Way before I got into this I seem to recollect (principally) young kids with (probably) ... General Blackberry forum

capdgow no está en línea Stack level 2

SMS in Morse Code?

Advertisement

Way before I got into this I seem to recollect (principally) young kids with (probably) Nokias whose SMS messages were in morse code format. I just happened to understand it from being at sea in the dark ages .... to the kids it appeared to be a nuisance. I don't hear the dots and dashes anymore these days.

I was just curious if such a system still existed? For someone like me it would be handy to receive messages audibly without disrupting whatever I was doing and it would similarly be a boon for transmitting SMS without having your eyes glued to the screen and both thumbs in action.

Any info out there?

mrstaccs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    303683c8
    Morse code? That still exists(I know it does)? If I'm not typing with my thumbs, its not worth typing. Soon high school and college essays are gonna be typed with thumbs and I bet they are gonna be the best ones. On a side note, what was this post about again? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

sstephanie40 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ... -- ... Yes it's still available. Over here in the UK anyway

hmmmm. Morse code would enable you to send and receive sms with the unit still in your pocket, so to speak. It is a series of beeps.

Hah! ... Thanks Stephanie. How would I get it on my BB??

jonesjj no está en línea Stack level 3
    It doesn't convert sms to Morse Code but it does create midi Morse Code ring tones.

http://www.planetofnoise.com/midi/morse2mid.php

auroran no está en línea Stack level 2
    The Nokias had 2 Morse code messages when receiving a text message. The first one was just SMS which I found often confused w/ SOS due to a single dash difference.
    The other one was Nokia's slogan "Connecting people". I do miss them on occasion after giving up my 6310i in favour of my first BB a 7130g.

mrstaccs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    303683c8
    Which do ya'll think would win in a cage fight, morse code or binary? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

p8ntballa no está en línea Stack level 2
    That would be pretty bad arse to have your texts converted to morse code and have it transmitted into my jawbone so I can hear my messages~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Instantz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I never knew a such thing existed. This is pretty interesting, when did this ever really exist?
    -MOTO*DROID- *Verizon Wireless*

It was pretty well the first means of wireless broadcasting of text over long distances and was principally used on ships. It has the ability to enable low-power radio signals to travel great distances which would ordinarily result in distortion of human voice transmissions. It was also used over land-lines for telegraph messages .... you must have seen it in old wild west movies.

Instantz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well I mean for cell phone wise, I knew what it was for like ships. I was just thinking of how it would have worked there for a minute for cell phones.
    And yes I have seen all of that before.
    -MOTO*DROID- *Verizon Wireless*

hobbified no está en línea Stack level 1
    It's not that Nokias ever had software to send/receive SMS using morse code. It's that the default tone that played when an SMS message was received was "dididit dahdah dididit" -- that is, "SMS" in morse code.

OK, Hobbified and jonesJJ. Thanks. Looks like you are telling me the morse tones were limited to the "alert" tone only. Sorry, I did not know. I was hoping for a lot more.
    Thanks also to everyone else for contributing. Much appreciated.