Does anyone know if a Simple Mobile (T-Mobile USA MVNO) SIM would work with UMA ... General Blackberry forum

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Simple Mobile & UMA for 9700, 8900, 8820, 8520, 8320, 8220, 8120, others

Does anyone know if a Simple Mobile (T-Mobile USA MVNO) SIM would work with UMA devices in UMA-only mode? I would expect it to work in theory as these SIMs even work in locked T-Mobile USA phones but I wouldn't be surprised if it did not work. If it does work, that would be great as plans include unlimited voice & unlimited global SMS but no roaming at all.

I'd rather not buy a SIM if I could get verification that it does indeed work first.

Thanks a bunch if anyone could test it out.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Blog Entries
    This could go either way, but I'm inclined to think that you won't have functional UMA. The subsidy SIM locks are based on a numeric (I think 3 digits) SIM network ID, and it's not too surprising that an MVNO would have the same network ID in their SIMs as the network provider. UMA provisioning includes a specific carrier UNC address, certificate, and protocol version. Whether you'll be able to authenticate with the UNC will depend on how integrated the customer account and billing systems are between the MVNO and T-Mobile.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    So I guess I just have to try it & see?

melder215 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i thought simple mobile was regular GSM.. i have one card here. i KNOW that i had a qwertcorp.com txt message only sim card. it used tmobile towers and WOULD work on UMA. (the card being no longer active service) it sent the txt messasges over wifi, no GSM. i thought that was very odd. i can still put the sim in a 8320 and the uma letters come up and my wifi logo turns while. which is really cool cause then i can wifi to appworld and other places. really.. its cool. now if i can turn uma on my at&t 8320, then put a dual sim adapter. then i can keep the old qwertcorp sim just to light up the wifi logo.
    whats with the MVNO? i might try a month just to get the unlimited data. but ill wait till traveling. the sim card was cheap on ebay.