Is there a keyboard shortcut for closing/exiting/shutting down apps? I mean really shutting it down ... General Blackberry forum

anaenima no está en línea Stack level 3

Shutting down apps keyboard shortcut

Advertisement

Is there a keyboard shortcut for closing/exiting/shutting down apps? I mean really shutting it down and not putting it in the background/minimizing/etc.

Thanks.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    No, you need to manually exit the application, using the "close" or "exit" option in their menu (the "hide" option, where offered, will cause the application to "sleep", as mentioned below)...

Some applications (such as the browser and messages) are ALWAYS open, though they go into a sort of "sleep" mode to save on memory.

There are ALWAYS about 5 or 6 applications that "sleep" in the background - on my device this is messages, the browser, BlackBerry Messenger, phone/call-log and Handango InHand.

~via my BlackBerry Curve 8300 (wap.pinstack.com)~

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    and Handango InHand.
    no no handango is a 3rd party app and should be "always" running in the background.

the 5 you should have are , messages, the browser, blackberry messenger, phone/call-log and the home screen icon.

anaenima no está en línea Stack level 3
    Man that sucks. No kboard shortcut to shutdown apps. Its getting tiring to go to the app's menu and search for the shutdown/exit/close button.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    well you could use al+esc but that only sends the program to run in the background.

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    no no handango is a 3rd party app and should be "always" running in the background.
    Handango InHand IS always running in the background, which I understand is its way of keeping its catalog updated...

You are right though - it's a third-party application and you won't see this unless you actually have it optionally installed (I should've been more specific...).

Quote Originally Posted by anaenima View Post
    Man that sucks. No kboard shortcut to shutdown apps. Its getting tiring to go to the app's menu and search for the shutdown/exit/close button.
    MOST applications WILL close if you hit the back arrow though... Of all the applications I have installed (which is quite a lot), about 3/4 can be closed like by pressing the back arrow.

Give it a few days and you'll quickly learn which are the few that you need to manually quit...

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    yea or some you can just press the end key but like cyba said, some apps act differently when it comes to actually closing the program

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    try holding your alt key and while holding it press the back arrow. A small screen will pop up with exactly what is running. If you continue to hold down the alt key, each time you press the arrow it will take you to another program that is running, select it and then you can shut it down in that apps normal menu.

I know this sounds like a lot but I never realized exactly HOW MANY apps I had running in the background until a fellow stacker taught me this trick Many ppl think just hitting the back arrow will do it and thats NOT the case. Programs will still remain running unless they are actually exited or closed out.
    Providing customers with the latest in news and info along with experienced one on one tech support, training, product sales, exclusive themes and more.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    try holding your alt key and while holding it press the back arrow.
    yea you have to be careful with some of those 3rd party apps bc they can be sneaky when it comes to closing them.

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    I find that games are frequently forced into the background... There have been a number of games I've had to switch to, and then manually close.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    the most common ones i notice are either my address book or the camera. they always seem to stay running because of all the separate menus open in the app.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

That's interesting, from my 40+ installed apps, almost all except (3-4) MINIMIZE when hitting the back arrow.