, size-wise. iOS7 is definitely a somewhat radical departure from what we've been used to, but the jury is still out on how people are responding to it.