Been browsing these excellent forums for a while, and wanted to ask a few simple ... General Blackberry forum

oli.watts no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Simple Newbie Questions

Advertisement

Been browsing these excellent forums for a while, and wanted to ask a few simple questions of you knowledgeable folks if thats ok!

My work is unable/unwilling to provide a corporate BB solution, and i need one as i'm out of the office an awful lot. I'm trying to kludge together a solution so here are my questions:

1) How reliable is the BIS for connecting to an Exchange Account? What settings need to be enabled on the Exchange server to allow this?

2) If I can access my Exchange account through BIS does this push/sync Calendar data too?

3) Does the BB 7290 sync via bluetooth?

4) I've read a lot about the Redirector. Is it a worthwhile solution?

5) All my work email is forwarded to a Gmail account. Am I able to spoof my reply-to and from address fields to be my work address?

Apologies for so many questions, and many thanks for taking the trouble to read them.

All the best,

Oli

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Simple Newbie Questions

hi Oli! welcome to pinstack
    im gonna try to help as best i can
    1) i push email OWA and sometimes its pretty instant and sometimes its <10 minutes...it really just varies. as for settings, yes, something has to be set (so they say) im not really sure what though...someone with more technical background can help there
    2) no, the only thing that you will get is inbox email. if you have filters set up to filter mail, you won't receive those either. just what comes to your inbox
    3) not sure
    4) im sure if OWA isn't available for you, then the redirector would work
    5) i think there is a 3rd party app that does that...i know ive seen some talk about it here...

well...at least that answers 'some' of your questions

oli.watts no está en línea Stack level 1

Cherri,

Many thanks for your response, really good of you.

Be good to know more about the OWA settings needed on the server side.

I had another additional question, do you know if the BB email software adds people you've mailed to an auto-complete drop down list like in Outlook so their message appears when you start to type? (Hope that makes sense)

All the best,

Oli

PIN/ID
    ATA

yes...once you start to type their name, a choice list will appear

i'd ask your IT folks if they are aware of any settings that have to be turned on...

tcv
    tcv no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32b86b00

Cherri,

I'm confused. What advantages over POP are you getting hooking up to OWA? Do you need to run software on your computer and leave it on?

PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'm using the company exchange server to push my inbox email. If you are looking for a technical explanation I'm afraid I don't have one. My company wanted to add my personal bb to the bes and I didn't want to so this is the solution they gave me to getting email. Nothing has to be running to receive email. But it is only inbox email.

tcv
    tcv no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32b86b00

Technical explanation isn't necessary. I appreciate your help.

It sounds like you don't get any other folders -- no sub-folders, for instance. You just have the inbox, eh?

confused! no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello im a newbie blackberry owner and im geting a little stressed with it lol!

i really dont know how to put mp3's onto my blackberry pearl, i want to use it instead of my ipod! i have tried everything and i have been searching the internet for 3 days looking for a solutuion. i have installed the tools disk i got with the phone but still no joy...

has anybody in this wondeful forum able to help me??

thankyou!!!

lauren

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Hi Lauren,

Did you purchase a memory card for your pearl to store the MP3's on? Assuming you did, you'll want to open up your BB Desktop Manager on your PC and check choose the 'Media Manager' Option. You can then browse to the MP3's on your PC and copy them to the appropriate folder on the Blackberry.

I don't believe theres enough storage on the BB itself for even one song (and I might be mistaken, but I think theres also a limit to the size of the file you can transfer...)

If you were using an ipod and purchased your music via iTunes, keep in mind the DRM - you may not be able to play songs on another device (without some workarounds).

Hope this helps!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

blackberryJ no está en línea Stack level 1

hi there,

I am also a BB user newbie. I have been trying to find ways to personalize my ringtones by looking for a free realtones download. However, most of the download links i saw around here requires me to use my BB browser but i don't have it as I have not subscribed yet with my network provider. So I think what i need is a download link to my pc and then on to my BB (it worked with downloading themes). How do I do that?

many thanks in advance,

jessica

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Hey Jessica,

If you don't mind putting a little effort into it, you can create your own ringtones from your MP3's.. theres a post on here (I'll try to find it, the search was too vague) which provides a link to an app which lets you take a part of an MP3 and make it a ringtone. I ended up using that - it was simple to do and let me use some more obscure songs that theres no way I'd ever find online...

EDIT: This isn't the one I used, but it looks like it does the same thing:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ones_free.html

Aside from that, there are ringtone threads here with links to some places you can download pre-made ringtones... (I honestly don't know about the 8707 and what is/isn't supported).

EDIT: This is the best place to start!

And oh yeah... Welcome to Pinstack!!!
    Last edited by hls811; 04-04-2007 at 03:07 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hi there,

thanks for the quick reply. I don't really mind doing it myself but like i said, no matter what i look for i am always directed to a link that tells me to use my BB browser (which I can't). So I am stuck. Any idea where i can download a zip file of some sort with the ringtones in it plus the application software required? That then i can download off to my and from there i can probably manage.

thanks again

jessica

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Take a look at the link I posted up there (I think I was editting as you were writing so you may have missed it). That you can do from a PC browser... I've never used it, but it looks pretty cool and simple.

With any ringtones, you can always load them via the Desktop Manager using the same instructions above for the MP3's. Theres a ringrones folder you'd dump 'em into instead of the regular music folder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hi there,

i can't see any "Media Manager" options. Anyways, I saved a couple of sample MP3s on my PC and when i tried to add the files on to my BB using the Desktop Manager, it won't recognize the format and would only recognize .alx & .ali extensions. Gosh, this is really exasperating.

thanks by the way for your welcome message. the link on how to install a theme was very useful

jessica

PIN/ID
    ATA

::edit:: i am assuming you have an sd card?

jessica, that is because you have enabled mass storage.
    shut down desktop manager and plug bb back in.
    you should get a pop up window asking for directions
    simply scroll to the bottom where it says 'open folder to view files'
    then go find the mp3's you want to put on bb, either drag to bb or cut/paste.

you can try www.mobile41.com or www.tuneusin.com from your pc...once you find the ringtone and it begins playing, save it and then you can transfer later using the method i explained above.

one thing, there is a file size limit to the ringtones you can add...although i am not positive what that is.