Received an e-mail from Skype a couple of days ago, recommending I download the App ... General Blackberry forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

SKYPE and Blackberry

Advertisement

Received an e-mail from Skype a couple of days ago, recommending I download the App for SKYPE mobile, of course when I checked it out it was for Verizon. Very interesting to see that SKYPE are also selling the Verizon blackberry's some extra advertising for the guys. Don't think the App will work with ATT though.

So has anyone tried it yet on their Verizon BB's. Does it work with data or does it work over the phone. Be interesting to hear how people like it. Is it a memory hog? Are the phones fast enough?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I tried to DL it a couple of times and never succeeded - constant declining free memory problems - 8330 + 5.0 - will delete some apps and try again later.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Got it! Executed it and I get the following msg:

Skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless phones
    Close
    I guess, even though I'm a (converted) Verizon customer, my phone is still an Alltel Blackberry so there you go - I can't use it. Bummer!

UPDATE: After about an hour I finally got an actual email address for customer service and sent them my issue. I will post back when I get an answer.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 04-08-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I know that for Android, it works on the 3G network, will not work on wifi. I don't know if it's possible to get it work on ATT phones or not...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I had a feeling that the App could have problems with BB, I have been following issues over the years with getting SKYPE on BB, and most of the reasons for not doing it was memory and speed of the BB devices. That's where our friends on Androids and Iphones have more success, more APP memory faster processor etc. Oh well I use the Skype Mobile number which is fairly good for international calls providing you are calling from the local area, not much use though when travelling internationally

Dushdavj, I have IM+ for Skype (now changed to IM+ Talk) that you might try - it works better than nothing. It's uses a callback technique rather than actual VOIP but you can try it free for 7 days. Get it here. You might want to try it the next time you have the need to make a few calls.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Dushdavj, I have IM+ for Skype (now changed to IM+ Talk) that you might try - it works better than nothing. It's uses a callback technique rather than actual VOIP but you can try it free for 7 days. Get it here. You might want to try it the next time you have the need to make a few calls.
    Jblackfish, thank you for your suggestion, I can manage great with the SKYPE local number but the problem comes when I travel overseas and I get charged heavily for calls on my phone but do not get charged for data, and any long calls could be done on WIFI, I don't think that IM+ would be an advantage. On the PC I can either use Google Voice or SKYPE, so I will live with that for a while.

melder215 no está en línea Stack level 2
    IM+TALK will let me make VOIP calls over wifi on my at&t 8320. albeit they are bad call, and it drops, and you have to press to talk. but it can do it. problem is you have to pay 30 dollars for the im+talk app. and they skypeout mins. if any of you are rich and whanna help a fellow bb out with payin for im+talk i would appreciate it. i have a used bb, on a prepaid plan, with no data.

whiloh no está en línea Stack level 1
    the verizon app is data for text chatting, but a call out on mobile network to place skype calls, so you use mins for the actual calls, but it allows calls to skype users that are on pc side, so is great for international calling!

melder215 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i have tried MANY VOIP apps. none got far. dont bother with mo-call i did get a skype client to install on 8320, but it doesnt get far.
    it is possible, and someone will figure it out. if any 8320 users get wifi voip working other than UMA contact me..