Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

...And I'm sure a lot of others have thought about this as well, what if ... General Blackberry forum

rogerswireless no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile So I Was Thinking...

Advertisement

...And I'm sure a lot of others have thought about this as well, what if BB's had a built in Backup/Restore that saved the .ipd file to the memory stick.

I don't know if this is out there or not, but I think it would be so convenient for those on the go "wipe handheld" cases.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Or card via micro-sd card reader...that way you could load in from your BB's card w/out toting another stick around. Good idea!

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    why when DM does it for you automatically? plus you would then have to integrate DM into the memory card to be able to access the .ipd file in order to restore your handheld...would probably take some intensive programming...but it's an idea...why not have it be done OTA and every BB that is activated has auto-backup to a RIM server specifically designated for backing up your hand held...that would be a more feesible solution i think

PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    Jbee he was referring to the micro SD card...technically it's still considered a mem stick

rogerswireless no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post
    why when DM does it for you automatically? plus you would then have to integrate DM into the memory card to be able to access the .ipd file in order to restore your handheld...would probably take some intensive programming...but it's an idea...why not have it be done OTA and every BB that is activated has auto-backup to a RIM server specifically designated for backing up your hand held...that would be a more feesible solution i think
    I love DM as much as the next person, but like I said it would be convenient for when you find you need to backup/restore and you don't have access to DM.

I like the OTA idea. It would probably be a lot easier. I know Rogers has something like that called Mobile Backup. I think the next version of BIS should have this feature.

PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    i was saying that DM would have to be integrated into the memory some how in order to actually be able to execute the restoration of the .ipd file...OTA should be done asap to save people the hassle and also to have a second place to backup/restore their devices

PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Portable apps are growing more popular w/the techno-age...I do not think I want my info on Rim Server...just in case they cave in to a country like India.-lol! But RIM should design a portable app. that you can download to your card and give you a free reader so you can access back-up anywhere-Encrypted to your device Only!

PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    you have a BB you are in some way/shape/form already on a RIM server with your information available at their fingertips...sorry to burst your bubble

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Only thing bad about OTA backup, is if you cant get online then whats the point anyway.... Unless you had say an SD card with backup settings that allow you to get online but then why not just put the other 60 MBs or so on the card and do it all in one go..... aww remeber the days of bat files, I had backups to restore backups from a backup all on a floppy :P
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    i'm sure if RIM did decide to have a OTA backup/restore server they would make it available even to those without internet...afterall it's all transferred over the same air waves

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't know if this fact applies to this thread or not but you all know you can B U your BB to your media card and, presumably, restore it from any P-C that has a DM on it.

So, that way, you can carry the BU with you and use it if and when you might need it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    That would be cool, really cool, with devce upgrades going OTA with 4.5 u will prob see something along the lines of what u stated soon

PIN/ID
    3047D925
    you have a BB you are in some way/shape/form already on a RIM server with your information available at their fingertips...sorry to burst your bubble
    Not if you utilize your security settings properly. My bubble is still intact cause it's encrypted to my device.( the way that they encode our x-missions is their secret...all private info, stays private w/proper encryption.)

PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I don't know if this fact applies to this thread or not but you all know you can B U your BB to your media card and, presumably, restore it from any P-C that has a DM on it.

So, that way, you can carry the BU with you and use it if and when you might need it.
    Does info stay encrypted or can it be leaked to guest PC? I would like to know this if possible. My work has Hi-tech, techs on staff...don't want any nerds getting my info.(CAT Inc.) I know I can encrypt card to device only, but how does this affect this situation. You are the teacher, I am but the student. Any tips helpful....

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Yeah I Just had an update recently, that my work is installing group wide policies and software to monitor any usb device connection, and can monitor what is on the usb device as long as transfer takes place.. If you just hook it up to charge, but never open anything then they dont know.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast