How do I correctly turn on SIM Card Security? I would like to secure my ... General Blackberry forum

danmonline no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down SIM Card Security

Advertisement

How do I correctly turn on SIM Card Security?

I would like to secure my SIM card. I tried to enter the PIN code that the Status page displays when prompted by the security enable screen. The entry is rejected. I only have one try left before the BB locks up.

Since the BB does not display a password field entry briefly, at each character, before replacing it with an *, I cannot check my typing. Some other phones I have used do this for fumble fingers like me. The PIN is alphanumeric.

If you have secured your SIM card, did you use the PIN number that Status shows? Did you have to perform any other steps to get the PIN enterred?
    Last edited by danmonline; 02-14-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Notification change

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: SIM Card Security

I have never used SIM security. Maybe the code is something that comes from the service provider.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

The security PIN for your SIM is not your Blackberry PIN. The first is a security code for your SIM. The latter is the hardware address of your Blackberry. They're two entirely separate things and you should actually know the PIN for your SIM if there's one set. Default is usually 0000, IIRC.

If you only have one try left I wouldn't mess with it any more.

danmonline no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile Re: SIM Card Security

I wanted to protect my SIM from reuse if the phone is stolen. That is my understanding of the intent of this
    feature. It seems like the acronym PIN is used in too many places. Thanks for clarifying this.

Do you know how to unlock the BB if a try again and fail?

The PIN number on your SIM card is a 4-digit number you set yourself. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card on your Berry, and at the top of that screen it will tell you whether SIM card security is enabled or disabled. If disabled, click your trackwheel (or, in your case, trackball) and follow the menu prompts to set it. If there is already a security code on the SIM that you don't know, after your third incorrect attempt it will lock up the SIM card so it cannot be used. If you're the owner of the SIM you can then call your service provider and they will give you instructions how to release it.