Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The network is why I stick with them. I gotta give them that.... General Blackberry forum

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293

Advertisement

The network is why I stick with them. I gotta give them that.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Wow!! Strangely I have been defending Verizon lately even though that doesn't reflect my true feelings.

The 160 character per text issue is something that was actually handed down by RIM not Verizon. And I was told this by my local RIM rep. Crazy as it seems I believe it. If you go through most of Verizon's phone almost all can break the single page texting limit. Including a few of the windows smart phones.

I know it doesn't solve the current problem but I can sympathize completely. I was so close to returning my 8830 way back after only two days for this reason single handedly. But the BlackBerrys have so many more ways to communicate which is why I have went from about 10,000 texts a month down to about 200 seriously.

With JiveTalk I have every single I'm service I could want to use including MySpace, I can blog, of course email, and my personal favorite BlackBerry messenger.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

04Taco no está en línea Stack level 3
    The reason you are limited to 160 characters is due to the data packets transmitted between the phone, cellsite, and mobile switching office. The data packets are transmitted in between the data packets of your voice and the other partys voice, as well as any data packets for call processing like changing the transmitted power of the mobile, signal level request, handoffs between other sites, and so on. 160 characters is the maximum space available that will fit in the space provided for each message. If the phone didnit limit it to 160 characters, the remaining characters would be cut off and lost.

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293
    That's interesting. I wonder why I am able to receive texts that are over 160 from other VZ users on non-BBs. Also, I wonder why I was able to send longer ones on my old, pre-BB cell phone.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    But even though it was handed down by RIM my TMo still does the 960 limit...so why would they only tell VZW to limit and not all the other providers? Anyways yes the multitude of ways to communicate on a BB is the reason I have one too.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post
    But even though it was handed down by RIM my TMo still does the 960 limit...so why would they only tell VZW to limit and not all the other providers? Anyways yes the multitude of ways to communicate on a BB is the reason I have one too.
    ATT too, 960 is the limit here. Can't think of why VZW's 160 limit's there though... what's the difference between, say, 3 texts messages consecutively via compounding and three separate ones, other than time? Same amount of data, just split up...?
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    maybe it's a CDMA thing...any sprint users only allowed 160 for SMS and not 6 160s like TMo and AT&T?

04Taco no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sorry, I should have stated that. The 160 character limit is only for CDMA. It is specified in the CDMA2000 standards, so all CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, etc) are bound to it. There is no way around this for standard SMS messages. It is possible that some messages are sent using MMS/picture mail or even email and that is why they may be longer than 160 characters. Picture mail uses the data network instead of the voice network so the size of the packets do not matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12